Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cube reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-27-09, 06:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

IMDB link for Cube (1997)

Selection made by Numes.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Cube reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 1

Just a reminder that this is the October 1st title for the 31 Films in 31 days subset of the 5th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge.

I also recommend Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero, although there are mixed feelings about them.
Old 09-30-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I recommend Cube Zero. I recommend you skip right pass Cube 2 and save yourself the mental torture.
Old 10-01-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm going to try to watch and participate in discussion on as many as the 31 days films as possible, but my Netflix movies haven't arrived yet, so I'm going to be a couple of days late for most of the discussions.

I've had many friends recommend this movie to me over the years. Always meant to watch it but just never have. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-09, 04:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched Cube for the first time last night!

I have to say that I liked it, but didn't love it. I love the idea of the movie. Going from room to room and having to figure out a way to determine the danger in the these rooms. I like having characters that, if they work together, could figure a way out. I also enjoyed the look of the rooms and the effects that they do use. The very beginning is probably my favorite part.

But I don't like the attitudes of these characters. They seem to want to insult or nag each other instead of trying to figure out who or what or why about the whole situation. And can you really blame Quentin for being mad when the guy almost gets him killed? I know I would have been pretty furious. Of course he then devolves into some psycho killer for some reason. And then they find the end of the cube, and somehow Quentin finds it too?! So all of the number crunching wasn't really necessary because Quentin apparently just knew!

Some of that is nitpicking, so I will say that I'd give the movie about 2 stars out of 4.
Old 10-01-09, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
But I don't like the attitudes of these characters. They seem to want to insult or nag each other instead of trying to figure out who or what or why about the whole situation. And can you really blame Quentin for being mad when the guy almost gets him killed? I know I would have been pretty furious. Of course he then devolves into some psycho killer for some reason. And then they find the end of the cube, and somehow Quentin finds it too?! So all of the number crunching wasn't really necessary because Quentin apparently just knew!

Some of that is nitpicking, so I will say that I'd give the movie about 2 stars out of 4.
I agree with you on a lot of points. I think Quentin found the end of the cube because he listened to them moving around in the Cube and figured out where in the cube they were (kind of the way they listened and found Kazan) and that he followed them (of course it's a huge coincidence that he would be able to hear them and follow them without being detected, but you know, movie logic...also even though the doors make tons of noise when they open, we didn't hear him opening the door at the very end and sneaking up on them in the "bridge" because...well, because the script said so). I like the movie though. I can ignore little inconsistencies like that.

I've been thinking about Quentin a lot since I just saw the movie again. I think the reason for the change in Quentin is mostly exhaustion. I don't think he intended to kill Helen at first, but when he looked in her eyes he remembered what she said about his family and got so pissed that he freaked. Then he started rationalizing what he'd done (like all humans do when they fuck up) and then he panicked and started making worse and worse decisions because he figured that they'd never get out of the maze unless he forced everyone to do what he said. I also think at that point, he definitely wasn't thinking straight and he was totally paranoid. He probably rationalized that the guy who built the cube couldn't be trusted, so he figured that anything he did to that guy was ok because he blamed that guy for them being there in the first place, and he also freaked out realizing he couldn't get out of the cube on his own, so he adopted a "take charge" attitude to force his way through to the end.

Watching the movie now, I can see Quentin slowly becoming more and more unhinged throughout the movie, which is what leads to his total disintegration at the end there. It pisses me off. One of the things that makes me so mad about this movie is how the characters totally fall apart and refuse to help each other. I kept yelling at the screen (like I wanted to do watching "Saw 5") because people in situations like this in movies always fall apart when they could have helped each other and all gotten out alive (or most of them, because Rennes wasn't helping ANYONE else).
Old 10-02-09, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Def. a very original movie when it came out, and I still think it is good, but I don't think it is great like I used to. I mean rewatching it, you see the acting isn't top notch, but the story more helps in covering it up. The traps are still I believe, the main star of the movie, and they def. hold up over time. 6/10
Old 10-02-09, 09:55 AM

I liked the movie as well - still, I kept getting reminded of the Saw films with all the traps. I did like how the characters that started out rational and sane siwtched places with the ones that were timid and crazy towards the end. Also, for being a pretty small, claustrophobic set, they seemed to do a pretty good job in keeping you from feeling like you were stuck in the same room the whole time. And I have to admit - my first impulse was "why don't they just stay in that safe room they woke up in before going through all the traps? If they got in there safely they should be able to get out!". Well, not much of a movie that way I guess!

For anyone that has seen the sequels, would you recommend them or not? I have heard that the 2nd is not satisfying, but may get to it and the prequel eventually.
Old 10-02-09, 10:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I agree with you on a lot of points. I think Quentin found the end of the cube because he listened to them moving around in the Cube and figured out where in the cube they were (kind of the way they listened and found Kazan) and that he followed them (of course it's a huge coincidence that he would be able to hear them and follow them without being detected, but you know, movie logic...also even though the doors make tons of noise when they open, we didn't hear him opening the door at the very end and sneaking up on them in the "bridge" because...well, because the script said so). I like the movie though. I can ignore little inconsistencies like that.

I've been thinking about Quentin a lot since I just saw the movie again. I think the reason for the change in Quentin is mostly exhaustion. I don't think he intended to kill Helen at first, but when he looked in her eyes he remembered what she said about his family and got so pissed that he freaked. Then he started rationalizing what he'd done (like all humans do when they fuck up) and then he panicked and started making worse and worse decisions because he figured that they'd never get out of the maze unless he forced everyone to do what he said. I also think at that point, he definitely wasn't thinking straight and he was totally paranoid. He probably rationalized that the guy who built the cube couldn't be trusted, so he figured that anything he did to that guy was ok because he blamed that guy for them being there in the first place, and he also freaked out realizing he couldn't get out of the cube on his own, so he adopted a "take charge" attitude to force his way through to the end.

Watching the movie now, I can see Quentin slowly becoming more and more unhinged throughout the movie, which is what leads to his total disintegration at the end there. It pisses me off. One of the things that makes me so mad about this movie is how the characters totally fall apart and refuse to help each other. I kept yelling at the screen (like I wanted to do watching "Saw 5") because people in situations like this in movies always fall apart when they could have helped each other and all gotten out alive (or most of them, because Rennes wasn't helping ANYONE else).
Good points. And I actually completely agree with you on Quentin slowly becoming unhinged.
Old 10-02-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by llandros
For anyone that has seen the sequels, would you recommend them or not? I have heard that the 2nd is not satisfying, but may get to it and the prequel eventually.
I like all 3 of them. The 2nd one has a lot more sci-fi type elements to it. I'm a huge sci-fi fan, so it doesn't take too much for me to enjoy a movie with anything sci-fi in it. It is generally considered the weakest of the 3, but I still enjoy it.

As for Cube Zero, I wouldn't hesitate watching that. You can even watch that without watching the 2nd one as it has nothing to do with Cube 2 at all. In fact, my viewing order is going to be Cube-> Cube Zero -> Cube 2.
Old 10-02-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Cube for the 3rd time last night and it still holds up very well. It is such a unique story and well done for what little money they had. The acting isn't academy award winning, but it's definitely not amateur hour or anything. David Hewlett is pretty good as Worth (went on to guest star in Stargate SG-1 and star in Stargate Atlantis).

I think Quentin's downward spiral is believable. From almost the beginning of the movie he has that paranoid look in his eye. As for him finding Worth and Kazan and the girl at the end, they were yelling pretty loud, I think it is believable that he just followed their voices... maybe with a little luck.

The one thing that I didn't understand is that we know that Worth worked on the outer shell, but he didn't say anything about knowing what it was for or anything, but then later in the movie he says that he knew for "a couple weeks" that people were being put in the Cube. Did I miss a piece of dialogue?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am going to watch Cube Zero then Cube 2: Hypercube next. I have seen both before and I think they are worth a watch, especially Cube Zero. Cube 2, as I mentioned in the previous post, has a bit more sci-fi to it.

Also, check out the director's commentary on Cube. It's no Carpenter/Russell commentary, but it is definitely worth a listen.

Last edited by Numes; 10-02-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-02-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks, Numes, for the introduction to The Cube. I doubt I would have found this little gem without the challenge and this subset. I watched this online, but I'm gonna keep an eye open for a deal on the DVD to check out the commentary. Any other special features?

As I considered Quentin's anger, he was an individual that became enraged whenever anyone crossed him. Once you were on his bad side, you had to watch out. When he killed Leaven, I reflected back on my favorite dialogue in the movie:

Quentin: "What's that mean?
Leaven: "You suck at math!"

Some interesting trivia found on imdb.com:

All of the characters are named after prisons: Quentin (San Quentin, California), Holloway (England), Kazan (Russia), Rennes (France), Alderson (Alderson, West Virginia), Leaven and Worth (Leavenworth, Kansas).

Not only are the characters named after prisons but they reflect the prisons themselves. Example: Kazan (the mentally challenged character), in Russia is a disorganized prison. Rennes (the "mentor") was a jail that pioneered many of today's prison policies. Quentin (the detective) is known for its brutality. Holloway is a women's prison, and Alderson is a prison where isolation is a common punishment. Leavenworth runs to a rigid set of rules (Leaven's mathematics), and the new prison is corporately owned and built (Worth, hired as an architect).
Old 10-02-09, 12:33 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

About the DVD releases: Is the Signature Series release the best version to get as far as AV quality/special features? Most online stores seem to have 2 versions for sale: a cheaper 1999 version, and the 2003 "Signature Series" release. Can anyone clarify the difference between them?
Old 10-02-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
About the DVD releases: Is the Signature Series release the best version to get as far as AV quality/special features? Most online stores seem to have 2 versions for sale: a cheaper 1999 version, and the 2003 "Signature Series" release. Can anyone clarify the difference between them?
Whoa! I'm glad you brought this up! It looks like the original release is non-anamorphic and the signature series is anamorphic. I'm not quite sure about the Trimark vs. Lion's Gate thing, but they must be the same. However, it looks like there some other releases out there with different commentaries and different extras! I'm going to have to revisit this!

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=359
Old 10-02-09, 02:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

This was my second time for watching Cube but I enjoyed watching it again. It was a great movie to start off the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge!
Old 10-02-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Thanks, Numes, for the introduction to The Cube. I doubt I would have found this little gem without the challenge and this subset. I watched this online, but I'm gonna keep an eye open for a deal on the DVD to check out the commentary. Any other special features?
First off, I'm glad that I was able to suggest this title for the 31 movies subset. It's one that I discovered a while ago and have always enjoyed it and am glad that others are enjoying it now.

I'll have to get back to you on the special features. I think there are some deleted scenes and some interviews with the cast. I am referring to the R1 Signature Series DVD. I just reviewed dvdcompare.net and it looks like some other releases have some other special features that I may have to investigate.

Also, to follow up on Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero, I watched both of them tonight for the first time in a couple years and I really can't think of any reason not to suggest both movies to anyone who enjoyed Cube. Cube Zero is most certainly more in the vein of Cube and I imagine most will enjoy it. Cube 2 has a very limited reference to the original, but this is the 3rd time I have seen it and I have thoroughly enjoyed it every time I have watched it. It keeps with the ideals of Cube, but expands it in a sci-fi way. I don't want to go into it too specifically, but it really was a self-contained film and I enjoyed it on multiple levels.
Old 10-02-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie has been on my radar since it first came out, I've had many friends of mine recommend it to me, so I just don't understand why I had never actually seen this movie before.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I agree with many of the things that have already been said. I think it's a great concept for a movie, and it seems to be one of those little movies that could. Obviously not a big studio film, but it was popular enough to spawn two sequels and I know a lot of people who have seen it and most like it.

There was a bit of time, probably around the 70-minute mark, that I was ready for it to an end, but then it started to pick up again. The movie definitely has its flaws, but I'm happy I watched it.

By the way, I would usually watch the extras, but I Netflix'd it and there's no time for extras during the challenge. Did the filmmakers talk at all about what they envisioned for outside the Cube? Is this something addressed in the sequels? It just never seemed like a "that's the last door, we're free" type of scenario. You got a bit of a heaven vibe or something along those lines with the bright light, but I have to admit that makes me just a bit. I take it Cube Zero delves more into the origin of the Cube?
Old 10-02-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
By the way, I would usually watch the extras, but I Netflix'd it and there's no time for extras during the challenge. Did the filmmakers talk at all about what they envisioned for outside the Cube? Is this something addressed in the sequels? It just never seemed like a "that's the last door, we're free" type of scenario. You got a bit of a heaven vibe or something along those lines with the bright light, but I have to admit that makes me just a bit. I take it Cube Zero delves more into the origin of the Cube?
If you listen to the commentary, recorded before the sequels, the director says that he has his own idea about who/what is behind the cube, but he really wanted to leave it up to the viewer to make up their own minds behind what the cube is and who's behind it.

That said, you may want to check out Cube Zero. I don't think I'm spoiling anything in saying that some of the questions you have asked are addressed.
Old 10-05-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numes
If you listen to the commentary, recorded before the sequels, the director says that he has his own idea about who/what is behind the cube, but he really wanted to leave it up to the viewer to make up their own minds behind what the cube is and who's behind it.

That said, you may want to check out Cube Zero. I don't think I'm spoiling anything in saying that some of the questions you have asked are addressed.
I may not be able to catch them for the challenge, but I do plan on checking out the sequels. I might buy the DVD for this film, too, if for no other reason because I was interested in the extras, just didn't have time to watch them.
Old 10-05-09, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Good points. And I actually completely agree with you on Quentin slowly becoming unhinged.
I agree with all her points as well. For such a low budget and a rush job (they had to film it on short notice and in 6 weeks), they did a good job on character development.
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am going to watch Cube Zero then Cube 2: Hypercube next. I have seen both before and I think they are worth a watch, especially Cube Zero. Cube 2, as I mentioned in the previous post, has a bit more sci-fi to it.

Also, check out the director's commentary on Cube. It's no Carpenter/Russell commentary, but it is definitely worth a listen.
I watched it with commentary last night, and enjoyed it a lot. One of the better commentaries. Had to go to sleep about 1/2 of the way thru, but am looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Have the prequel and sequel in my rental queue, but probably won't hit them until next month.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Some interesting trivia found on imdb.com:
That was darn cool. I love it when filmmakers put little touches in their films like that. I'm rarely observant enough to pick up on them while viewing, but love reading about them after the fact.
First off, I'm glad that I was able to suggest this title for the 31 movies subset. It's one that I discovered a while ago and have always enjoyed it and am glad that others are enjoying it now.
I enjoyed it when I watched it last year, but loved seeing it again, so thanks for the choice!

And thanks for reminding me that I should credit the choosers in the first posts here, so that you get proper credit (or blame).
Old 10-05-09, 12:27 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that are interested in the sequels, Best Buy is having a 2 for $15 Horror DVD sale that both Cube 2 and Cube Zero are a part of.
Old 10-05-09, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
For those that are interested in the sequels, Best Buy is having a 2 for $15 Horror DVD sale that both Cube 2 and Cube Zero are a part of.
Thanks! A little more than i like to pay, but I'll check out the selection in store and probably concede.
Old 10-10-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Big thumbs up -- I often forget about these gems ... on an off note, check out "Nothing" by the same filmmakers ... it's not horror, but it is a great little "comedy."
Old 10-11-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember this movie very well. I need to watch it again. My only memory of it was losing all interest when the cop kills the one girl because the expression on his face was so ridiculously goofy, and I was already bothered by the acting to that point.

I did like Quentin, and I really like the concept of the Cube and how effectively they created one set and just used it over and over again, which is ingenious. I also liked Cube Zero (except for the hunchbacked, mustachioed, monocled villain -- come on, really!?). I just noticed that Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero are 2 for $15 at Best Buy so next week I might head down and grab 'em.
Old 10-11-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I did like Quentin, and I really like the concept of the Cube and how effectively they created one set and just used it over and over again, which is ingenious. I also liked Cube Zero (except for the hunchbacked, mustachioed, monocled villain -- come on, really!?). I just noticed that Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero are 2 for $15 at Best Buy so next week I might head down and grab 'em.
That was my favorite character in the movie and I really enjoyed the handicaps he had. I thought it added a lot of mystery/personality to his character.

Spoiler:
I believe the idea was that he worked on the some of the traps that went into the cube and that is why he needed a cane and had a mechanical eye, at least that's what they said in the commentary.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.