Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba CW34X92 vs. Panasonic Tau

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba CW34X92 vs. Panasonic Tau

Old 05-31-00, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondering if anyone here has compared the Toshiba 34in HDTV ready widescreen and the Panasonic 34 Tau? Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.
Old 07-19-01, 12:43 AM

Just did a search and thought that I'd ressurect this thread. Does anyone like these direct view hdtv's or could you suggest any other models to check out?

Thanks

Ken
Old 07-19-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man this is an old post. i ended up getting the Toshiba over the Panasonic; to my eyes the color and contrast were better than the Tau. but i experienced some convergence problems with the Toshiba and the dealer replaced the unit. the second one, however, was even worse. in the end, i returned the Toshiba and purchased a SharpVision model which uses the same tube as the Toshiba.

The picture on the SharpVision is not quite as good as the Toshiba but the ergonomics on the Sharp are far superior to the Toshiba.

My thoughts on the Toshiba:

* the set has an amazing picture--vibrant colors, deep blacks, great contrast--and it's easy to adjust. the image is also very sharp and w/ good content can approach a near 3d quality. of the direct view HDTV's i've looked at, i think this model has the best overall color/picture.

In the negative column:

* the set features one of the SLOWEST tuners, i've ever seen. changing channels takes about 2-3 seconds. doesn't sound like much---but live with it for a week.

* locks into "full mode" on a progressive scan source.

* no direct access to specific inputs or screen modes (you have to wade thru the menu—this too gets old very quickly).

* no built in 3:2 pulldown support (not an issue if you have a progressive scan player).

* only one video memory

* no remote control discrete codes (only an issue if you have a programmable remote like the Pronto).

Overall it’s a great set with poor ergonomics and inconsistent quality control.

FWIW: The Perfect Vision just ran a review of a new Sampo direct view that looks interesting.

Last edited by audrey; 07-20-01 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-20-01, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do any of you know how the 38" RCA HDTV compares to the Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sharp direct view models? I saw it at Best Buy recently and thought the picture quality was amazing. I'm pretty much planning on getting a rear projection HDTV, but I have to admit, the picture on the direct view sets is unequalled.
Old 07-20-01, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advice Audrey.

I just read the review on the Sampo SME-34WHD5 and found it more than interesting.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a dealer in Portland that carries them so I can check them out myself.