Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

To hell with IMAX and 3D, bring on planetarium movies!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw a planetarium show this weekend at the Natural History Museum in NYC. Damn, planetariums kick ass now! The last time I went to a planetarium was when I was a little kid in the 1980s. A lot has changed since then!

1. What are the chances of a regular movie getting created for planetarium viewings?

2. Can 3D work in a planetarium movie?

As I was watching this star show, I was just thinking...

James Cameron's THE SILVER SURFER shown in Planetarium HD-3D!

I know it's expensive to own and upkeep planetarium projectors, but damn, these museums are raking it in! Aren't the museum profits huge? $25 for adults. $14 for children. Each show 30 minutes. These shows must be making thousands of dollars per day!
Old 09-21-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: To hell with IMAX and 3D, bring on planetarium movies!

So one has to look up to see the movie?

What if they throw u a popcorn when you sleeping and you choke on it and die?
Old 09-21-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
What if they throw u a popcorn when you sleeping and you choke on it and die?
That's what you get for watching a bad movie.

J/K
Old 09-21-09, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to see a goddamn Pink Floyd laser light show in a planetarium and I haven't had that chance yet.

How much could it cost to put a CD of Dark Side of the Moon on and shoot some fucking lasers? It's a cash cow!
Old 09-21-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just saw a planetarium show this weekend at the Natural History Museum in NYC. Damn, planetariums kick ass now! The last time I went to a planetarium was when I was a little kid in the 1980s. A lot has changed since then!

1. What are the chances of a regular movie getting created for planetarium viewings?

2. Can 3D work in a planetarium movie?

I know it's expensive to own and upkeep planetarium projectors, but damn, these museums are raking it in! Aren't the museum profits huge? $25 for adults. $14 for children. Each show 30 minutes. These shows must be making thousands of dollars per day!
That's the selling point for me. I don't think I'd want to sit in such a venue for much longer than 30 min. (And I've seen IMAX films at AMNH, but none in 3-D...I don't think they've ever shown 3-D there. The IMAX films shown there are generally short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting. If more films were 30 minutes, I wouldn't mind them so much. (UP, for instance, would have made a perfect 30-min. movie. All they would have had to do was cut out that little fat bastard who accompanies the old man on the trip and those annoying talking dogs.)

Why couldn't the studios make an animated superhero/sci-fi movie for such venues that would only be 30 min.?
Old 09-21-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting.
Avatar is going to be 3 friggin hours? Does Cameron honestly think people have that much patience with a movie of that nature?

My thoughts on the subject, I have seen a Pink Floyd show at a Planetarium and it is worth it. In terms of regular movies, I don't know, neck might get tired. I actually think that instead of expanding IMAX they should look into bringing back CINERAMA.
Old 09-21-09, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Avatar is going to be 3 friggin hours? Does Cameron honestly think people have that much patience with a movie of that nature?

My thoughts on the subject, I have seen a Pink Floyd show at a Planetarium and it is worth it. In terms of regular movies, I don't know, neck might get tired. I actually think that instead of expanding IMAX they should look into bringing back CINERAMA.

I saw one in Toronto and thought it was a blast.
Old 09-21-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's the selling point for me. I don't think I'd want to sit in such a venue for much longer than 30 min. (And I've seen IMAX films at AMNH, but none in 3-D...I don't think they've ever shown 3-D there. The IMAX films shown there are generally short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting. If more films were 30 minutes, I wouldn't mind them so much. (UP, for instance, would have made a perfect 30-min. movie. All they would have had to do was cut out that little fat bastard who accompanies the old man on the trip and those annoying talking dogs.)

Why couldn't the studios make an animated superhero/sci-fi movie for such venues that would only be 30 min.?
If you and chrissc77 ever collided there would be a massive explosion that would take out this whole solar system.
Old 09-21-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
If you and chrissc77 ever collided there would be a massive explosion that would take out this whole solar system.
Now, I didn't say I wanted my R-rated movies to be 30 min. Esp. not when they have Jason Statham or Megan Fox in them. (Although, unlike Chris, my limit on such films is closer to 90 min.)