Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rating high on Hollywood’s list: immature audiences

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link

If 2009 is remembered for anything in American cinema, it might be as the year grown-ups and Hollywood finally agreed to call it quits.

This is the year when such slick, star-driven, adult-oriented movies as State of Play, Duplicity, The International and The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 underperformed at the box office. And when talking-toy movies like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra raked in millions.

Suddenly, movies for grown-ups are in the cross hairs. “I’m caught up all in it,” Spike Lee said recently with a rueful laugh, noting that the sequel to his 2006 thriller Inside Man is hanging in the balance. “I’m waiting on Universal,” he said.

[...]

Last week Universal cochairman Marc Shmuger told the Los Angeles Times that 2009 “has certainly been a humbling year. First, there’s a real need to be making movies for less money. Second, there’s a real premium on sharper, more marketable concepts. Audiences are clearly seeking escape from their lives.”

Translation: Hello, Paul Blart. Sayonara, Frost/Nixon.

[...]
This is affecting even the biggest names and projects. Scorsese's Shutter Island got pushed to 2010 and one studio source intimated that the hardest hit segment has been movies that play to an older adult audience.
Old 09-01-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Rating high on Hollywood’s list: immature audiences

What does this have to do with maturity or Shutter Island?

Last I recalled, Shutter Island was pushed back due to a lack in advertising funds. That has nothing to do with "immature audiences", and effects driven flicks have always been big draws while smaller features have and always will require a bit of a hook to draw audiences.

Political thrillers aren't doing so hot since they play out in the news on what seems to be a weekly basis. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 wasn't even a good movie and all things considered, GI Joe wound up being a bit of a dud at theaters (gross wise). The International had laughable advertising and Duplicity was similarly poorly marketed. Benjamin Button did pretty well with older crowds as well.

What do they really expect? They need to good movies with actual appeal, they're failing on both counts in many instances.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-01-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
What does this have to do with maturity or Shutter Island?

Last I recalled, Shutter Island was pushed back due to a lack in advertising funds. That has nothing to do with "immature audiences", and effects driven flicks have always been big draws while smaller features have and always will require a bit of a hook to draw audiences.
Yes and no:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...february-2010/

I hear that Paramount told the filmmakers it doesn't have the financing in 2009 to spend the $50M to $60M necessary to market a big awards pic like this. (But a studio source insists to me it's got the cash, just not the home video sales: "Given where the DVD business is in 2009, our only hope is the economy and the retail business rebounds in 2010 because the hardest hit segment has been movies that play to an older adult audience," a studio source tells me.)
Old 09-01-09, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the difference here is the almighty dollar vs. true-quality movies

Hollywood panders to the drek that makes money, nothing with anything with real substance.

Last edited by Giles; 09-01-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Want to support adult-oriented fare? Go see World's Greatest Dad this weekend.
Old 09-01-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS has adult appeal. It's mostly dialogue- and character-driven, with very little in the way of action, and is firmly steeped in the kind of historical subject that appeals more to older viewers. And it's doing well at the boxoffice.

Michael Mann's PUBLIC ENEMIES wasn't very good, but it's kind of designed along similar lines as INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, a mix of fact and fabrication, with immersion in a particular, resonant historical setting. Again, adult appeal, but somewhat diminished by some poor scripting, directing and casting choices, while elevated in parts by some very good scripting, directing and casting choices. Obviously a very uneven film, but worth seeing, I would say.

I think I would like to see Tarantino do a film about Chicago gangsters/midwestern bandits.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-01-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Duplicity was pretty boring.
Old 09-01-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of those movie were boring.

Hollywood can focus on kid films if they want, then in a couple of years they can switch back when everyone grows up. Idiots.
Old 09-01-09, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert
This is affecting even the biggest names and projects. Scorsese's Shutter Island got pushed to 2010...
I was really looking forward to seeing this in October.
Old 09-01-09, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Meh, people see what they want to see. Don't get how this is a surprise year in and year out.

"Hollywood" is about making $$$ (and paying crazy money to some actors), nothing new here.

(some really bad examples in that article)
Old 09-01-09, 12:50 PM

My heart does not bleed for Spike Lee and his "hanging in the balance" sequel to a subpar flick. Karma's a motherfucker, Spike.

Oh, and since when is an inferior-to-the-original remake regarded as a mature and intelligent film? (The Taking of Pelham 123)

The worst part about all this is what is currently happening with Shutter Island.
Old 09-01-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpoppe
The worst part about all this is what is currently happening with Shutter Island.
Indeed.
Old 09-01-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS has adult appeal. It's mostly dialogue- and character-driven, with very little in the way of action, and is firmly steeped in the kind of historical subject that appeals more to older viewers. And it's doing well at the boxoffice.
I agree. But you would not know this by viewing the trailers or promotional materials for this film, which make it look like a carnage-filled torture fest set to nu-metal rock music. I suppose if they can't attract the lowest denominator by film content, they have to mislead them to get them in the theater.
Old 09-01-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

What's so mature and adult about Duplicity? The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is just standard thriller schlock. The International was a bore. State of Play was great but poorly marketed. No one needs a sequel to Inside Man. The first one wrapped things up nicely. And G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra was seen as salvation from the monstrocity that was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
Old 09-01-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Grubert
This is affecting even the biggest names and projects. Scorsese's Shutter Island got pushed to 2010
Wasn't it moved because the studio predicted it would do well and wanted to bolster the next FY's results?

Same thing that happened with the last Potter film.
Old 09-01-09, 01:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wasn't it moved because the studio predicted it would do well and wanted to bolster the next FY's results?

Same thing that happened with the last Potter film.
but did it "really" help the latest Potter film? I got the sense it didn't - but I might be wrong in that assumption.
All that expectation, and the film I thought was somewhat of a letdown.
Old 09-01-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
but did it "really" help the latest Potter film? I got the sense it didn't - but I might be wrong in that assumption.
All that expectation, and the film I thought was somewhat of a letdown.
It wasn't to help make the movie bigger, it was to keep their books balanced. For instance, if they had Potter and Dark Knight in the same general period, this year would obviously pale by comparison and, even if strong, would still be seen as down from last year. This time last year, all they really had Terminator Salvation as their big '09 summer movie (and a lot of counter programming), and I think they anticipated it wouldn't do so hot. On the otherhand, while I'm sure it was expected to do well, I don't think anyone anticipated The Hangover making $270m+ and becoming their 7th highest grossing domestic pic (right above a potter flick and I Am Legend and just below The Matrix Reloaded.)

It's better to have good consistency across your quarters than "a 40% loss compared to this time last year." even if it loses the movie a couple million dollars in the long run.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-01-09 at 02:54 PM.