Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Blob, Werewolf Women of the SS, and POTC4?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-31-09, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob Zombie is nothing, if not ambitious. His new film, Halloween II, may only sit in third place in this weekend's box office haul, but it isn't stopping the musician-turned-movie director from charging full speed ahead on new projects...and even one major one to which he'd love to be attached.

During a recent conversation with Hollywood.com, Zombie discussed his desire to see his own Werewolf Women of the SS — another of the faux trailers that appeared in Grindhouse (along with Machete) — also developed as a feature film. And with so many Nazi films in vogue again, Zombie believes now is the time. "I think the time is right," he said. "I feel that the Nazi movie is back. Once the trend comes back, the Nazi trend comes back, now you pervert it like crazy and you add werewolves. So, I don't know if we'll ever see that movie, but now is the time. The time is now to strike with this."

"I actually did sketch out a whole story," he added. "It's so insane, it's ridiculous. It involves time travel. I would love to make that movie. 'Grindhouse' was made like a traditional movie, they spent a lot of money. I would like to go make 'Werewolf' in two weeks with no money."

Meanwhile, as we reported, Zombie has signed on to write, direct and produce a remake of the 1958 horror classic The Blob, the horror film that launched the career of Steve McQueen and went on to become a cult favorite. Production is set to begin next spring.

In the original film, an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially. While Zombie was a fan of the original, he's formulated a decidedly different take that he would not reveal.

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing—that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie told the trade. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now."

"I'd been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space," he added. "I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to."

So what's left after Blobs and Nazi werewolf women? Why, pirates, of course.

Zombie has also revealed to MTV that he'd be interested in directing the new 'Pirates of the Caribbean' installment. "I would love to make a pirate movie," he said. "I actually tried pitching a pirate movie way before Pirates of the Caribbean, and everyone was like, 'Pirate movies don't work.'"

And, of course, as we all know, the clearly do...even as Walt Disney Pictures moves forward with the fourth film, which will focus on Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) searching for the fountain of youth.

We also know that Gore Verbinski will not return to direct the new film, and that Rob Marshall (Chicago) was apparently in negotiations to helm the next scurvy adventure.

We can definitely see Werewolf Women of the SS and a remake of The Blob as being good clean schlocky fun with Zombie's unique stamp. But would he make a good helmer for a fourth 'Pirates' film? Or is he way out on the plank thinking he can take on such a large, high-profile franchise?
I cant post a link since I don't have enough posts but it is on the cinema spy website.

The Blob I can see. Would absolutely love Werewolf Women. Pirates 4 no way would that work out for Zombie
Old 08-31-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Blob, Werewolf Women of the SS, and POTC4?

I think it would be interesting to see what Rob would do at Disney making a PG-13 franchise sequel. That would be a pretty remarkably ballsy movie on Disney's part.
Old 08-31-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zombie sucks, he's batting 0-4, he should never be allowed to make a movie again.
Old 08-31-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

A Rob Zombie "POTC" film?

I'd see that.
Old 08-31-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah .. Jack Sparrow is a redneck, backwoods inbred .. The role of Elizabeth Swan is now being played by Sherri Moon Zombie.