Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Now That's What I Call Music Sheep Vol. 1 - Track 02

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-05-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please read ALL The rules as Music Sheep has some new twists. This means you [REDACTED].
    Rules

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a popular band from the '80s." A good answer might be Journey and a bad answer might be Hanoi Rocks.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a Who Song". "Who Are You" might be a bad answer, but "Silas Stingy" might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers. The lowest score wins. There are no "wrong" answers in Sheep.
  • The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer, before round multipliers.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, IMDB, AllMusic, etc. Use only what's in your head. Cheating only hurts yourself and the people you beat by cheating.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself and with no blank lines (unless you are leaving a question blank). Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • Google spreadsheet containing answers is available here. Just copy the answer column and paste it to me in a PM.
  • Answers do not have to be super specific, but if I can't definitively figure out who you meant you are probably SOL. Song/Album names are going to be more strict. I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt, but don't be intentionally vague.
  • Note: Unless specifically mentioned in the question, all albums/artist answers have to have the majority of their content output in English. I don't want to be trying to verify Japanese language tracks or anything stupid like that.
    Definitions:
    • Band - A band must consist of more than participant. Ancillary members do not count. Ray Charles and his Raelettes are not a band. The White Stripes are. If the band is normally referred to as the name of one person, it's probably not a band.
    • Album - Album refers to a full length original recording on CD/Record/Tape/8-Track or an EP. Singles, Splits, compilations, collections, box sets, greatest hits packages and live albums do not qualify unless specified. Double albums do of course count.
    • Genre - If a question asks for a genre, trying to be ultra specific will not help you (Progressive Rock, Industrial Rock and Post Rock will all be considered Rock).
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.
  • The game will not begin until sometime after Monday, July 6th. There is a maximum of 50 participants for this game. You snooze you... well you probably win by not wasting your time.

• NEW ADDITION! - Uniqueness Bonus Points: Reverse sheep questions will generate bonus (negative) points if there are less than 6 people with unique answers according to the following table:
    1 Unique answer worth -9 additional points
    2 Uniques worth -5 points each
    3 Uniques worth -3 points each
    4 Uniques worth -2 points each
    5 Uniques worth -1 points each
  • The [REDACTED] Rule - Every YouTube video not posted by me will result in a 10 point penalty. You have been warned.

GAME IS CLOSED TO NEW ENTRANTS
    The Questions
    Opening Act (1x)
  1. S: Name the quintessential Frank Sinatra song.
  2. R: Name one of the 9 members of the Wu-Tang Clan.
  3. S: Name an influential Producer.
  4. S: Name a rock band from the '70s.

Headliner's Set (2x)
  5. R: Name an album that has had at least one explicit sequel (i.e. an album that has the same name but with the addition of a "Part II", "Vol II", "2", etc.). Self-titled albums do not count. If an album had 4 additional volumes they all count as one. Different subtitles are acceptable.
  6. R: Name a theatrically released documentary, the majority of whose runtime consists of concert footage.
  7. R: Name a "The" band which released their first album in the 2000s. (The band's name is of the form "The ______")
  8. S: Name an album with an offensive album cover.
  9. S: Name an artist or band considered a one hit wonder.
  10. R: Name a white rapper. The majority of their output (or at least one full album) must be rap. Scott Ian will not count.
  11. R: Name an original (non-cover) Beatles song.
  12. R: Name a song off of the original release of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".
  13. S: Name an influential live album.
  14. S: Name the best female singer of all time.

Encore (3x)
  15. S: Name the most influential American rock band
  16. S: Name a genre that sucks. For the purposes of this question, Country and Rap are not musical genres.
  17. R: Name a recording artist or band member currently in jail.
  18. S: Name the most famous cover song of all time. (I just need a song title, not a specific version and not the "most covered" song of all time Suprmallet).
  19. S: Name a band that epitomizes the sophomore slump.

2nd Encore (4x)
  20. S: Name a musician who should be dead, but is not. If your pick dies after you submit answers but before the results start you get 5 bonus points
  21. R: Name one of the Beatles. (Hint: There are only 4 that will be considered correct)
  22. R: Name an album released after 1980 that has sold at least 10 million copies

Go as obvious as possible on 1,3,4,8,9,13,14,15,16,18,19,20, for the others try to choose an answer no one else will.

If I run out of PM space, please post something here, and I'll copy the PMs out of my Inbox. All submissions are final unless I screw up and have to revise a question.

Last edited by Mordred; 07-06-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Now That's What I Call Music Sheep Vol. 1 - Track 02

For some reason the last thread was locked and I can't get anybody who has the power to tell me why or unlock it, so I had to resubmit. Whatever the reason it was locked, there is nothing in this thread that should get it locked again. Let's leave all the drama out of it. We currently have 48 entries, so that means we have TWO open spots.

The current plan is for the results to start Monday afternoon (~3CST when I get out of my meetings), and hopefully finish on Tuesday.

Best of luck, and no discussing answers until the results start please
Old 07-05-09, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Huzzah (huzz-baa?) for music sheep!
Old 07-05-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MUSIC SHEEP IS FULL!

Please do not send anymore entries. Thanks.
Old 07-05-09, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woooooooo.
Old 07-06-09, 02:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mordred
For some reason the last thread was locked and I can't get anybody who has the power to tell me why or unlock it, so I had to resubmit. Whatever the reason it was locked, there is nothing in this thread that should get it locked again. Let's leave all the drama out of it.
I locked it because it looked like it was full and, because things were getting out of hand and, as I was unaware that you had "kissed and made up", it seemed worthwhile allowing time for people to cool down somewhat.

Sometimes moderators lock a thread, temporarily, to review its contents at their leisure and see whether things can be salvaged or whether a Part Two would be the better option. For the most part I try to keep things moving but I was without Web access over the weekend so was unable to respond immediately to PMs.

Although I'm not able to guarantee "real time" moderation, I trust that the temporary hiatus hasn't spoiled the fun....
Old 07-06-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
I locked it because it looked like it was full and, because things were getting out of hand and, as I was unaware that you had "kissed and made up", it seemed worthwhile allowing time for people to cool down somewhat.

Sometimes moderators lock a thread, temporarily, to review its contents at their leisure and see whether things can be salvaged or whether a Part Two would be the better option. For the most part I try to keep things moving but I was without Web access over the weekend so was unable to respond immediately to PMs.

Although I'm not able to guarantee "real time" moderation, I trust that the temporary hiatus hasn't spoiled the fun....
It's all good. Thanks for getting back to us.
Old 07-06-09, 11:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

they are too many rules, I don't get it.

Last edited by Giles; 07-06-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-06-09, 11:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
they are too many rules, I don't get it.
Let's boil it down to the basics:

1. For Sheep questions (S), give the answer that you think most players in the game will choose.
2. For Reverse Sheep questions (R), give the answer that you think least players in the game will choose.
3. Use your brain only, no research (google, wikipedia, etc) allowed.
Old 07-06-09, 11:17 AM

so it's like Family Feud? sans the Reverse Sheep questions.
Old 07-06-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
so it's like Family Feud? sans the Reverse Sheep questions.
Yes except that the players are the survey, i.e. "Survey says!"
Old 07-06-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show will be starting soon, so let's begin the pre-show and watch our contestants walk the red-carpet.

achau9598
bootsy
brokenhanger
cdollaz
DeltaSigChi4
dhmac
drc
EdTheRipper
Fandango
FatTony
feenst
Fist of Doom
Flashback
Goat3001

Groucho
hasslein
Hokeyboy
Imprint
JasonF
Killer Cannibal
kstublen
lysander
macnorton
maxfisher
mcfly
Merkin Muffley
Michael Corvin
Mordred
Mountain Biker
movieking
orangecrush18
pinata242
redstand93
reverie
Rick Rubins
Robot Rock
Rockmjd
Rypro525
sauce07
scrumtrulescent
SleepyW
Suprmallet

Tarantino (w/ a date!)
the big train
The Bus
TheDude
Wazootyman
wendersfan
wishbone
woody5254
Old 07-06-09, 11:57 AM

wow Groucho and achau9598 look fabu.
Old 07-06-09, 12:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last place, here I come.
Old 07-06-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's introduce our panel of judges!

First off, all the way from Hong Kong we have superstar recording artist William Hung!

"Believe in yourself and you can sell more records than bands with talent!

Next, we have president of the RIAA, Cary Sherman!

"If you copy any part of this telecast I will sue your 6 year old daughter. I'm not kidding."

Last but not least, we have our head judge, wife of almost really important person, mother of many, I give you the Queen of Clean, Tipper Gore!

"...well what I couldn't figure out was whether she was actually rubbing the magazine on herself, or just reading it while she was touching..."

Ehrmm... let's come back to the judges later.
Old 07-06-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now, behind the scenes all your votes are being tabulated and the results are being certified by our crack accounting team from Arthur Andersen.

We've spared no expense to ensure this game is run smoothly and without incident or scandal.

Please stand by.
Old 07-06-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have a late arrival on the red-carpet:

stp115

Somehow his entry didn't get added to my spreadsheet even though he sent it days ago.
Old 07-06-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems that no one is here! Are they all frantically hitting F5 in the TV sheep thread? Who knows! Who cares?!

I'm going to lunch. I'm also not starting this game until we get some more participation! I crave attention!
Old 07-06-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm here, just didn't want to interrupt your monologue
Old 07-06-09, 12:34 PM

It may be a bad idea to run this, TV sheep, and Sports sheep at the same time. You should PM The Bus and Tracer to work out a schedule.

Or, make us all cry by running these all at the same time.
Old 07-06-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need a damn Sheep sub-forum now.
Old 07-06-09, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here. Let's get it poppin'
Old 07-06-09, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
It may be a bad idea to run this, TV sheep, and Sports sheep at the same time. You should PM The Bus and Tracer to work out a schedule.

there's also a 'Bond' sheep going on too.
Old 07-06-09, 12:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

I've actually got 4 different computers set up just in case the big train decides to run James Bond Sheep now too.
Old 07-06-09, 12:46 PM

You aren't a true Sheep player unless you have your iPhone ready too. What if results come in and you're on the loo?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.