Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Aiwa XDDV300 DVD Player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Aiwa XDDV300 DVD Player?

Old 05-03-00, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have one? I tried looking on Aiwa's page but it isn't listed, so I'm guessing its last years model. Amazon has it listed for $190 shipped.

Anyone know anything about it when it comes to video/sounds quality? Disc compatibility? Any known issues? etc

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002Z76H/ref=/102-0809518-9878458

Thanks guys!
Joe

btw: I'm only interested in models available at Amazon because I have a bunch of Gift Certificates to use. I'd like to stay in the $200 range.

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-21-00, 02:33 PM
ripthorne

I'm getting mines on Monday!
Just ordered one at $175, then it sold out.
The reviews for it has been good so far.

This player has everything I want:
Headphone jack,
Component video, S-Video,
Zoom

I don't really care for cdr and video cd capabilities.

I'll tell you what I think when I get it.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 05-22-00, 07:37 AM

Ok I appreciate it!

Let me know if it has any compatibility problem or anything with certain movies.

Thanks
Old 05-23-00, 01:39 AM

Didja get it yet? I'd itching to order one, but I wanted to hear your impressions of it first!
Old 05-23-00, 08:30 AM
ripthorne

I MISSED the UPS guy!!!
I cant believe it!

I have to WAIT til TOMMOROW
well I hope my Sleepy Hollow comes in tommrow too, since it didnt come in today.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
Old 05-24-00, 03:23 AM
ripthorne

I got my third dvd player today!
I'm surprised the player came in a big and heavy (12-13 lbs) box since the price of it was relatively cheap. The player looks nice on the Amazon webpage but when you get it, it looks like an oversized VHS player, but the black/metallic silver design is cool.

The menus are plain, but that's ok.
You can choose different menu background colors.
The player itself has all the buttons you need to operate it in case you can't find or don't want to use the remote.

The remote -- it's pretty bad. Buttons are small - you need to use your pinky or have pinky sized fingers to press them, and you have to PRESS them HARD or else you will have to keep pressing til it registers. The buttons are really sort of organized, you just have to get used to them.

So far it has played all of my DVDs perfectly, I couldn't test The Matrix because someone is borrowing it.
It plays the menus of DVDs that weren't working on my previous player.
It is about 10% slower than my last player, but it makes no noise!
The player is pretty silent, you can't hear anything moving inside unless you put your ears to it.
If you turn the power off, it goes on stand-by mode, I don't know how to turn it completely off unless you unplug it.

am i using the word "it" too much?

This DVD player has:
* Component output
* S-Video output
* Digital output
* VCD playback (CDR - I dont know, probably not)
* 4x Zoom (use the arrows to move around)(too bad dvd players dont let you zoom in at 2x, 3x, blah blah blah, it's always 4x only)
* Headphone jack (the bigger one, so buy an adapter if you are going to use it)
* Comes with regular composite cables, batteries.

All in all, I would recomend this player. I was going to get the Toshiba 1200. They are almost exactly the same. The only differences are:

* The Toshiba has no headphone jack, but it does have a coaxial audio ouput. I don't think that justifies the $75 price difference.

* Toshiba is a "better" brand or has been around longer. Don't let that get to you, Aiwa is ok.

That's about it.
Pretty good for $175 (50% off), but it keeps switching from available to not in stock at Amazon, so try checking there every day. Shipping is pretty expensive - $13.28!!! Although Amazon says it weighs 17 pounds, the player says it only weighs 12 lbs. I don't think the box is over 5 lbs.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
Old 05-24-00, 05:23 AM

The editors from amazon.com said something about the AIWA unit having subpar low range for bass. Have you found this? I also am teetering between the SD-1200 and the AIWA. Any comments on the audio range would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-00, 05:48 AM
ripthorne

I dont notice any sound difference because I only have a stereo connection at the moment.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
Old 05-24-00, 09:17 AM

Well, I luckily had it added to my shopping cart before it changed to "Not in stock". I placed the order yesterday and its still hasn't been cancelled, just says "1 out of stock" so I guess I have a shot at it!

They charged you $13.28 shipping to Hawaii? I got charged $18.32 here to Alaska using Standard Shipping (USPS), that sucks!

I can live with a few minor problems for $75 less than a Toshiba SD1200 and $125 less than the SD3109.

Joe

Edit: One question for ya, does it downsample Anamorphic movies well? My dvd decoder card downsamples anamorphic movies by cutting out 1 line from every 4, which results in a jagged diagonal line which is quite annoying!

Does that make sense?

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited May 24, 2000).]
Old 05-24-00, 09:49 AM
ripthorne

the picture looks the same to me.
all i have is a 27 inch TV.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
Old 05-25-00, 02:43 AM
ripthorne

List of dvds it cant play so far:

* Tomorrow Never Dies

DVDs that work (or those hard to play DVDs

* The Matrix

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.

[This message has been edited by ripthorne (edited May 25, 2000).]
Old 05-25-00, 06:44 AM

Doh, already a movie it won't play. I'm starting to sweat.

How many movie have you tried so far?