Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I'll take door number three! (or, Let's Make a Deal returning to CBS daytime TV!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'll take door number three! (or, Let's Make a Deal returning to CBS daytime TV!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The classic game show, once referred to as "The Seat of Greed in America" by George Carlin, is returning to CBS daytime in October. The announcement was made Monday that the show will replace The Guiding Light, which will end production after its 50+ year run. Wayne Brady will assume the hosting duties, and the producers have indicated that much of the show's original style will be back.

Monty Hall will be involved behind the scenes, and he has already given his blessing to both the revival of the show and the new host - "It's not going to be much different," said Hall. "You don't tinker with a great format. It's the right horse -- it just needed a new jockey."

'Let's Make a Deal' will return; Wayne Brady will host
Old 08-05-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: I'll take door number three! (or, Let's Make a Deal returning to CBS daytime TV!)

People will still not understand the Monty Hall Problem and will make stupid choices. Great fun for all.
Old 08-05-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I'll take door number three! (or, Let's Make a Deal returning to CBS daytime TV!)

I hope it lasts longer than Trivial Pursuit America Plays. RIP.

And I certainly hope it lasts longer than the prime time reboot they did a few years back.
Old 08-05-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they stick with the basics, don't try to fix what wasn't broken to begin with (e.g., follow the TPIR model), and position it well, I think it might make it.
Old 08-05-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No Carol Merrill = no deal.
Old 08-05-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, considering she is now in her late 60s, I don't think that would be a realistic option (although a "guest" or cameo appearance would be a nice tribute).

BTW, here is the only pic I have found of the new set, apparently taken from a cell phone during the taping of the pilot (which will not air):

Old 08-05-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So people still dress up like idiots. Well that's a plus.
Old 08-05-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
So people still dress up like idiots. Well that's a plus.
As if they would do away with that. It would be like having the Dating Game without the bachelors.
Old 08-05-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
As if they would do away with that. It would be like having the Dating Game without the bachelors.
Plenty of shows get re-tooled. Who the hell knows in 2009 how this would've panned out. I don't see any other game shows that have people dressing up as contestants.
Old 08-05-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wayne Brady = teh suck
Old 08-05-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Wayne Brady = teh suck
No offense, but Monty Hall (who helped with the auditions for the new host) disagrees. And actually, so do I.
Old 08-05-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Wayne Brady is a terrific host. He's funny and likable. Was never a big fan of the show though.

Does this mean that Don't Forget the Lyrics is dead?

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 08-06-09 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-06-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Does this mean that Don't Forget the Lyrics is dead?
It was on FOX, so that should answer your question. Here's another fan of Wayne Brady.
Old 08-06-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'd be interested to see how many affiliates air it. I figure that many will want the time returned to them.
Old 08-06-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
Plenty of shows get re-tooled. Who the hell knows in 2009 how this would've panned out. I don't see any other game shows that have people dressing up as contestants.
Again, it would be like redoing the Dating Game without the bachelors. Re-tooling is one thing, but the crazy costumes the audience wears is part of the game itself.

And I guess you meant there aren't other game shows where people dress up in costumes? What other show would that even work on?
Old 08-06-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Again, it would be like redoing the Dating Game without the bachelors. Re-tooling is one thing, but the crazy costumes the audience wears is part of the game itself.

And I guess you meant there aren't other game shows where people dress up in costumes? What other show would that even work on?

I'm not a 70s child. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and recall watching the reruns on The Family Channel at some point. I don't recall the crazy costumes being part of the game. Sue me.