Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-00, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I've picked out two DVD players with DD Decoders that I want - the Sony DVPS530D and the Toshiba SD2200. Now I need EVERYBODY who can help me pick between the two tell me why I should buy/avoid one of these two. THANK YOU to all DVD experts who take up the challenge - I'll let you know the results if you want!
Old 05-31-00, 07:00 PM
ripthorne

the Toshiba 2200!

IT ROCKS!

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 05-31-00, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sony 330 and 530 are the only players I have seen with consistant lip-sync problems...

Go with the Toshiba

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 06-01-00, 02:33 AM
Topgun94

The new Sony S560 has the built in decoder, a lower price and it seems all lip sync problems are gone on the new models.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 06-01-00, 03:21 AM

I have the new Sony 360 (didn't need the decoder)...

No lips synch problems at all. Looks like they've fixed that problem. I'm assuming the 560 will have no problems either (since it's basically a 360 w/ decoder).

Toshiba has always made a good DVD player.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice at the present time.
Old 06-01-00, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...Also AudioReview.com will have tons of reviews on all these players, check them out...

------------------
Old 06-03-00, 05:06 AM

Toshiba 2200 no doubt!!!
Old 06-05-00, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go with the Sony. Sony DVD players seem to have the least compatibility problems.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 06-05-00, 01:49 PM
Cool New Member

My vote goes for the Toshiba 2200. I had the 3109 and just upgraded to the 2200. Both have been great units.

Don't know about the Sony, but the Toshiba has dual trays, component video out, coax and optical digital outs, and gold plated connections (whoopie).

I recently purchased it from buy.com for only $249. They're also offering free shipping on that player.

Good luck, whatever player you choose.

------------------
InsaniT
My DVD Library
Old 06-05-00, 02:39 PM

Hmm...tough decision. I bought my Mitshubishi DD1000 like 4 years ago and I love it. Since Toshiba is Mitshubishi, I know it will be a great DVD player.

But, some people are diehard Sony freaks and will go with nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I own A LOT of Sony stuff, but we all have to keep an open mind.

Looks like veryone else likes the Toshiba...go with that.
Old 06-05-00, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go with the NEW sony 560... I have the 330 and have had no lipsynch problems. The newer models should be even better. Great picture quality. I think the new 560 lists for about $300, so prices keep coming down.

p.s. don't know if the sony's still come with it, but mine came with a card to get 2 dvds from columbia hourse for $5 shipping with NO COMMITMENT and NO AUTOMATIC SHIPMENTS. You may want to find out if there is one of these in the box...
EDITING TO ADD THIS which seems to confirm the above (posted in the bargain forum):

"If you are looking to buy a Sony DVD player or own one recently, you can take advantage of a special offer from CH. You get 2 free DVDs for $4.95 shipping and become a charter member of CH with NO obligation and NO automatic shipment. The promotion is valid on Sony DVD player purchased between 1/3/2000 and 8/31/2001. You can get the promotion certificate from most stores.
Cool! I just received my 2 DVDs for less than 5 bucks. Perhaps I will cancel the membership and use the HMA code later "

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old 06-05-00, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bose Pro:
Hmm...tough decision. I bought my Mitshubishi DD1000 like 4 years ago and I love it. Since Toshiba is Mitshubishi, I know it will be a great DVD player.

But, some people are diehard Sony freaks and will go with nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I own A LOT of Sony stuff, but we all have to keep an open mind.

Looks like veryone else likes the Toshiba...go with that.
<HR>

DVD was not out 4 years ago, it launched in March of 1997, and Toshiba and Mitsubishi are not the same company, they are two distinct and very different entities.

------------------
Old 06-05-00, 08:57 PM

Man, I have no idea what you think you know. I have the receipt right here showing my purchase of my DVD player and my 36" TV on November 16, 1996! DVD was out in Japan in the early 90's man. Better check your facts bro. And yes, Toshiba is a sister company of Mitshubishi, like Proscan and RCA.

Old 06-05-00, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why don't you check your facts bub:

#1 DVD launched in the US in March of 1997. Period.

For proof check the Consumer Electronics Association sales figures: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html

#2 DVD launched in JAPAN in November of 1996. As evidenced by the ever reliable DVD FAQ

"Some manufacturers originally announced that DVD players would be available as early as the middle of 1996. These predictions were woefully optimistic. Delivery was initially held up for "political" reasons of copy protection demanded by movie studios, but was later delayed by lack of titles. The first players appeared in Japan in November, 1996, followed by U.S. players in March, 1997. Players slowly trickled in to other regions."

DVD was not available anywhere in the world in the "early 90's man". Your Mitsubishi (and it is "Mitsubishi" not "Mitshubishi" as you keep typing) if you did indeed buy it in Nov. of 96 as you state is not a region 1 player.

Check your facts, bro!

------------------
Old 06-06-00, 09:36 AM

Cool, a fight!! Perfect timing, guys... Fight Club streets today.... Anyhoo, just thought I'd update: I bought the Sony 560 and am EXTREMELY pleased with it. The picture quality is excellent and with a AC-3 decoder built-in for only $265 (at Best Buy), it was a HELL of a pick!! I'll keep the Toshiba in mind, however, if I decide to pick up a new player sometime in the future. Thanks to ALL you guys for your input, feel free to return to the public pummeling... *L*

[email protected]
Old 06-06-00, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats and enjoy.....love my sony too
Old 06-06-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Test Sig

------------------
Michael
My DVD'S