Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should one get an extended warranty on a HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should one get an extended warranty on a HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-00, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking into getting the Panasonic PT56WXF95 and was wondering if an extended warranty would be a good idea. I know most regular TV's are very reliable, I have a Mitsubishi from 1989 with no problems at all, but I'm not too sure about a rear projection HDTV. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Indy Jones Fan
Old 05-26-00, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See what else is included in the extended warranty. For example, if you buy an extended warranty for a rear projection set from Hi-Fi Buys it also includes a free calibration each year which alone usually costs several hundred dollars a pop. Apparently, having your set professionally calibrated really makes these sets shine...even more than simply using video essentials or avia by yourself. Also, it would probably be a good idea to have the warranty on a 16:9 set, as your set may very likely eventually suffer from burn in as a result of watching too much 4:3 material.

Bottom line...If the warranty covers everything and includes yearly calibrations I would say to spend the extra $250 or so.
Old 05-26-00, 07:10 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This probably depends on the warranty, but burn in may not qualify as a warranty repair. They may interpret it as falling under abuse or misuse of product.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 05-26-00, 07:22 PM

I just bought a Toshiba tn50x81 HD ready tv and there's no way I would have bought without the extended warranty. Big screens are very expensive to fix not to mention the shipping costs if they can't fix in home...