Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MOONRAKER: celebrate its 30th anniversary with me

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 11th EON James Bond film officially turns 30 tomorrow. The world premier was June 26, 1979 in London. The U.S. premiere was June 29, 1979.

Thirty years ago. Wow. I saw this on its opening day in the U.S. and I still remember it well. I was 13 at the time, and was now deemed eligible to see a PG-13 Bond film at the cinema. My previous 007 viewing experiences had all been on tv (the edited-for-tv versions, of course). Being able to see a Bond film in the theater was almost like a rite of passage into manhood. Well, not really but you get the idea: it was a big deal for this 13 year old boy. The show I went to was sold out. In the lobby where we waited, they passed out tri-folded color programs. The front was a replica of the movie poster. The rear had cast & crew info. Sadly, I no longer can find my copy although I know I had saved it.

There were two taglines for this one:

"Outer space now belongs to 007!"

and

"Where all other Bond's end, this one begins!"

Moonraker is arguably the boldest and most ambitious Bond film ever made. The filmmakers were given a huge budget for the time, and no expense was spared. The cinematography is top-notch, and we are treated to beautiful locales such as Venice, Rio, and the Amazon Jungle... and, of course, outer space . Production values for the film were top-notch, and its visually stunning presentation still holds up very well today on dvd.

The pre-credit sequence remains the very best of the entire series, in my humble opinion, surpassing even its excellent predecessor THE SPY WHO LOVE ME and its staggering cliff ski jump stunt. This time around, 007 is pushed out of an airplane without a parachute. The stuntwork here is nothing short of mind-blowing as 007 wrestles a bad guy in mid-air and steals his parachute, only to then be chased down himself in mid-air by none other than Jaws, the steel-toothed and nearly invulnerable assassin from TSWLM. Wow -- talk about starting off with a bang!

This was Roger Moore's 4th outing in the role, and by this time he had settled comfortably into it. He is really at his best here as 007, IMO. In his later films, he simply looks too old to be a believable field agent -- this problem is even heightened in the subsequent film, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, by the stupid Bibi hotel room scene where he literally looks like he could be her grandfather. But in MOONRAKER, he still looks the part. And he's as suave, cool, witty, and charming as ever.

The dialog in this film is among the wittiest of the series. There are some truly great lines. A few that come to mind off the top of my head:

Holly Goodhead: "Come now, Mr. Bond. An 80 year old can take 3 G's."
Bond: "That's the problem with 80 year olds. They're never around when you need one."

Bond: "Can you think of a reason we shouldn't have a drink afterwards?"
Holly Goodhead: "Not immediately, but I'm sure I shall."

Hugo Drax: "You must try it [pheasant hunting], Mr. Bond. It's such good sport."
Bond: "Unless you're a pheasant."

Hugo Drax: "You missed, Mr. Bond."
Bond: "Did I?" [dead henchman falls from tree]

Hugo Drax: "Why did you break off the encounter with my pet python?"
Bond: "I discovered he had a crush on me."

Holly Goodhead: "Do you know him?"
Bond: "Not socially. His name's Jaws. He kills people."

M: "What's Bond doing?"
Q: "I think he's attempting re-entry."

I could go on and on, but I won't. Suffice it to say that the dialog in this one is a real highlight of the series.

I realize not everyone is a fan of this entry in the 007 series. The film is bold and has attitude. It's not afraid to have a little fun with itself. I always get a smile when I hear the theme from THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN play as Bond rides horseback wearing a poncho and cowboy hat to the remote British Intelligence base after he escapes from being kidnapped along with Holly Goodhead by the fake ambulance team. The filmmakers are simply having a little bit of fun here, and for me it doesn't detract at all from the film.

MOONRAKER is also the last 007 film to feature a grandiose battle between the good guys and the bad guys set against an exotic backdrop. In GOLDFINGER, we have the battle inside the grounds of Fort Knox. In THUNDERBALL, we have the amazing undersea battle. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE gave us the spectacular battle inside a hollowed-out volcano (featuring modern day ninjas, no less!). ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE gave us a snow-topped mountain battle. And THE SPY WHO LOVED ME gave us the battle inside the villain's submarine-swallowing tanker ship. Well, MOONRAKER doesn't disappoint in this area: it treats us to a wonderful battle in outer space. John Barry's musical score for this sequence really does a great job of setting a somber tone. There is one scene where a combatant has his navigational gear shot up and is seen floating away helplessly towards the sun. What a horrible fate.

After MOONRAKER, the 007 films (in my opinion) lost a lot of their ambition & imagination and settled into being routine and rather ordinary adventures. The Bond films of the 1980's are all rather bland and uninspired, and in many ways MOONRAKER feels like the last "classic" 007 film for me.

So this coming Monday night (since I'm in the U.S.), I will be watching my Ultimate Edition DVD of this movie, and I invite all other fans to also celebrate its 30th anniversary by doing the same.
Old 06-25-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: MOONRAKER: celebrate its 30th anniversary with me

My wife and I were dating when this first came out. I was waiting to go into the Navy, and she was between her sophomore and junior year of college. This was also the year of Alien and Muppet Movie, which we also saw. Always had a soft spot for this. Jaws was the first henchman to return in a second Bond film, unless I am mistaken.
Old 06-25-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Sorry.. I'm too tired from celebrating the 25th anniversary of The Karate Kid and Ghostbusters.
Old 06-25-09, 04:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, you are one of the only people who loves this film with zero reservations. I assume you're aware most people regard it as the worst Bond film.

and its visually stunning presentation still holds up very well today on dvd.
I also assume you are aware the effects have all been recomposited and the original (very poor) effects discarded on the latest Blu-ray release.

But I'm blad you enjoy it. I think FYEO is far better, and probably the best Moore Bond.
Old 06-25-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Wow, you are one of the only people who loves this film with zero reservations. I assume you're aware most people regard it as the worst Bond film.
Worse than Octopussy? Wow.
Old 06-25-09, 06:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's watch the original TV broadcast on The ABC Sunday Night Movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVjo3jyDYu0
Old 06-25-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Although I can't share the OP'S enthusiam for Moonraker, I can relate to his first theatrical Bond experience. I was seven in 1965 and had discovered James Bond bubble gum cards at the drugstore that summer and began collecting them. I didn't fully grasp that the cards represented the first three films. I thought there was a single James Bond 007 movie and began checking the newspaper every week to see if it was playing(which led to many other cinematic discoveries). That fall the tv special THE INCREDIBLE WORLD OF JAMES BOND aired on ABC to promote the release of Thunderball. Featuring scenes from all four movies this further made me believe it was a single movie(I was only seven). Finally I looked in the paper one day, around Christmas as I remember, could be wrong, and there was the ad for Thunderball. My dad took me and it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Was confused though. Where were Odd Job? Dr. No? Goldfinger? and all the other stuff from my prized bubble gum cards? Finally figured it out and seeing the first three films became my goal in life. This was years before any of them were sold to television. Caught the Dr. No/Goldfinger re-release in '66. Went to YOLT when released summer of '67. Finally saw FRWL in a double feature re-release with Thunderball early in '68. Finally caught up I've never missed seeing the newest film in the theater and throughout the late 60s and early seventies went to the double feature re-issues right up to the point they stopped when ABC got the tv rights and Goldfinger premiered the ABC Sunday Night Movie in Sept. 72. Last double bill I remember was OHMSS/Diamonds Are Forever in early '73 with Live And Let Die teaser shown between the movies.

In the summer of 1965 we were on vacation and stopped at a Stucky's or Nickerson Farms, can't remember which, probably the one with the beehive. On the counter of the store part was a display box of Thunderball bubble gum cards. Oh man! These never showed up at any of our local stores. Still remember how bad I wanted and had to have them. Being seven years old sucks! Got one pack out of the pleading to my parents. They never did show up in any of the local places I bought comics and other crap.
Old 06-25-09, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moonraker, you are not alone. This was my second Bond film that I saw in the theatre and at 12, I saw no flaws in the film. Over the years, my opinion of it has changed a bit. Last year, when I bought the UE edition of the film, I took a more critical look at the film and though their is a good deal of humor, mainly due to the character Jaws, it is a very good film and the first 45 minutes (aside from Jaws in the credits) is a classic Bond film. Like you I thought the dialogue was good, so was the music. In looking at the documentary, I found an interview with Cubby Brocculi who mentioned that the return of the character Jaws was due to a lot of younger kids writing campaign asking for his return, so the character was originally not in the script.... Though I do agree Moonraker is a good film, isn't IMHO better than Octopussy ( Yes, Moore was looking a little tired by than.)
Old 06-25-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with a lot of your points, moonraker. I remember really liking this movie when I saw it in the theater back in 1979. I now rate it along with You Only Live Twice as having a preposterous plot but that is still a very entertaining movie if you can get past the far-fetched storyline. The spectacle of this one is pretty impressive (as all the Bonds directed by Lewis Gilbert are) and I think it also has some of Bond's best gadgets ever: the wrist dart gun, the watch with a small explosive in it, & especially that incredible boat that could drop mines and had a hang glider in it (that boat is the water equivalent of Bond's famous Aston Martin, IMO).

The main downside with the movie for me is the tongue-in-cheek humor, which I think is overdone (particularly with Jaws, who was so ominous in The Spy Who Loved Me but just too cartoonish here). Still, this movie is a fun ride.

I like your celebration idea and so I added it to my NetFlix queue.

Last edited by dhmac; 06-25-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never seen it (I've only seen a handful of them, never was a Bond fan), but if Big Lots still has it for $3, I'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a view.
Old 06-25-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm a year younger than the OP, and I too have very fond memories of seeing this film, and many others in that summer of 1979, at the theater.

Like all the Bond films when I was growing up, the AMC chain in my area got this one, and I saw it in what was probably the towns least impressive venue. It was on one of 8 very tiny screens with one center aisle (so no seats were ever in the 'sweet spot'), very uncomfortable chairs and a cement floor. But I had a blast with the movie, and still have a fond spot for it, despite its flaws being readily apparent now.

In fact, just a few weeks back I bought the soundtrack to this. I had bought the LP near the end of summer 30 years ago, and it was one of the rare non John Williams soundtracks that got heavy rotation on my turntable as a kid. Despite being very happy to get the Bd a few months back (so I would be able to celebrate this anniversary in style -something I won't be able to do with Alien), I think I'm just as thrilled to finally be able to listen to the score again.

Another fond memory I have associated with this movie is bumming $1 from Cindy Ryder, the very cute and remarkably buxom lass who sat next to me in 7th grade English. I used it to buy 4 packs of Moonraker bubblegum cards on the walk home from school.
I never forgot that because I was always amazed that such a cute, popular girl like that would not only talk to me but give me money if I asked...and also because I realized only later what a complete tool I was for investing more effort into scoring bubblegum cards than getting more ...uh...social with her.

I also used the Moonraker shuttle model kit as the centerpiece of a science project/display later that year.

yeah...a lot of pleasant memories with this one.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-25-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Moonraker it's the Star Wars of the Bond films it's ok but not great!

I watched it like 3 times (I love "For Your Eyes Only" for Moore Bond films).
Old 06-25-09, 10:06 PM

we should be celebrating the anniversary of:

Old 06-25-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PG-13 movies didn't exist in 1979. Moonraker was PG.
Old 06-25-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also assume you are aware the effects have all been recomposited and the original (very poor) effects discarded on the latest Blu-ray release.

But I'm blad you enjoy it. I think FYEO is far better, and probably the best Moore Bond.
2nd worst. I hated A View to a Kill.
Old 06-25-09, 10:59 PM
Banned

I think i may revisit this one for the Sci-fi challenge starting next week.
I remember it being one of the weakest Bond films but hey at least it is impressive and still wayyyyy better than Quantum of Solace.
Old 06-25-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of the ones I didn't buy at Big Lots today, but I'll be back there tomorrow to get it, I hope.
Old 06-26-09, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Some of my favorite quotes from the film-
Hugo Drax: Frederick Gray! What a surprise. And in distinguished company, all wearing gas masks. You must excuse me, gentlemen, not being English, I sometimes find your sense of humor rather difficult to follow.
Hugo Drax: You have arrived at a propitious moment, considered to be your country's one indisputable contribution to Western Civilization: Afternoon tea. May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?
Hugo Drax: James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.
all delivered with Lonsdales wonderfully deadpan style.
The film can be justifiably criticized for many things, but I think Lonsdales Drax is criminally underrated in the pantheon of Bond Villains. Next to Davi's charismatic Sanchez, Drax is easily my favorite.
Old 06-26-09, 07:58 AM

I have fine memory of my parents took me to theater watching Moonraker.

Even to this day, I still think the opening "free fall" stunt is the coolest thing I have ever seem on screen.

Last edited by tsetse27; 06-26-09 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as "View to a Kill" exists, "Moonraker" can never be the worst Bond.
Old 06-26-09, 03:13 PM
En vacance

Moonraker is pure rollercoaster escapism. Moore is in stratospheric form. There are so many best-of moments from his era like the skydiving opening, Hugo Drax "look after Mr. Bond, see that some harm comes to him", the museum fight, Jaws re-match, or boat chase with the 007 theme playing or the MI6 headquartes and Q Lab disguised as a monk mission are the stuff of legends!

Last edited by FRwL; 07-06-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As soon as DAD is obliterated from our memory. At least that is my choice (and the hands-down lowest of the low over at the MI-6 forum).

While my favorite Bond film is FRWL, I don't mind enjoying the other side of the spectrum, even if it's not my cup of tea. Moonraker has a terrific Bassey title song, fantastic babes and enjoyed its over-the-top story. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-27-09, 02:50 AM

One of my favorite Bond films! I remember watching it at the Kam drive-in, it was a double-feature, Moonraker and Starcrash! Wonderful times, recently watch it on blu-ray still a joy to watch, plus you had all of those exotic locations which James Bond was famous for going to. Wow 30 years.
Old 06-27-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Because of this thread I watched it again last night. First time in at least 12 years. Since dvd came along anyway. Nowhere near as bad as I remembered it. The last of the classic mold films. Bernard Lee was looking very old and tired. The score is first rate. This must have cost a fortune to produce so I can forgive the product placement. This had everything including the kitchen sink. Noticed in end credits a second, french production company was involved. Probably to help finance this over the top, no holds barred cinematic extravaganza. I throughly enjoyed it. I admit it. There are the humourous incidents that set off my "cringe-o-meter". The bird doing a double take
The Jaws scenes were ok until that last comic touch(flapping of arms, the piece of classical music when meeting the "Heidi" girl, ripping off boat's steering wheel). I can believe he was thrown in for the kids. He never kills anybody. He turns good in the end. They make sure to point out he survived with the line about two survivors being picked up. If this was to leave open a possible third appearance I'm glad it never happened. Suprised they didn't give the character a saturday morning cartoon show as a hero.
Overall it's a decent entry with a few cringes scattered throughout. Way better than Octopussy, View To A Kill or Die Another Day.
Noticed in the trailer they used music from the Diamonds Are Forever score(moon buggy chase I believe). Score probably wasn't finished yet.
Old 06-27-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had this in my backlog pile for awhile, decided to throw it on last night. I've actually never seen it all the way through, and was expecting it to be beyond awful. I must say, it was pretty ridiculous, but I loved it! Was just a fun ride...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.