Politics & World Events (Reverse) Sheep, Round 3 — Hypersheep

Old 06-03-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Politics & World Events (Reverse) Sheep, Round 3 — Hypersheep

Never played before? Here's some praise for the game:
Spoiler:

"woohoo!" - Venusian

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"Bus, I know it has been said before, but you really do a great job with these threads." - orangecrush18

Rules

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common ("Sheep") or unique ("Reverse Sheep"), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a 19th century president." A good answer would be Abraham Lincoln and a bad answer might be Millard Fillmore.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a country in Europe". Germany might be a bad answer, but Lichtenstein might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • New! The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier. Wrong answers in Sheep are not penalized.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, e-mailing Rockmjd23, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers. The lowest score wins.
  • New! Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ×2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a x2 round and a +6 penalty in a x3 round. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • New! The State Matching Bonus.
    Spoiler:

A lot of questions have the possibility of matching states. I'll be counting states that may appear as answers in off-beat questions, like Question 1 and Question 17. Each pair of answers that contains the full name of a US state gets a -1 bonus. Let's say Player 1 has three answers which are "Florida" (red) and two answers which are "Illinois" (blue). Player 2 has four answers which are all "Maine" (green).

Player 1 has a total of four pairs, so he gets a -4 bonus to his score. Player 2 has a total of six pairs (count each green line) so he gets a -6 bonus to his score. The absolute maximum bonus you can get (cumulative across all matches) is -15. If your answer is wrong, you don't get a bonus at all for that question.

I will accept answers that contain the names of states, but nothing transitive (i.e. the state's capital matching with the state).

• Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. New! Those who do not do this will be penalized 7 points right off the bat.
  • New! For your convenience, I've made an Excel file where you can prepare your answers. When finished, just select the column of answers and send that in as text via PM. Don't email me the Excel file, that would be silly. (Google version here).
  • You have until at least Monday, June 8, at 9:00AM EDT to send in answers. The game will begin sometime that week.

The Questions

Sheep

1. Aside from Roe v. Wade, name a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court (by name).
  2. Aside from the New York Times and the Washington Post, name a major American newspaper.
  3. ×2 Name a battle during the American Revolutionary War.
  4. Name a company that has gone through turmoil (or ceased to exist completely) in the last five years.
  5. Name a television show where Barack Obama has made an in-person (or by satellite) appearance.
  6. Name one of the 19th century industrialists who were refered to as Robber Barons. 1-pt. Bonus: Name what industry they were primarily associated with.
  7. Name one of the original thirteen colonies.
  8. ×2 Name a NASA space shuttle that did not blow up.
  9. Name a United States state capital with more than ten letters in its name.

Reverse Sheep

10. Since Black Monday on October 28, 1929, the United States has gone through a number of economic contractions, as defined by the National Bureau of Economic Research. Name one of them by name or a month and year when we were in contraction.
  11. Name a woman or African-American that has run for president or vice president in a general election in the United States.
  12. Name a state that has ten or more members in the House of Representatives of the 111th Congress.
  13. Name a country that is known to have nuclear weapons. "Known" means that the country is recognized as having weapons by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, or has conducted a test of a nuclear weapon.
  14. Name a stock exchange with a market value of at least 400 billion dollars. You can name it by its name (NYSE) or main stock market index (DJIA). There's at least fifteen.
  15. Name a present-day country which was entirely under Axis control for at least a 12 month period during World War II.
  16. Name one of the main service branches of the United States armed forces.
  17. ×2 The United States has broken up many monopolies over the years. Name one of the spaces a player can land on in the game Monopoly.
  18. As measured by the Foreign Trade Statistics office of the US Census Bureau, name one of our top fifteen trading partners, measured in value of goods only (not services). This can be in imports, exports, or total trade and is measured using the latest YTD data.
  19. It is estimated that over sixteen million military personnel and civilians lost their lives during World War I. Name a country or power that suffered over 100,000 deaths.
  20. Name a state in the US whose Asian, American Indian, Alaskan Native, or Pacific Islander population is higher than the national average.
  21. ×2 Name a United States president who was only elected once.
  22. Name one of the 25 richest people in the world, as defined in USD net worth by Forbes magazine.
  23. Name a state whose name both starts and ends in a vowel or consonant (i.e. not Delaware or Illinois).
  24. Name one of the first ten positions in the United States presidential line of succession.
  25. ×2 Name one of the top ten countries in the world by population or land area.
  26. Transparency International publishes an annual Corruption Perceptions Index ordering the countries of the world according to the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist. Name one of the 25 least corrupt countries in the world.
  27. ×2 Name an Ivy League school.
  28. Name the head of state of a South American nation.
  29. ×3 Let's try this again, this time for higher stakes. Name one of the United States federal executive departments.
  30. Name an existing country where the Communist Party was or is the ruling party.
  31. ×2 Name a state that doesn't border or contain any ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, any of the Great Lakes, or the Mississippi River (its sub-basins are OK).

A special thank you to Jeremy517 and mosquitobite, who both contributed questions I've slightly modified here. You have until at least Monday, June 8, at 9:00AM EDT to send in answers. The game will begin sometime that week.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Politics & World Events (Reverse) Sheep, Round 3 — Hypersheep

Way too complicated and stupid this time. You can quote me on that.
Old 06-03-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the state matching is only for questions that don't specifically ask for a state as the answer?
Old 06-03-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred
So the state matching is only for questions that don't specifically ask for a state as the answer?
Nope, it's on any question.
Old 06-03-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State thing is a little confusing but basically repeating states in answers is good, right?

I'm going to actually take time to think this time so I'll probably send them tomorrow instead of rushing you answers in the next five minutes
Old 06-03-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and you should make that a google spreadsheet
Old 06-03-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a lot clearer if you use the Excel file.
Old 06-03-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the confusion:

Player 1 has a total of four pairs, so he gets a -4 bonus to his score. Player 2 has a total of six pairs (count each green line) so he gets a -5 bonus to his score.
should that be -6?
Old 06-03-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Venusian
State thing is a little confusing but basically repeating states in answers is good, right?
Yes, the more states you repeat, the more of a chance you have to get the bonus.
Old 06-03-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's the confusion:

should that be -6?
Yes, that's -6. Fixed.
Old 06-03-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

and you should make that a google spreadsheet
Google Doc version.
Old 06-03-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Google Doc version.
sweet. you rock!
Old 06-03-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Question 39: Does "above average" refer to median, where there are 25 states above the middle value, or mean, where the states right at the middle value don't count as "above average"?
Old 06-03-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sent. I'm not waiting till the last day so there's no suspicions
Lots of guesses.
Old 06-03-09, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Sent. I'm not waiting till the last day so there's no suspicions
Lots of guesses.
Oh, please. You've had hours to use Google, browse wikipedia, and send e-mails off to Pulitzer-prize winning historian Daniel Walker Howe. We know what you're really about.

Old 06-03-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^lol
I can only name 2 south american heads of state, both obvious
Old 06-03-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

#39, Nick?

I'm not looking for one of the median states. If the national average for people with red hats is 3%, and DE, NY, NJ, and FL's averages are 1%, 2%, 3%, and 4% respectively, then FL would be a right answer.
Old 06-04-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

at the quotes. Also, I appreciate the bonus, but I think you are setting yourself up for some less than fun adding with that scheme.
Old 06-04-09, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, e-mailing Rockmjd23, etc. Use only what's in your head.

Some hard questions this time, I'm fully expecting to guess on at least five of these.
Old 06-04-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
at the quotes. Also, I appreciate the bonus, but I think you are setting yourself up for some less than fun adding with that scheme.
Actually, the way I tally everything through Excel should be pretty easy: it's a basic triangular number sequence. The question is when I should have the bonus be tallied up.
Old 06-04-09, 10:52 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm glad I won the first one. I don't think I have the endurance to handle these new and improved versions.
Old 06-04-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by VinVega
I'm glad I won the first one. I don't think I have the endurance to handle these new and improved versions.
Don't be such a Mod note --- You take that back about my mother
Old 06-04-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, e-mailing Rockmjd23, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Son of a...
Old 06-04-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Actually, the way I tally everything through Excel should be pretty easy: it's a basic triangular number sequence. The question is when I should have the bonus be tallied up.
I think the bonuses have to tally on the fly because it is more difficult for you to do.

But since the last question is a state question, you might as well just reveal them along with the final answer scores.
Old 06-04-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

There goes my lifeline option to Rockmjd23 for this round...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.