Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Finally got a DD/DTS system.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Finally got a DD/DTS system.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-00, 12:39 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a DVD player for about a year and a half and I finally got a surround system. I got a good deal on a Sony STR-DE835 DD/DTS receiver and a Sony SA-VE315 speaker package at Sears. Got 6 months same as cash too, so the interest won't kill me.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 06-03-00, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, let me be the first to congratulate you!!! I know I was in awe the first time I had my system hooked up and everything was working right! Congrats and welcome to the Pandora's box of DTS!!!
Old 06-03-00, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Welcome to DTS buddy!!!

You WILL be blownaway!

Get the DTS Versions of to start your DTS listening experience:

GALAXY QUEST
Bowfinger(both formats on this disc)
Dances With Wolves

Old 06-03-00, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Josh, just be on the lookout for over-heating with your DE835, that's the only real drawback to this receiver. Check out the reviews on www.audioreview.com and make sure your unit doesn't behave erratically for you.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 06-03-00, 06:02 AM
Retired

I put it on the bottom shelf of my entertainment system, there's no glass in front of it and nothing on top of it. Hopefully that'll keep it from overheating. I don't listen to stuff overly loud anyway. It's any a fairly small room, so about quarter volume is more than loud enough. Usually too loud actually.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 06-03-00, 08:10 AM
Uber Member

I thought it was DD EX. ES is the acronymn that DTS's 6.1 audio format is using.

Also, is DDEX changing it's bitrate/compression too? I was under the impression that all DD EX did was matrix in a center rear channel. While this will make for a more enveloping rear surround environment, it won't necessarily over take DTS's increased accuracy and very impressive imaging from all speaker positions.

And Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me has a DD EX track on it. And is the Haunting out yet?

Josh,

Congrats on the new system! Don't fret about DD EX. Getting it now would be like buying a Pentium 3 1000 mhz the day it went on sale. Way over priced and very little software that can take advantage of it.

And those xx months same as cash deals are great aren't they? (as long as you pay it off in time, of course)

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 06-03-00, 11:18 AM

Well put Blade.Except I just got the Denon AVR-4800 for $1379.00 shipped.If you look hard enough,you can get a REAL good deal.Also the new Outlaw receiver has DDEX for $599.99.
Old 06-03-00, 03:39 PM

Welcome to the wounderful sound of DTS!!!

when I first upgraded from Dolby Prologic to DD/DTS i also was in awe, you will surely love it, I did!!!!!!
http://dvdtracker.com/~edios.asp
check my list for some great DTS DVDs
all the ones I have rock the house!

------------------
DTS
HERE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVERY TIME
Old 06-03-00, 04:08 PM
Retired

I knew about DD EX, but really didn't care. Very little software will take advantage of it. I mean the majority of stuff isn't even DTS. I prefer this anyway as dd5.1 disks have more extras. I can tell a little difference in the dd5.1 and dts tracks on the Bone Collector and don't feel it's enough to make me buy a DTS only bare bone disk. To get back on topic, I really don't think a center surround speaker would make all that much difference. A little fuller, sure. Worth the extra money, no.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 06-03-00, 04:38 PM

It makes a HUGE difference.By this time next year,you will see a lot of titles being released with EX.Technology keeps moving forward whether we like it or not.You must first hear EX before you make any statements.
Old 06-03-00, 04:57 PM
Topgun94

EX sounds pretty amazing. Like you I bought a new DD/DTS receiver now. I will probably upgrade again, but I am hoping to enjoy what I have for a couple of years.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD
Laserdisc
Old 06-03-00, 05:17 PM
Retired

I'm sure EX makes a good bit of difference, I just meant it probably isn't worth the price it costs now. In a few years when the price drops, sure. They will probably make a decoder box that you can hook up to your existing receiver anyway. I still don't think it will be on too many movies in the near future. I mean look at how the major studios are treating DTS. According to DVDFile the new warner DTS discs (Interview with the vampire, Lethal Weapons, etc.) don't even mention DTS on the packaging. I guess I should mention that I'm not an Audiophile and as long as there are DD/DTS tracks on dvd's I probably won't bother upgrading.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-03-00, 06:02 PM

Dolby Digital is the adopted standard now.Dolby already has FULL intention of Dolby Digital EX to be released on a lot of upcoming titles.DTS is a different matter altogether.DTS even is having their own version of EX.The current EX titles now are Fight Club,Bone Collector,Austin Powers 2,The Haunting,Bats,The Messenger,The World Is Not Enough and I know for sure the new upcoming Terminator 2.You are saying the same thing others said 3 years ago when they said Dolby Digital is not worth the extra money.There already is an outboard box for EX which cost $299.99.

[This message has been edited by brilon (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-04-00, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh,
Welcome to DTS. You should enjoy. I try to purchase all of the good DTS titles that come out and replace older titles (i.e. Lethal Weapon, Twister) with the newer DTS versions. Have fun..

------------------
Now Playing

[This message has been edited by Low RG (edited June 04, 2000).]
Old 06-04-00, 04:31 PM
Retired

Dolby Digital wasn't worth the money 3 years ago when it was new, overpriced, and had limited support. I'm not an audio or videophile so I usually wait for new technology to drop to a reasonable price. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing ex. I still don't see how going from dts/dd to ex can be as good an improvement from going to dd from the 2 channel stereo system I had before though. I don't see how adding one more surround speaker can have the same impact as adding a center, 2 surrounds, and a powered subwoofer. Maybe you meant the same difference going from prologic to dd?

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited June 04, 2000).]
Old 06-05-00, 07:14 PM

brilon -
Where did you buy you Denon 4800? I am interested in buying one and I haven't seen a price as low as $1379 shipped.