Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great directors that aren't Great anymore

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing the fav directors thread made me see that a lot of directors are "great" but in the case of some...they stopped being great a long time ago. Just wanted to see which Directors lost their "Great" status to youse guys....

For me...it's....*gasp*

Francis Ford Coppola, I love his work on The Godfather (parts I and II), The Conversation and Apocalypse Now..but...he really kinda lost his greatness for me. Like Apocalypse Now was his peak (this is debatable of course), and after that...he never really was that big again. And his films were mixed..and of course The Godfather Part III (which we can all agree sucked very bad)...Dracula, which I like but not love, never booted him further as one would think after a Dracula film would possibly do.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-01-09 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Great directors that aren't Great anymore

Coppola still has got it IMO.

Robert Zemeckis is my pick and the one who used to make enjoyable films and now makes utter shit. I sat frozen in agape horror/disgust as i watched the trailer for A Christmas Carol yesterday. It perplexing how something can cost over $100 million to make and look like it cost about $3.50 to make.
Old 08-01-09, 08:52 PM

Tarantino.
Lay off the mj, Q.
Old 08-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Seeing the fav directors thread made me see that a lot of directors are "great" but in the case of some...they stopped being great a long time ago. Just wanted to see which Directors lost their "Great" status to youse guys....

For me...it's....*gasp*

Francis Ford Coppola, I love his work on The Godfather (parts I and II), The Conversation and Apocalypse Now..but...he really kinda lost his greatness for me. Like Apocalypse Now was his peak (this is debatable of course), and after that...he never really was that big again. And his films were mixed..and of course The Godfather Part III...Dracula, which I like but not love, never booted him further as one would think after a Dracula film would possibly do.
I agree with Coppola. And I'd like to add William Friedkin. Last great film was "To Live and Die in L.A." back in '85.
Old 08-01-09, 09:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Oliver Stone

/thread
Old 08-01-09, 10:08 PM

Definitely Tarintino. He had so much potential after Jackie Brown, but the Kill Bill movies and Grindhouse were both disapointments. Id love to see him do more indie stuff like he originally started with. Not a fan of everything else. Is it just me, or are his lastest "homages" really starting to seem like blatant rip offs...
Old 08-01-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John Landis. He was never a great director to begin with, but he has made some genre classics. When the 80's ended, so did his talent.
Old 08-01-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
And I'd like to add William Friedkin. Last great film was "Bug" back in '06.
Fixed

I would like to add:

Michael Cimino
Old 08-01-09, 11:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Martin Scorsese
Wim Wenders
Old 08-01-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

John Carpenter
Until Munich I would have put Steven Speilberg in this category
John McTiernan
John Woo
Old 08-01-09, 11:21 PM

George Lucas?
Old 08-01-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

If it wasn't for 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' I would have said Sidney Lumet.
Old 08-02-09, 12:06 AM

Ridley Scott
Old 08-02-09, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gglass4269
Definitely Tarintino. He had so much potential after Jackie Brown, but the Kill Bill movies and Grindhouse were both disapointments. Id love to see him do more indie stuff like he originally started with. Not a fan of everything else. Is it just me, or are his lastest "homages" really starting to seem like blatant rip offs...
Kill Bill movies disappointments? Huh.. So much potential AFTER Jackie Brown? Not sure where that came from either.
Old 08-02-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not 'great' directors, but at one time hot:

John Hughes (what's he doing nowadays?)

Jan De Bont

Renny Harlin
Old 08-02-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Barry Levinson

Philip Kaufman

Walter Hill

Brian DePalma

M Night Shyamalan

Harold Ramis
Old 08-02-09, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of directors listed here aren't great directors. in fact, they're just one-hit-wonders.

Brian Singer for instance. Usual Suspects was one of the most well-made films around, wonderfully shot and acted, with great pacing. I've hated every single one of his movies since, because they failed in all those categories.

I'd put Scorsese up there, if only because he really hasn't tapped the kind of talent that he should. I felt like The Aviator, Gangs of New York, and The Departed would have been monumentally better if they had better casting. And his movies just don't have that cinema verite that they used to. I felt bored watching those movies, waiting for that Scorsese touch that made them unique.
Old 08-02-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Carpenter -He had an amazing streak: Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, and Starman, and ten years later was doing movies like Village of the Damned, Vampries, and Ghosts of Mars.
Old 08-02-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

John Woo and Dario Argento.
Old 08-02-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The two that come to mind are Coppola and Scorsese. They've had a few masterpieces each and now fall far short of that. Coppola has had a much bigger dropoff in quality, while Scorsese seems to have fallen into the Hollywood school of filmmaking.

Tarantino had major potential with Pulp Fiction, but only seems to be concerned with rehashing old films and ideas by homaging them and having the whole film rely on that. Not only does he NOT have anything original to say, he doesn't even have an original way of presenting those films.
Old 08-02-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

John Hughes-Home Alone being a huge success was the worst thing that happened to this guy. He didn't direct, but after this all he did were kiddie movies. You would never be able to tell from his latter day stuff that this was the guy responsible for most 80s teen movies.

Peter Bogdanavich

William Friedkin

Francis Coppola- don't know if this counts, as he seems content doing little art-house movies no one cares about.

Richard Donner

I don't know if I would add Scorsese to the list. His movies are still worlds better than most of the crap we see, though I found "Bringing Out the Dead" pretentious. "Shutter Island" gives off a "Cape Fear" vibe of being a paint by the numbers thriller, though the book is quite good. However, I know that its ending is something that has been done many times before.
Old 08-02-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

John Woo.

Joel Schumaker after Lost Boys.
Old 08-02-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Harold Ramis. I doubt he's going to replicate some of his most successful films. Year One really made me wonder if he's lost it for good.

Rob Reiner. There was a time his name on a movie made it an automatic must see for me, regardless of what it was about or who was in it. But he just isn't what he used to be.

Kevin Smith. He had a handful of great, funny, and inventive comedies and it seemed like he's been trying to copy those movies ever since.

Last edited by calhoun07; 08-02-09 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
John Hughes (what's he doing nowadays?)
According to his IMDB page, the last movie he directed was 1991's Curly Sue. It seems among a boat load of Beethoven movies, his most recent movie he's written was Drillbit Taylor.

But the man made some of the best comedies of the 80's that stand the test of time. Why did he stop directing so long ago?
Old 08-02-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Coppola was the first person to pop into my head.

Is it unfair to put Spielberg on this list? His last truly "great" movie was over ten years ago ("Saving Private Ryan"), but he's made enough "good" movies since then, I think, to probably keep him off this list.

Zemeckis is a great call. "Contact" was the last movie from him that I really enjoyed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.