Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heading to San Francisco - any auggestion on some good BD/DVD stores?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 07:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm headed out next week to spend about a week in the San Francisco Bay area. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good Blu Ray/DVD stores in the area? Looking for mostly Asian films. Thanks!
Old 09-30-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Heading to San Francisco - any auggestion on some good BD/DVD stores?

If you are looking for mostly Asian Films there aren't too many stores and the ones that exist are sort of spread out.

2 DVD Stores In Chinatown SF: I can't remember what street they are on, but both are right off the main street under the front gates. One sells a mix of legit releases and bootlegs. The other was closed the last time I tried to go (a couple months ago)

Kingstone Bookstore (Richmond, CA): This one is at the Pacific East/99 Ranch Market off Central Ave. in Richmond. They have a nice selection of Asian films. All of their New Releases are always displayed on an endcap when you first walk in the store. Their catalog titles are around the left side. Prices are a little higher than DDDHouse. Everything they sell there is legit, no boots.

Stores in Japan Town SF: Inside one of the two main malls that are in Japan Town in SF, is a very large video store. They sell mostly Asian films and as with the Chinatown stores, a mix of legit releases as well as boots. Most of the stuff is overpriced.

If you are looking for some of our biggest DVD stores in general:

Amoeba Music in SF (Haight St.): If you love music or movies, you definitely have to visit this store. It's gigantic and their new and used DVD/BD selection is fantastic. Many times you will find that they price random things based on OOP status or Ebay prices, but they have solid prices on their Used DVD/BD's. They also have a great Clearance Section where you can get obscure (and not so obscure) titles for cheap. There was one Summer where a friend and I got a ton of Mondo Macabre, Blue Underground, Cult Epics, etc releases for under $6 a pop at Amoeba in their Clearance Section.

Rasputin Music in SF (Polk St. near Market St/Downtown): The place is 4-5 stories, but mostly because each floor features something different. Their Asian releases are mostly legit, but you will find boots here and there for films you know don't have any releases yet. Prices are good on Used items and standard for new. They'll randomly have good sales on new stuff here and there.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-09, 02:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Heading to San Francisco - any auggestion on some good BD/DVD stores?

Damn, it sure does! I really appreciate that Asianxcore, I will be checking out at least the ones in Chinatown and Japan Town. Most likely Amoeba and Rasputin as well. And the In-N-Out Burger. No Asian films there, I just need my fix that I can't get in Texas.