Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

s-video newbie question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

s-video newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-00, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that if I use s-video cables, I will get a better picture quality on my TV. So, I looked up monster cable on amazon and came up with many results and I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions? I have a sony 36xbr250 and toshiba sd3109.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-00, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are three ways to connect your DVD player:

1)Component Video - the best but you have to have component video inputs and outputs on you're TV and DVD player respectively.

2)S-Video - the second best.

3)Composite video - third best.

There is only one type of S-Video cable but there are many brands of which Monster Cable is probably the best. They may also come at different levels of quality within a brand. I am not sure but I believe the shorter the cable the better the results as the longer it gets the more of the signal you lose. Some people say that the difference between component and S-Video is insignificant especially on a mid to low end set up. However there is a big jump from composite to S-Video. I don't remember the technical differences between the three types of connections though.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited May 22, 2000).]
Old 05-23-00, 12:14 AM

I have gotten all my monster cable from http://www.thevideodoctor.com/

They have the cheapest price for monster cable that I have found.

Since we are on the subject of S-Video does anyone now if they sell a "Y" S-Video cable? I would like to connect my DVD and Satellite box using S-Video to my TV. I think, I've seen some type of switch box that probably does what I'm looking for, but I forgot where I saw it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about

------------------
Anything's legal as long as you don't get caught Got DVD!
Old 05-23-00, 12:58 AM
Cool New Member

CyberZombie,
Yes, you can buy an S-video switcher. I bought mine (Terk) from 800.com. Sony also makes one, which I think is available at Best Buy.
Old 05-24-00, 05:46 AM
Cool New Member

moviechick,
I wouldn't worry about the brand too much. Any differences in medium to high quality cables will be minimal at best. If you want to spend more for the Monster name, feel free to do so. As long as the cable isn't some cheap,bulk packaged, made in taiwan crap, you should be alright. You will still notice the improved picture and color that s-video provides over composite video. By the way, if you want Monster Cable technology without the Monster Cable price, RCA sells s-video cables that were manufactured by Monster Cable. The package says RCA s-video and elsewhere on the package it has the Monster Cable logo. I've seen them at Wal-Mart as well as other b&m's.
Old 05-24-00, 11:49 PM

I checked out the videodoctor but the shipping charge is way too high. I'm looking for the 1 Meter Monster Super Video 3 S-Video Cable .....anyone knows where I can get this at a cheap price?

BTW, is there much difference between Video 2 and Video 3?

[This message has been edited by moviechick (edited May 24, 2000).]
Old 05-25-00, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>BTW, is there much difference between Video 2 and Video 3?<HR>

Probably nothing that you'd notice. FYI I use the Monster 2 2m composite for my laserdisc->SD582 video connection, and it works well.

RD
Old 05-25-00, 06:46 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're in a hurry to get started, you could just go to Radio Shack and pick up an S video cable.

Then find a place with reasonable prices and a good return policy and try the Monster cables out compared to the RS cable.

I have no problems with my picture on a 50" RPTV. But then I'm not as picky as some either.

And, as with all advice you get on the net; your mileage may vary.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]