Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where's the best place to get Bose speakers for least $$$?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where's the best place to get Bose speakers for least $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-00, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to Best Buy over the weekend and the hubby wants a new center channel and speakers. He is wanting the Bose, but I can't seem to find anywhere online that has them? Where is the best place to get them (price wise?) Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-05-00, 09:20 PM

I'm your man! Now, just because of your subject title, you are going to get bashed pretty hard in this forum. People here do not appreciate Bose, and that's OK. Everyone has his/her favorite speakers. Just don't let anyone talk you out of the speakers you enjoy, rather it be Bose or not.

Now, Bose prices are the same everyone you go. Because it is still a privately owned company, it's up to Dr. Bose to set the prices. So, searching everywhere isn't going to help. The only time you will sucessfully find a discount is if you buy them used like on eBay, or go into a Factory Outlet for Bose. Depending on where you live, there maybe one close to you.

What state do you live in?

Anyhow, the Bose Factory Stores carry both new and factory renewed products. Factory renewed products are items bought and returned within our allowed 90 day return period. Yes, that's right, 90 days. Try to get that from any other store or company! Anyhow, these can be returned for a variety of reasons, color swap, upgrade/downgrade, just not happy with it, etc. When we get these back, we send them to manufactoring for testing. If they pass, they are resold for a discount of at least 10%. If they do not pass, they are destroyed. Since wre actually do not repair them, we don't call them refurbished or reconditioned. They come with the exact same warrenty (5 year speaker, 1 year electronics) and of course our 90 days money back garuntee(sp?). So, depending on the speakers you want will depend on the price. But expect to pay the same price everywhere you go.

I would highly suggest buying from a Bose store though. We offer the way better customer service, 90 day refund/exchange period, and if anything ever does goes wrong, you can see us for a replacement. Can't do that at Best Buy or Circuit City.

Feel free to e-mail with any other questions or post them here.

Good luck.

[email protected]
Old 06-05-00, 09:40 PM

Before you put down any money,take your time and audition as many speakers as you can.Speakers can make or break a system.Have you ever noticed that the Bose displays are seperate from other speaker lines at Best Buy,Sears ect.There are many speaker lines that have better built enclosers instead of PLASTIC that Bose has.Better binding posts than Bose who uses PLASTIC spring clips.Tiny paper 2inch full range drivers that are supposed to cover a large frequency range vs seperate woofers and dome tweeters that are MUCH smoother.Bose has a passive bass module which requires power from your receiver vs powered subs that will BLOW away their pathetic bass module.
Stop at a REAL Audio Store after you do your audition with Bose and see what they have to offer.You will see what I mean when you do this.I used to own the Bose 201`s and their flagship 901`s a few years back.I was taken in by their marketing until I went into an actual audio store and listened to what they had.A friend of mine use to own the Accoustimass 10`s and he thought they were great at first until he also listened to others as well.
For more information on these speakers,go to www.audioreview.com and go to their review section and read for yourself what others are saying and why.Hometheater Magazine did a review of the Accoustimass 10`s back in their December 1998 edition.Those speakers got the lowest score they ever had in their review of them.Go to their website and read in the archives what I am talking about.

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old 06-05-00, 10:46 PM

See I told you...

Anyhow, there is one Bose system that has a powered sub: the Acoustimass 15 does in fact have a sub. The 10 we rarely sale anymore.

When subs were first introduced, it was because the main speakers could not produce the base that they were suppose to. The bass modules produced the desired amount of bass, that is until DD came along and required a powered sub for the LFE which is awesome. But do go listen to multiple speakers. I'm sure that you will find that the Bose speakers are some of the best you will ever hear.
Old 06-05-00, 11:08 PM

Subwoofers have been around since the early 1970`s.M&K sound came out with the first one and they have been used ever since.The first one I owned was by Dalquist with their outboard crossover powered by a Crown DC-300A amplifier that was bridged mono at 300 watts.That was made back in the late 1970`s.Velodyne became the most popular in the 1980`s until now.Subwoofers were used for music mostly at that time but they were really popular even with Dolby Prologic.The Bose Bass Module is not even considered a subwoofer.
I use a subwoofer now and my mains go down to 22Hz.The price of the Acoustimass 15`s is even more of a joke.You still have the same cubes as the Acoustimass 10 model.Try to listen to at least some Paradigm`s,Klipsch,Pinnacle,PSB,Energy,Mirage Anthony Gallo (which is smaller than Bose but sounds very good)ect.
The reason I made that statement about why Bose displays are seperate from others is because of one on one comparisons.I will give Bose credit for one thing.They have by far the BEST marketing in the business.I think that Bosepro should get out of Best Buy and listen to real speakers.
Old 06-06-00, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brilon

has some good info. But I will say I think everyone started out with Bose at one point (we all make mistakes and learn). Years and years ago I had 301's, but had a friend bring his cheaper JBL's over and in a quick speaker switch the difference was obvious. JBL had a better sound by far. I sold my 301's and bought some JBLs.

If you are sold on Bose, buy them from a store that offers a 30 day money back deal. Then buy ANY other speaker that costs within $10 of what the Bose cost (again with a 30 day deal) compare in YOUR house, then keep what you like better. I don't even think Bosepro can argue that logic.

BTW- compare apples to apples if the Bose have a sub than you others should have a sub too, try to keep the specs as close as possible it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 06-06-00, 04:07 AM

OK, I didn't want to start a huge confritation here. I never said subs weren't invited or around for a long time. They just didn't become "main stream" on DD came out.

I don't work for Best Buy. Never would. I would for Bose.

I never said they were the best compared to all the speakers on the market, but htey are very good speakers.

It's all in the listener's ear what he/she likes from a speaker.

The bass module on the Acoustimass 15 is a SUB. It plugs into the sub out on the receiver, it's powered, and it receives the LFE soound. The Acoustimass 10 is not powered and I never said it was.
Old 06-06-00, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to go with brilon on this one. I never considered Bose to be the worst speaker company...but they are far from the best. Their technology hasn't had any major changes in years, only the fancy packaging of the little cubes. I tried to get into an online discussion with another Bose representative a few months ago and he never answered a few legitimate questions I had specifically related to the performance of Bose speakers and the companies practices. If I remember correctly his name was David Meyers. For instance I really wanted to know why Bose "required" their own room for demonstration purposes, and why Bose emphasizes the "need" to have so many customer/sales representatives who advise NOT to purchase "used" Bose products.

But the biggest problem I have with Bose are the prices, such as with the Acoustimass 15. I can't justify paying that kind of money for tiny mid-tweeters and mid-woofers in plastic enclosures. Especially when research and experience show that MDF is much better for resonance. For about the same price, I could get the Energy Encore system. It's satellites have 1" Aluminum dome tweeters and 4" aluminum laminated polycarbonate mids, with one of the best powered 8" subs around. Or for the same price I could buy the Polk RM7500 system. consisting of satellites each with 5 1/4" mids and 1" tweeters, and a killer 250 watt powered sub with dual 10's...all in high gloss cabinetry. Click below (it was the best info I could find).

Polk RM-7500 on ebay

I would definitely take 4KRG's advice and make sure you get a 30 day money back guarantee no matter whose speakers you buy.

------------------
"Man...you don't need a million dollars to do nothing. $hit, take a look at my cousin; he's broke...don't do $hit."

What I'd buy if I had a million dollars.

ON MY $HIT LIST
----------------
FAMILYBLUNDER
BESTBYE

[This message has been edited by wabio (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old 06-06-00, 03:25 PM

Now see, you have raised some legitimate (sp?) issues. Let me see if I can address some of them.

1) We don't require our systems to be displayed seperately. I do understand that often our Lifestyle systems are when you go to a Circuit City or Best Buy. I have no idea why. I'd prefer them to be with the others so that everyone could have a fair listening experience. Also, the Acoustimass systems are not (or at least never that I've seen) seperated from the other home theater speaker systems.

2) I've never heard anyone say not to buy used Bose. We are not told that in anyway. I would say buy used if possible. It comes with the exact same warrenty and money back garuntee(sp?). Why not save a few hundred dollars?

3) We do, for customer convience, offer not a 30 day return period, but a 90 day return period. By far the best around. That's a full money back period too. So, yes, I'm with the other guys on this one. By two systems and take both home. Hook them up to the SAME receiver and test both equally!

4) The price could be considered a little high. Most other complete speaker systems with a powered sub retail for around $999 and the Acoustimass 15 is $1299.

Hmmm...that gives me a cool idea. Wouldn't it be cool to go to someone's house that had a large theater room. Have a few of us audio/video peps brings systems just to actually put them to the FULL test!? I would love to push an Acoustimass 15 to its limits. I'd also love to hear a complete Paradigm system (loves those). But, I'd also love to hear the Polk, Energy, Boston, Cambridge, and all those others that are on the same level.

Thanks for the imput.
Old 06-06-00, 04:02 PM

Well,

It obviously appears to be Bose Pro (who works for Bose) against the majority of other posters.

I guess the real question to ask yourself is "why do all these people have so many negative things to say against Bose?". It seems to me that there are two possible answers. Either:

a. We are all bitter folk who love dogging things.

or

b. There are some legitimate concerns that we have experienced using Bose equipment.

Now, Bose Pro can debate how good Bose is...and we can all try to steer you clear of Bose. It really doesn't matter because it's what YOU like that counts.

What I would recommend is to follow brilon's advice and listen to many different brands of speakers. Make the decision on your own and DON'T make the decision on a 5 minute listening session or a brochure ad.

It is my opinion that for the money, there are better sounding speakers out there. This is NOT to say that the Bose sound bad, just overpriced for what you get.

Anyway, cathoppy good luck with your center speaker search. I haven't seen too many discounts on Bose, so I'm not sure what to recommend along those lines. I do know that the center speaker is the most important speaker you can buy for movies...make sure you are happy with your purchase.

...awaiting Bose Pro's inevitable response...

[This message has been edited by ubasti (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old 06-06-00, 04:11 PM

You knew it was coming...

You have good points. I'm not dogging anyone's input. I've said time and time again,go with what you like (as you said). If that's Bose, great. If it's not, great. I was giving CATHOPPY answers to her questions. And I agree with everyone's input on comparing the speakers for yourself. It's all about what the listener likes, not what 20 people on a DVDTALK forum recommmed.

Old 06-06-00, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ubasti just nailed it. Hit it over the fence. Couldn't have said it any better.

I'll only add that besides costing too much for the sound and build quailty you get, Bose has a reputation for quality that is completely derived from their extensive advertising campaigns, and generally only repeated and believed by people who don't have a lot of experience with other brands.

Or by people who work for Bose.

Or by people who have bought Bose and have a vested interest in believing they haven't thrown their money away.

And that's why there's such a backlash.

-S
Old 06-06-00, 07:15 PM

Hey Bosepro,

The comment on is does not matter what 20 people on DVDTalk say is crap.Read my first post and go to those sites.There are close to a thousand negative reviews on them.Hometheater Magazine (who have tested hundreds of different brands),gave them by far the worst review ever.
Bose marketing are after the uneducated music and movie lovers who do NOT know the difference.I would love for you to go to the Hometheater Forum,AV Science Forum,Digital Theater Forum,Audio Asylum and Audioreview and post this same topic.I know why you choose this Forum.

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited June 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old 06-07-00, 12:03 AM

Brilon, you're an idiot, plan and simple. I didn't post this topic!! I replied to a person's questoin and you started bashing Bose. I didn't choose this forum. If the same question had been put into another forum, I would have posted there.

And, what I meant by "what 20 people recommend doesn't matter" didn't mean that we are all wrong. It was meant to be that when it comes down to it, no matter what speakers a person recommends, the person looking for speakers is going to make his/her own decision based on what they hear.

As far as reviews goes, Sound and Vision (which use to be Stereo Review and another mag) gave the Acoustimass 15 a beautiful review. Remember, for every con, there is a pro. So what review are you going to trust? NEITHER!!! Listen to a systme yourself and decide.

Damn! I wish you people could just be more open minded and take the sticks out of your asses. Some of you are cool and present your critizisms in a professional manner with legitimate questions and await answers. But others, damn, you are so cynical and think you know everything when you haven't experienced **** !

Enough said.
Old 06-07-00, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bose Pro

You really should alter or delete that post. Any point you may have made earlier is now shot and you look like a child.

Just some friendly advice.
Old 06-07-00, 08:58 AM

I should have worded that better.I did not mean that you posted the topic.I meant that if this topic was being debated at those sites,you would have been toasted by veteran audiophiles who know the difference.
Sound&Vision is hanging on by a thread,back when they were Stereo Review &Video Review,they NEVER gave a poor review of ANYTHING.Julian Hirsch thought ever piece of equipment sounded great.This is my last post on this subject because I do not want you to get even more upset.
Old 06-07-00, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey! I'm a Bose owner. Don't be bashin' it.

As a matter of fact, I'm so happy with Bose that I SOLD THE DAMN THINGS (AM-10) FOR OVER $600 AT EBAY AND BOUGHT A REAL SPEAKER SYSTEM!!

Dude, don't do it. Go listen to other systems and if you still want the Bose, go for it. Just remember there is always Ebay.
Old 06-07-00, 03:42 PM

Again,

Bose Pro, geesh...Sound and Vision? They'd give a good review to a pile of crap if the said pile of crap advertized in their magazine.

I normally wouldn't have responded, but Sound and Vision is the appitomy of a magazine to never take any review at face value (even if it is a stellar piece of equipment). That magazine's reviewers have been bought by their advertisers. Not a SINGLE bad review ever graced their pages, and it was much worse when they were Stereo Review.

I must emphasize my point as to NOT listen to ads and review the products for yourself. If YOU like the sound of Bose, then that is the speaker you should buy.

The Sprite commercials say it best, "Obey your thrist...not some stupid marketing ad."
Old 06-07-00, 04:28 PM

I e-mailed Brilon already and we both agreed that this has already gotten way out of hand.

I'm sorry that everyone had to read this thread.

This will be my last post on this thread.
Old 06-07-00, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Some of you may know that I work for a speaker company. I will give you my spin on the Bose thing.

First, are Bose good speakers? Yes they are ver good for what they are. Bose has excellent engineering and knows what they are doing. They have many patents and are a engineering leader in the industry.

But, at there price they are poor performers in comparision to the competition. In blind listen test the continue to lose to same price equipment. The strength comes for what we call phsyco-acoustics, ie: wow listen to all that sound from these small little speakers that is amazing. We have designed many product to compete with the Acoustimas (as have others). These product win blind testing before production. They are introduced at half the price of the Bose and are failures! Why?

Bose do not get into trouble. They never excel but they never fail. Everyone knows the name Bose.

My point is at the price almost every system from the competition will out perform the Bose. But they will all be much larger and this is important for many people.

Bose is a marketing company. An Acoustimas sat cost less the five dollars to make! the sub about $60. This is a cost of about $90. Is a 10 times markup what you are look for?

Let me tell you about the darker side of Bose. This company is in the process of sueing many companies for using flared ports (a radius at the opening of the port). They after years of use thy filed for a patent and got it. Now they what payment from companies that have had these style designs for years. The first round the lost so they went back and filed a revision to a pending patent and now are trying again.

Look I do not care what system anyone gets but the facts are the facts. Many people love these systems you maybe one. If you listen and like it and can afford it the it is a good system. Go for it. But to discount recommendations to shop around is a mistake.
Old 06-07-00, 06:48 PM

Hey, through all this arguing I've learned a bit about speakers...

bfrank, what is your opinion of the Cambridge Soundworks sat. systems? I've heard them, and they sound great to me, but am I being seduced by "phsyco-acoustics?"

Thanks!
Chris
Old 06-07-00, 09:12 PM

Bose = poor value. Plain and simple.

Listen to brands from NHT, PSB, Paradigm,
Definitive Technology, Mirage, Monitor Audio,
and others.

Look in the yellow pages under "Stereo", Best
Buy an other 'mass' stores will lead nowhere.

If you don't listen to some of these brands,
and blindly buy Bose based on their marketing,
you will not be obtaining the best sound for
your dollar.

You have to weigh how important sound quality
is to you, and act accordingly, or not at all.

Happy listening, and if you do decide to act,
bring your own CDs to the stores, so you can
listen to music with which you are very familiar.

I guarantee if you act, you will not end up
with Bose.

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 06-07-00, 09:19 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bose Pro:
Brilon, you're an idiot, plan and simple.
<HR>

How nice.

quote:<HR>
As far as reviews goes, Sound and Vision (which use to be Stereo Review and another mag) gave the Acoustimass 15 a beautiful review.
<HR>

Sound & Vision/Stereo Review is a joke of an
audio magazine. All their reviews are
positive, so getting a good review from them,
is hardly cause to shout from the rooftops, or
call other people idiots...

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 06-07-00, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Let me tell you about the darker side of Bose. This company is in the process of sueing many companies for using flared ports (a radius at the opening of the port). They after years of use thy filed for a patent and got it. Now they what payment from companies that have had these style designs for years. The first round the lost so they went back and filed a revision to a pending patent and now are trying again.<HR>

Those money hungry bastards! I think we should split the company in two! This only reinforces what I've always felt about the Acoustimass...computer speakers on steroids.
Now, if we could only get people to stop wasting their money on Oreck vacuums.

------------------
"Man...you don't need a million dollars to do nothing. $hit, take a look at my cousin; he's broke...don't do $hit."

What I'd buy if I had a million dollars.

ON MY $HIT LIST
----------------
FAMILYBLUNDER
BESTBYE

[This message has been edited by wabio (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-07-00, 10:12 PM
SS

Bose has no place in home theater. they do a great job dispersing background sound like no other speaker but are simply not for listening to and certainly not for filling a home theater with sound. They would be excellant in and elevator or small bathroom or maybe a bedroom. The acoustimass system simply cannot fill a medium sized room with big sound. I don't think they are designed to. They have their lifestyle systems and such and they can fill a room with background noise and thats it. I agree with every post except bosepro that other speakers have to be considered for home theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.