Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

a-ha- Foot of the Mountain (latest album)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard this? I'm kind of indifferent to what this band has been doing over the past decade. This is their latest album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_of_the_Mountain

They came out with two brilliant albums in the 90s (East of the Sun, West of the Moon and Memorial Beach) and split up in 1994, returning in 2000 fully. It just hasn't ever seemed the same though since then. They had a nicer hard rock style going on with a unique guitar sound, more energy, better (more focused) vocals etc. etc (livewise and on record I think) I'm sure some of their 80s stuff is dated now but there's many great songs with good lyrics that top anything on this album easily.
Old 06-25-09, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: a-ha- Foot of the Mountain (latest album)

according to that Wiki article the album will street in the UK on July 6th

hooray! I loved this last past two albums, so I hope it's a continuation of that sound.
Old 06-25-09, 02:41 PM

I have it! it's been out in Germany for a couple weeks and comes out in the UK in a few more weeks (of course no US release in sight - they haven't released anything over here since Memorial Beach way back in 1994 or so)...

I think it's amazing and so much better than their last one "Analogue"... that one suffered from the band not being on the best of terms and were actually never in the studio at the same time as the other members... the one before that was "Lifelines" which was pretty good... but of course their best in since their reunion in 2001 was "Minor Earth Major Sky" which was great when it came out & still holds up very well!
Old 06-25-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bearkiss

I think it's amazing and so much better than their last one "Analogue"... that one suffered from the band not being on the best of terms and were actually never in the studio at the same time as the other members... the one before that was "Lifelines" which was pretty good... but of course their best in since their reunion in 2001 was "Minor Earth Major Sky" which was great when it came out & still holds up very well!
I agree that Minor Earth was the best thing they have done since their reunion. Lifelines and Analogue were letdowns for me. This new one is OK but nothing out of the norm that I was expecting. They're never going to match an album like Scoundrel Days which is my favorite by them. Even though that has a few duds, the good songs are amazing and more than make up for it.
Old 06-25-09, 06:07 PM
Banned

I thought the lead singer was dead.
Old 06-25-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I thought the lead singer was dead.
Morten Harket is in very good health from what I know, guess it goes to show how much they're even mentioned anymore (especially in the US)
Old 06-25-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to getting this one. I've been a fan since Hunting High and Low.
Old 06-25-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Minor Earth Major Sky was one of the great pop albums of the turn of the millenium.

I was not a big fan of the last album or Lifelines but I will give this a chance. It looks like it was released a week ago in Europe.
Old 06-26-09, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Minor Earth Major Sky was one of the great pop albums of the turn of the millenium.

I was not a big fan of the last album or "Lifelines" but I will give this a chance. It looks like it was released a week ago in Europe.
yes, yes it was
Old 06-26-09, 12:47 PM

For the last album they seem to ready to embrace their 80s legacy. Much more synth-based than their last album.
In my opinion the album is good, but not great. Which pretty much can be said of most of their albums
Seems like the germans liked it, as it entered the album-chart at #1

Title-song video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbG69SAZUKw
Old 06-26-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they ever do any album signings over there? I've always wanted their autographs, and never got any response via mail?
Old 06-26-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
they ever do any album signings over there? I've always wanted their autographs, and never got any response via mail?
I've looked to get Paul's because he lives in NYC in Soho. I've never run across him though. I'm not sure about the others.
Old 06-26-09, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
Well, they did one in Oslo.
And they were planning an event (not sure if they were going to do album-signings) in London in july, but it got cancelled.
Check a-ha.com
Old 08-14-09, 02:03 PM

I've only made it to track four: 'Foot of the Mountain' - what a grandiose song - wow... wow! Morten's voice just soars - stunning!