Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

i need to choose a Panasonic DVd player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

i need to choose a Panasonic DVd player

Old 05-22-00, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to consult your help again gang.
I'm returning my Toshiba6109C for an exchange and is told that i can choose ANY panasonic model(except progressive scan) i want. I'm looking for something comparable to the Toshiba6109C(built in DTS/DD decoder) since my room is already all wired.
The only one i really see is the Panasonic A320. Is that model any good? what do you guys think? is there a better model i can get. I can also choose from Sharp but i think Panasonic is better than Sharp right?
Old 05-22-00, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

If I am correct in remembering the model #'s, the Toshiba 6109C has a built in amplifier section. None of the stand-alone Panasonic DVD players have built in amplifier sections. If you just need a player with built in DD/DTS decoding, the A-320 is your best bet although I believe that the 6109 is more expensive (not an even trade). A player in the comparable price range would be the Panasonic K-520 where the extra cost goes to its Karaoke feature. It may or may not be a feature you care for. I don't know if the store you are dealing with has this or not but Panasonic now has a DVD theater package which includes a DVD player with a built in amplifier section and a full set of speakers for 5.1 sound. I know for sure that it is Dolby Digital but I am not sure if it is DTS. It retails for approx. $800. The 6109 retails for approx. $699 or so. I hope this helps. Not many players will fill the shoes of the 6109 in one unit. (I also think that Philips makes a combo DVD player and receiver)
Do you think they would give you a Panasonic A-115/120 DVD player (DD/DTS output) *plus* a lower priced DD/DTS receiver? (Technics/Kenwwod/Sony etc.) Just a thought.
Old 05-22-00, 09:04 PM
AW

The A320 is a good machine, but not comparable to the 6109C in terms of features. The 6109C also has a built in receiver, so, you will need a Dolby Digital receiver. While not exactly the same as the 6109C, you might want to check out the following:
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...CategoryID=297

Good luck.
Old 05-24-00, 02:58 PM

sharky- i had nothing but problems with my panasonic. pixelations, freezes, distortion, overheating, on and on and on. panasonic customer service is a joke too from what i hear. i would be wary...

i found audioreview.com a helpful source of feedback...