Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Ninth Gate' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 07:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of The Ninth Gate at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=38122 and...I agree this is a superior supernatural film. The ending I have heard debated by many. One theory is Corso IS satan but doesn't know it until all the pieces are put together. His walking into the 'light' is satan re-entering his 'kingdom' after having spent a life as a mortal. So not everyone takes the ending as a letdown. The only thing about the film that I thought wasn't quite up to snuff was Depp himself. A fine actor, indeed, but he just appears too young to be the character. Adding a little gray to his temples wasn't enough for me to disguise that he really is 10 years younger than the character ought to be! Over all, one of my favorites of the genre!
Old 08-11-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Ninth Gate' (Blu-ray)

Yes, this is a great movie, I don't have the Bluray edition but I do have the standard edition.
Old 08-11-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I shall make this my very first BD purchase.

As for the plot, the source material sheds some light on the uncertainty. El Club Dumas by Perez-Reverte.
Old 08-13-09, 08:17 PM

As always, the Savant my be interesting to read but know little about transfers - he calls this "stunningly sharp" and it is anything but. It's not terrible, but it's soft and has very little detail in many shots, especially the opening ten or fifteen minutes of the film. It certainly was stunningly sharp in theaters, but on Blu-Ray "stunningly sharp" it ain't. I would hope by this time that people take the Savant with large grains of salt in terms of transfers.
Old 08-14-09, 04:38 PM

I have it on right now and the picture looks very soft like others have said. I don't remember it looking this soft in theaters and for a film that is only ten years old it shouldn't look like this. Some parts look very good, like when Balkan first meets Corso Balkan's glasses look amazing, but then when they cut to Corso checking out Balkan's library it goes back to looking soft. The same goes when he opens the book while making the tv dinner. Looks very good, but then goes back to the soft image. It doesn't looking like there is much gran or anything, but there does look like there is some edge enhancement in some places.

Last edited by DonTHX1378; 08-14-09 at 04:41 PM.