Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed this today....they are stating it will start up again Nov 1st on the website. Here we go again...
Old 09-15-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

This stinks. I wish they could give some kind of advance notice when they're about to do this. I've been going through a bunch of used DVDs and looking up prices on the quote machine. Probably would have gotten a batch together within the next few days. If I recall correctly, last time it went offline it didn't come back up on exactly the day it indicated and the prices offered were somewhat lower across the board.

OP, you might want to ask a mod to change the thread title to something like DVD Quote Machine down til 11/1. I initially saw this thread and thought they were doing away with used titles altogether. Do appreciate the heads up though.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 09-15-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

I went a shipment to them a week ago. I'll be incredibly pissed off if they don't accept them since it was up and running when I mailed everything to them.

The last time they did this the prices were drastically reduced when it came back online.
Old 09-16-09, 04:16 AM

Has anyone recently mailed in a package and is still waiting for their credit to show up. They received my package on 9/1, was told it can take 30 days to process a quote. I've usually received my credit within 8 days or so.

Credit received.

Last edited by moviemaniac; 09-17-09 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn. I just filled a box to ship out too.
Old 09-16-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Damn. I just filled a box to ship out too.
I just dropped a box in the mail this morning... I'm sure everything will be fine, business as usual at the Planet.
Old 09-17-09, 10:31 AM

Rats. I had a box almost filled too. Moral of the story is when you're close, do the quote, especially if the machine hasn't closed for a while. You can always do another. This should be no big surprise for anyone who has experienced the quote machine closing before.

Last edited by hilts; 09-17-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 11:16 AM

Very sad to see this. Although I just received ~$85 credit for a shipment, I was hoping to put together another batch or two before the 25% off sale later this year.
Old 09-19-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Darnit, I was gonna send my next shipment in a wk... sucks... probably won't get what I was planning to get either. Well, since the summer sale was a month late, maybe the next one will be too...
Old 09-19-09, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Darnit, I was gonna send my next shipment in a wk... sucks... probably won't get what I was planning to get either. Well, since the summer sale was a month late, maybe the next one will be too...
Honestly, between the november resume date, the lengthy processing times and the fact that tons of people will be sending in their shipments as soon as it comes online again, I have a feeling that we'll likely receive our credit just after the biannual sale ends...
Old 10-27-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought I'd bump this up in anticipation... what do you think are the chances it'll be up and running Sunday?
Old 10-27-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to guess 0%.

I don't think it'll be back up and running until after the next 25% off sale.
Old 10-27-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm going to guess 0%.

I don't think it'll be back up and running until after the next 25% off sale.
that is assuming dvdp will have another 25% sale.
Old 10-28-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True. A part of me is worried that we wont see another one this year, and that we will only see one a year, about mid-year, from now on. I really hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-30-09, 12:38 PM
Defunct Account

I just checked and the date is now 1/4/2010.

I think they'll have another Xmas sale. I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling they will.
Old 10-30-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
I just checked and the date is now 1/4/2010.

I have no problem with them needing to "go offline" once in a while. But it sure would be nice for them to give some kind of notice. And to change the start-up date on everyone stinks as well.
Old 10-30-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Par for the course I guess.... I wish if I were running behind on my deadlines I could just push the date back a few months.

Edit: I certainly won't be ordering anything else from them this yr, the sale prices right now are pretty close to what we'd get in a 25% off sale anyways....if it even happens.

Last edited by Artman; 10-30-09 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason I care about a possible 25% off sale is because I have almost $450 in credit that I need to burn through.
Old 10-31-09, 12:49 PM
Defunct Account

During the last sale I made sure to use all of my credit. With the problems the web site was having, I was afraid they might have closed up shop before I had a chance to spend it all.
Old 11-01-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did that as well, but I just happened to have a few more things to send in so I thought I'd give it just one more shot.
Old 11-02-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really pissed. Certainly they knew they weren't going to be up on time and, at least, they could have posted the change in dates as soon as they knew.

I see DVDempire takes trades and gives much better than Amazon and also takes a better selection than Planet.

Why I wanted Planet up so much was to see how much or if they've significant lowered their trade-in prices again.

Empire is ok, but Planet was still better overall. But that may not be the case when they re-open.

I don't NEED to get anything sent in right now, but it would be easier. But I'm hesitant to send anything into DVDempire until I see the prices at Planet.

On the other hand, my luck, Planet starts to resemble Amazon's trade-in prices when they get back up and by waiting, Empire follows suite and I'm screwed big time.

What to do. What to do.
Old 11-02-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't even count on the new date. The last time they did this they kept changing the date time and time again.
Old 11-02-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gotten rid of a lot of my DVDs lately, selling them to Newtownvideo.com and Amazon, but I had about 30 or so left that those sites are either not buying, or paying next to nothing for, so I was going to try selling them to DVDPlanet. When I found out their quote machine would be down for another two months, I decided to try SecondSpin.com instead. I've sold to them in the past, but every time I checked their prices lately, it seemed like they were only paying 5 or 10 cents per DVD. But to my surprise, some of their prices were actually pretty damn good. I sold them all but a few of the DVDs I had left to get rid of, and for most of them, the prices averaged about $3.00 per DVD, which was a lot more than I was expecting. Plus I like that they'll send me a check, instead of giving store credit like DVDPlanet, and they even reimburse part of your shipping. I'll definitely have to keep them in mind for the future.

Rob
Old 11-03-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I don't NEED to get anything sent in right now, but it would be easier. But I'm hesitant to send anything into DVDempire until I see the prices at Planet.

On the other hand, my luck, Planet starts to resemble Amazon's trade-in prices when they get back up and by waiting, Empire follows suite and I'm screwed big time.

What to do. What to do.
I'm in the same boat... got 18 blu-rays, avg $5 apiece giving me $90. It's about the same on DVDEmpire it looks like, so I'll prob just do that. Does Empire participate in the 25% sales? Also they don't send out bilingual covers do they?

Got a handful of DVD's which I'll just take to the record store I think...(and give some to the parents) Looks like it's the end of the line for trade-ins... it's been a good couple of yrs and I'm glad I started when I did. Only about 40 DVD's left, but they don't have a blu release in sight.
Old 11-03-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD Empire doesn't have any type of site-wide 25% off sale. They're based in America and all their inventory is the same product Amazon.com would receive, so no bilingual covers. DVD Empire does have coupons, however I am not sure if one is able to combine it with the "store credit" type they're offering for selling them dvds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.