Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of Watchmen

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 01:37 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The review states only the blue guy has super powers but didnt Ozymandias have super strength as well as super intelligence?
Old 07-14-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of Watchmen

According to the source, he was as smart and physically fit a human being could feasibly be.

As such,
Spoiler:
the catching a bullet bit was always a stretch

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 07-14-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:54 PM

Curiously, does anybody know if the 2-disc edition also includes the theatrical cut?

I'd like to have both versions, but don't want to buy this title twice if I don't have to.

I'll certainly check out the review, but thought it couldn't hurt to also ask the question here.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-09, 12:34 AM

I also have a question, can anyone answer if the Blu-Ray version has the game "Watchmen: The End Is Nigh" in the Special Features section on the disc?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-09, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
I also have a question, can anyone answer if the Blu-Ray version has the game "Watchmen: The End Is Nigh" in the Special Features section on the disc?

Thanks!
From what I've heard the PS3 version of the game has the Blu-Ray version of the movie on it, not the other way around.
Old 07-22-09, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
The review states only the blue guy has super powers but didnt Ozymandias have super strength as well as super intelligence?
In the original book
Spoiler:
it's made explicit that only Doctor Manhattan has abilities beyond that of a normal human being. Though Ozymandias did manage to catch a bullet in his hands.

The film sort of confuses things a bit where you have "the killer" and the Comedian punching holes through solid walls and counter tops with their fists.
Old 07-24-09, 10:39 AM

Okay, so the review didn't include mention of whether or not the theatrical cut is included in the 2-disc or Blu-ray editions. In a way, it's short-sighted NOT to include an alternate cut via seamless branching, since it manipulates existing content without needing to put the content on the disc twice. That's one of the tfeatures they originally hyped about the format -- multiple versions of the film all on one disc. I guess that makes too much sense these days...

Anyway, does anybody know whether or not the theatrical cut is included?
Old 07-24-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Anyway, does anybody know whether or not the theatrical cut is included?
The low-resolution digital copy is the theatrical cut, but the Blu-ray is otherwise the director's cut only.
Old 07-24-09, 08:03 PM
AGL

I have the Watchmen Blu-ray DVD and when I try to play Maximum Movie Mode, it plays for about 30 seconds and then just cuts off and exits automatically. I first thought it was a glitch on the individual disc, but I exchanged the disc and the same thing is happening on the new one, too. I have no clue what's wrong and it's really frustrating. Does anyone know why it's doing this? Can someone help me?
Old 07-25-09, 07:37 AM
Defunct Account

I'd check to see if your player has the latest firmware. That could be the problem.
Old 07-25-09, 07:49 PM
AGL

I don't know what firmware is. How do I check that?
Old 07-25-09, 08:51 PM
Defunct Account

I depends on the player. Look it up in the manual (many are available on line at the manufacturer's site.)
Old 07-26-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

More FYI: Firmware is a term sometimes used to denote the fixed, usually rather small, programs that internally control various electronic devices. Typical examples range from end-user products such as remote controls or calculators, through computer parts and devices like harddisks, keyboards, TFT screens or memory cards, all the way to scientific instrumentation and industrial robotics. Also more complex consumer devices, such as mobile phones, digital cameras, synthesizers, etc., contain firmware to enable the device's basic operation as well as implementing higher level functions.
Naturally, there is no strict, or well defined, boundaries between firmware and software, both are quite loose descriptive terms. However, firmware is typically involved with very basic low-level operations in a device, without which the device would be completely non-functional. Firmware is also a relative term, as most embedded devices contain firmware at more than one level. Subsystems such as LCD modules, flash chips, communication controllers etc, have their own (usually fixed) program code and/or microcode, regarded as 'part of the hardware' by the higher level firmware. ~ thanks wikipedia