Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

2009 Season DVR conflicts (and help w/getting around them?!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 10:22 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Thursdays @ 9PM are the absolute worst for me this year...

Supernatural, Fringe, The Office/Community (?maybe), Grey's Anatomy (for the wife), and CSI all at the same time.

Even with two DVR's running, that leaves something not taped/watched. Personally I vote Grey's Anatomy, but, uh, then I'd be voting for "no sex", so I guess that one has to stay.

what time/night sucks for you?

Last edited by TGM; 09-12-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-12-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: 2009 Season DVR conflicts (and help w/getting around them?!)

ABC.com usually has Grey's up in HD. Could not the wife go that route? I usually find that the most convenient (aside from having to click "proceed" after each commercial break).
Old 09-12-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 3rd DVR?

Hook up that VCR that's collecting dust?

Wait for reruns?

Or like Superman says, watch something online.. and I vote for that it's something you watch, seeing that Grey's is the only thing she's asking for.

I don't see any conflicts for us ... so far.
We do have 3 dvr's.
Old 09-12-09, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you on cable or satellite?

On satellite you would probably have the east and west feeds, tape some on the east and some on the west.

Luckily for me here in Canada Heroes and House air on the same channel, so because of that we will get Heroes Sunday at 10. That was my only chance for conflict.

Our landscape does lead to some weird schedules though. Global only has 1 comedy from the NBC Thursday block (The Office) so they are pairing it with til Death.

Last edited by Corey31; 09-12-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way I deal with kind of problem, is if there's a conflict, I usually will stick with already established shows, that I've watched from the start that I like, and if something new comes on in that time slot that conflicts, I'll stick with what I know is already good, especially since now a days, stuff gets canceled way too quickly. If I have extra time, I'll check it out online if it's available, or buy the DVD when it comes out.
Old 09-12-09, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I have two dual-tuners, so I've not had to confront this problem for a few years. My biggest conflict is Mondays at 8:00 -- I've got House and Heroes on the first DVR and HIMYM on the second DVR.

Do you buy any of those shows on DVD? If you're going to pick up (for example) the Supernatural DVD anyway, you may consider skipping it until the season sets come out.
Old 09-12-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure how attached you are to each show, but in my house, Supernatural, Fringe and The Office are mandatory. CSI and Grey's would be my choices for ditching - try to catch them online...

I guess you don't have timeshifting eh? I only have 1 dvr and could tape 4 of these (2 on east coast feed, 2 on west) - so if I had 2 dvr's it would be no problem at all... if my cable provider ever got rid of the time shifting channels, I'd be screwed.
Old 09-12-09, 12:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm not sure how attached you are to each show, but in my house, Supernatural, Fringe and The Office are mandatory. CSI and Grey's would be my choices for ditching - try to catch them online...

I guess you don't have timeshifting eh? I only have 1 dvr and could tape 4 of these (2 on east coast feed, 2 on west) - so if I had 2 dvr's it would be no problem at all... if my cable provider ever got rid of the time shifting channels, I'd be screwed.
yeah, I have directv... no east/west coast feeds available to me..

I'm pretty sure CSI will be the one to go....... (again, I would eliminate Gray's)... hopefully one of them will reair on Friday nights and just record at that time? I think Gray's did that last year... or the year before...
Old 09-12-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I have the exact same conflict. I'm watching The Office/Community/30 Rock on Hulu.

My upstairs DVR will record CSI and Fringe and my downstairs will record Grey's and Supernatural.

Also, look out for shows that run 1-2 mins longer. That will screw up for your DVR as well.

Thurs at 8pm are also a problem with Flash Forward, Survivor, Vampire Diaries, Bones and Parks and Recreation at 8:30pm. I think if I stick w/ Parks, it's also going on Hulu
Old 09-12-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only serious conflict these days with all the DVRs I have is which shows rate for HD as I still have SD Tivos in use. I'm hoping for that full on whole house HDTivo upgrade but it won't be this year.
Old 09-12-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
yeah, I have directv... no east/west coast feeds available to me..

I'm pretty sure CSI will be the one to go....... (again, I would eliminate Gray's)... hopefully one of them will reair on Friday nights and just record at that time? I think Gray's did that last year... or the year before...
There is no Friday re-airs for Grey's this season since they moved Ugly Betty to that day. Friday is full w/ Supernany, Ugly Betty and 20/20.

You can watch CSI on CBS.com and there is a very good chance you can watch it off Netflix in their streaming section (if you have Netflix) since they have a deal with CBS. Last season every episode of all the CSI's was posted on Netflix the day after it aired.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-12-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 02:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is no Friday re-airs for Grey's this season since they moved Ugly Betty to that day. Friday is full w/ Supernany, Ugly Betty and 20/20.

You can watch CSI on CBS.com and there is a very good chance you can watch it off Netflix in their streaming section (if you have Netflix) since they have a deal with CBS. Last season every episode of all the CSI's was posted on Netflix the day after it aired.
yeah... no netflix, but I might consider... I'm not a big fan of watching episodes on the computer... the pisser is, looking at the upcoming guide on my dvr, looks like CBS is reairing episodes of CSI on Saturday nights (but ones from 2008), derrr.
Old 09-13-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option if you have it is On Demand. I was just looking through mine on Comcast and they have some of the CBS shows there(all 3 CSIs for example) and they even have them in HD.