TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

EW's Top Unsolved Mysteries of Lost

Old 08-06-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EW's Top Unsolved Mysteries of Lost

Found this to be an interesting read yesterday:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2028...291928,00.html

Richard's non-aging gets the number one spot. I'm surprised that Locke didn't make the list. One of the biggest mysteries of Season 5 finale was the loophole Locke. I also want to know how Locke's father got to the island!

I fear that the finale season is poised to disappoint. The buildup and expectation is so huge now that any resolved storyline is not going to please everyone. Also, they have pushed so many unanswered questions on us that I think fans are going to be royally pissed if the writers conventiently forget about an unsolved mystery like Libby. Yet, I don't see how they are going to cram all the answers into one short season.

Maybe they can have a wrap up round table show where they explain it all.
Old 08-06-09, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: EW's Top Unsolved Mysteries of Lost

13: What's the complete Dharma backstory?
We still haven't met the majordomos who ran the secretive utopian science enclave from afar in Ann Arbor, Michigan. And where in the world is its mysterious Danish financial backer, Alvar Hanso? And why did Pierre Chang use alternative names in the Dharma orientation films? And another thing...
I guess that the idiots at EW don't know that "majordomo" means butler, not head honchos, like they are insinuating. Do this idiots have editors?
Old 08-06-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
I guess that the idiots at EW don't know that "majordomo" means butler, not head honchos, like they are insinuating. Do this idiots have editors?

Wrong. It can also mean someone who is in charge of a business or organization. Therefore, they are not "idiots."
Old 08-06-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the whispers are echoes from time travel and Adam and Eve are Rose and the guy from Head of Class.
Old 08-06-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Good list but some of the things I don't really care about. Hanso hasn't really been brought up on the show has he? And the Ann Arbor thing I don't really see any mystery there.
Old 08-06-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you're in need of an editor yourself.
Old 08-06-09, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Wrong. It can also mean someone who is in charge of a business or organization. Therefore, they are not "idiots."
Originally Posted by ElementZ
I think you're in need of an editor yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majordomo
Old 08-06-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

My gut instinct says that a lot of the mysteries introduced in the first two seasons won't be resolved.

1. The whispers. I have a feeling that these are going to end up being Lost's Starbuck. Watch them leave them unexplained.

2. Walt. Despite being built up to being important, I don't think Walt and whatever supernatural abilities he might have are going to be much of a factor in the overall scheme of things.

3. Libby. The producers have pretty much said that they don't plan on revisiting Libby again.

4. The disease/quarantine/injections. Seemed like something significant during season two, but was never revisited again. It was implied in the second season finale that the quarantine thing was bogus, but this hasn't been touched in years. (If it was fake, who made up this elaborate lie, and for what purpose?)
Old 08-06-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
4. The disease/quarantine/injections. Seemed like something significant during season two, but was never revisited again. It was implied in the second season finale that the quarantine thing was bogus, but this hasn't been touched in years. (If it was fake, who made up this elaborate lie, and for what purpose?)
Damn, I don't even remember that anymore. That's the first time I've drawn a blank with any of these mysteries/holes.
Old 08-07-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Damn, I don't even remember that anymore. That's the first time I've drawn a blank with any of these mysteries/holes.

I can imagine the writers started this season in a conference room with a white board listing all the unsolved mysteries.
Old 08-07-09, 08:24 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

What about Mikeal being able to regenerate? That one has bugged me for a few seasons.
Old 08-07-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I don't know why you are quoting the other guy along with me. He was pointing out the fact that you used THIS instead of THESE or THOSE in your original post.

Secondly, you're relying on Wikipedia to make your point? Really? Again, you are WRONG about the definition. It can also mean what I said it could mean. Therefore, the author of the article was not incorrect in his/her decision to use majordomo in that manner.

Here's a site you may want to refer to in the future instead of that other one:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/majordomo

Notice the third possible meaning:

3 : a person who speaks, makes arrangements, or takes charge for another; broadly : the person who runs an enterprise <the majordomo of the fair>
Old 08-07-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1.) Locke's father was brought to the island by Richard. Remember Ben telling him to "bring the man from tallahassee".

2.) Mikhail never really died to begin with. The gernade did him in though. Remember the island heals much faster than normal.

3.) You have to think about it a little but Libby really doesn't need explanation. Her husband died and she had a breakdown landing her in the mental hospital. Eventually she runs into Desmond and gives him the boat that she probably can't bring herself to use anymore.

The rest of these will probably be answered/explained by the end of S6.
Old 08-07-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only time I remember Mikhail "dying" was when Locke pushed him though the sonic fence. The fence isn't lethal, as we saw when Horace's wife tricked the time-displaced Losties through it.
Old 08-08-09, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I remember Mikhail "dying" was when Locke pushed him though the sonic fence. The fence isn't lethal, as we saw when Horace's wife tricked the time-displaced Losties through it.
According to Mikhail he was lucky because the fence just wasn't set to a lethal level. This statement makes me believe the fence can be changed.
Old 08-08-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I think most of the EW writing staff is in their 20s (other than Gleiberman and Schwarzbaum) these days. That's why every time they do a top 25 list of anything their memories don't seem to go back any earlier than 1980.
Old 08-08-09, 11:20 AM

I thought #3 and #4 were covered pretty well on the show.
Old 08-08-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the 'Numbers' on the hatch are a serial number.
Old 08-08-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
I thought #3 and #4 were covered pretty well on the show.
What? The monster hasn't been explained at all. IMO it should be the number listed two right behind the island itself.
Old 08-08-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I think the 'Numbers' on the hatch are a serial number.
One thing about the numbers they haven't explained is the numbers station back from season one during Hurley's flashback.

I was really hoping that, during season five and the DHARMA episodes, that Chang would have given Hurley the numbers to read off, and that it was his voice that read the numbers off that Leonard and Sam Toomey picked up at their listening post.
Old 08-08-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing about the numbers they haven't explained is the numbers station back from season one during Hurley's flashback.

I was really hoping that, during season five and the DHARMA episodes, that Chang would have given Hurley the numbers to read off, and that it was his voice that read the numbers off that Leonard and Sam Toomey picked up at their listening post.
They are not going going to focus on Dharma during S6 but I have a feeling this will be mentioned in passing. They already stated they defintely would cover the food drops this season.

I honestly think that both the numbers and the food drops are things we'll learn that the bigwigs at Dharma HQ in Ann Arbor are responsible for.
Old 08-09-09, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I think the whispers are echoes from time travel and Adam and Eve are Rose and the guy from Head of Class.
Wait, how did Dr. Johnny Fever get on the island?
Old 08-09-09, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
What? The monster hasn't been explained at all. IMO it should be the number listed two right behind the island itself.
What else do you need to know about it? In the course of the series we've learned what it looks like, what it does, where it comes from, who appears to control it, and that it has been there since ancient times. Pretty much the only thing we don't know about it is how it got to be there in the first place, which is likely to be addressed on the show.
Old 08-09-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

3.) You have to think about it a little but Libby really doesn't need explanation. Her husband died and she had a breakdown landing her in the mental hospital. Eventually she runs into Desmond and gives him the boat that she probably can't bring herself to use anymore.

This makes sense, but are we to believe that Libby just happend to go to the same mental institution as Hurley at the same time that Hurley just happened to go into the institution? Then Libby just happened to board the same doomed flight as Hurley? And after meeting Desmond and giving him a boat, she just happens to crash onto the same uncharted island that Desmond crashed onto? Too many coincidences. I would like the producers to explain her part in all this, but I know they're not going to.
Old 08-09-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
What else do you need to know about it? In the course of the series we've learned what it looks like, what it does, where it comes from, who appears to control it, and that it has been there since ancient times. Pretty much the only thing we don't know about it is how it got to be there in the first place, which is likely to be addressed on the show.
True, but I'm still hoping for a plausible explanation as to how a column of smoke can come alive, make noise, grab people, and haul ass when it needs to. If the answer is simply that the island represents Hell, then I guess anything goes. However, if the island is a real island on Earth, then I'd like the producers to offer a better explanation for Smokie, but I don't think they're going to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.