Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help w/ JVC and DTS

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help w/ JVC and DTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-00, 02:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a JVC DVD player(xv-501) and I just recently purchased a JVC receiver(rx-6500v). Both are equipped with DTS sound. I have made all the proper adjustments indicated and even connected the DVD player to the receiver with an optical cable and changed the settings accordingly to reflect a cd-dvd-dbs configuration. I can get sound but when I play a DTS disc (or a 5.1 digital disc) I can't select digital or DTS and actually hear sound. The only time I hear sound is when the receiver is set to linear/pcm. I have tried playing a DTS disc (Sheryl Crow) with DTS selected as sound and the DVD player reads 6 channels but the receiver generates no sound. What am I doing wrong?

Somebody, anybody, their friends - PLEASE HELP!

Also, don't bash me if it's something really simple.

Give me the lowdown on everything you know.

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-23-00, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Racer X:
I have a JVC DVD player(xv-501) and I just recently purchased a JVC receiver(rx-6500v). Both are equipped with DTS sound. I have made all the proper adjustments indicated and even connected the DVD player to the receiver with an optical cable and changed the settings accordingly to reflect a cd-dvd-dbs configuration. I can get sound but when I play a DTS disc (or a 5.1 digital disc) I can't select digital or DTS and actually hear sound. The only time I hear sound is when the receiver is set to linear/pcm. I have tried playing a DTS disc (Sheryl Crow) with DTS selected as sound and the DVD player reads 6 channels but the receiver generates no sound. What am I doing wrong?

Somebody, anybody, their friends - PLEASE HELP!

Also, don't bash me if it's something really simple.

Give me the lowdown on everything you know.

Thanks in advance...
<HR>

I went through the same thing with my 3-tray JVC DVD player and my Denon receiver. I'm almost positive that your problem is with your DVD player. You need to go into the menu and click on the sound options. Once there, you will choose the option "Stream/PCM" or something along those lines (I can't remember exactly). JVC has one option that only lets your DVD player pass the DD bitstream and obviously that's not what you want.
Old 05-23-00, 07:58 AM

I'm having the same problem with my jvc-888 reciever, it plays DD fine but when I put DTS in it doesn't play. I called their support and they told me I had to have all speakers plugged in? why? it works fine for DD why not DTS?
Old 05-23-00, 12:14 PM

Xytraguptorh is right, my JVC had the same issue. You need to select the correct sound option in the setup menu or no DTS signal will play. When you set it for DTS, DD 5.1 will also work fine with this setting.
Old 05-25-00, 03:03 AM
Cool New Member

It worked perfectly, you have no idea how overjoyed I am to have worked a 16 hour day to come home to DTS!

You guys proved why DVD talk is the greatest!

Thank you again and I can only hope to repay the favor to you again! If not me, I'm sure Santa will remember.

------------------
"The Internet!? Is that thing still around" -Homer Simpson