Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's Pre-order Price Protection Policy?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed a pre-order for Coraline which comes with Amazon's pre-order price protection.

My price was $20.49. Yet today (day before street date), Amazon shipped my order at the original price instead of the new price today which Amazon lowered to $19.49.

When I received my shipping notice, I noticed it had the higher price, so I contacted Amazon customer service for a $1 adjustment (it's the principle of the thing!). I could have re-ordered at the new price and send the original item back, but I was trying to keep things simple!

When I called them, they said they could not do an adjustment once the item is shipped. I thought the price protection was in place until actual street date, but not after since Amazon canceled it's 30-day post price protection policy.

Amazon did offer to make "an exception" and refund one dollar on my account. I even had to talk to a supervisor just to do that!

What is going on here?
Old 07-20-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Amazon's Pre-order Price Protection Policy?

It's a conspiracy.
Old 07-20-09, 06:32 PM

From the product page of a pre-order:

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
And the relevant portion of the "restrictions" here:

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered before the end of the day of the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact Customer Service.
So even though your order shipped early, you should have still been covered by the guarantee and it should have been an automatic credit. Note that it usually takes about 5 days from shipment before I receive the "you got a refund" emails from the Pre-Order Price Guarantee.
Old 07-22-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine shipped at 20.49 but I got a note today saying I was getting refunded $1 since it was 19.49 on release day. This did not require action on my part.
Old 07-22-09, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Mine shipped at 20.49 but I got a note today saying I was getting refunded $1 since it was 19.49 on release day. This did not require action on my part.
I received my note today as well.

This is proof that the customer service supervisor I spoke with had no idea of their pre-order price policy. I even pasted him Amazon's policy to prove I knew what I was talking about!

If the supervisor would have told me that Amazon would automatically issue a credit in a few days as part of their policy, I would have backed off!
Old 07-25-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre-ordered a book from Amazon at $16.49, and apparently the price dropped to $14.99 so they automatically refunded me the $1.50. Didn't even realize it until I got the e-mail.
Old 07-25-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I pre-order from Amazon, I add the item to my cart again and save it to see if it goes lower. I'm also a prime member, so if it drops down, I don't even chance that they may not send me the difference back, so I just cancel the pre-order and re-order at the lower price.
Old 07-25-09, 11:19 PM

Same situation happened to me with Coraline. However, Amazon refunded the difference without me contacting them to complain.
Old 07-31-09, 11:19 PM

I just had the same situation happen to me with Monk Season Seven. I bought it for $34 and change and it dropped to $32.49 on release day. I had preordered the title months before, so it was already at my door when I noticed. I was a little miffed about the price drop and was quite surprised when Amazon sent an email a day later informing me of the credit to my account. So basically, if the price drops release day on a preorder, you'll get the difference it seems.
Old 10-10-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
It's a conspiracy.
Looks like I'm on the hit list.

I ordered Blloom County it shipped a few days ago and the same day went $3 lower.

still no refund.
I can't figure out how to let them know I want a refund, anyone help me on this, is there a specific link to use?
Old 10-10-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ look in your order history/invoice. there is a button near the top right corner of the online invoice that says "problem with this order?", click it, and fill the appropriate fields. voila!
Old 10-10-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ nope not on the page i'm looking at.
all i see is a "need to return an item?" button.

Old 10-11-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Use their contact email form with you order info selected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ay-and-gc.html