DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba SD1200

Old 05-22-00, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes this player so great? I have a Sharp 650u player with the built in dolby digital decoder and I paid less. I'm thinking of getting this player for my bedroom, but tell me why I should as opposed to a Philips or Sony model at a similar price.
Old 05-22-00, 11:41 AM
Cool New Member

I just bought this player on Saturday, as a replacement for a two year old Panasonic A310, so I don't have lot of experience with it, but I can give you my initial impressions:
1. component video out, dts out
2. quiet in operation
3. good video quality, same as Pana 310
4. good sound quality
5. sound on CD audio seems harsher, "brighter" than Pana 310, not a problem for me since I don't listen to audio CD's with this player
5. has no trouble playing any of the many DVDs that the Pana 310 had problems with (Criterion Armageddon, Rushmore, Carnival of Souls, Robocop, TWINE, Matrix, etc etc etc.

Similar cost Sonys supposed to be noisy in operation, have a lip sync problem. Watch out.
Old 05-22-00, 11:54 AM
Cool New Member

Also:

6. cheesy remote, with many tiny buttons crammed in together. Seems to bother a lot of people from what I read. I can live with it...
7. Very light weight unit. When I picked up the box, I seriously thought it might be empty! Don't know that this means anything, but if you want something solid feeling for your money, this isn't it. Buy a pet rock, I guess... Some people have commented that the drawer mechanism seems light and flimsy. That seems right but I don't know what significance that has...

All in all, I am pleased with it. The price is right, it plays movies, and I don't expect to have to worry about whether it play every new disk I put in. Got FED UP with Pana 310, that's for sure!!
Old 05-22-00, 07:49 PM
BEC

The Phillips 825 has inferior picture quality, at least that's what etown.com found when they reviewed it: 430 TV line resolution and some cross-color artifacts, leads to a softer, fuzy picture. It does play CD-R and is upgradable.

The sony 330 does have quite few reports of lip-synching. Performance-wise, it's comparable to (or better than) the 1200. The 550 has component video.

The Pioneer 525 is another entry level player worth consider. It's not a feature laden (scans not as smoooth, no zoom, no surround sound), but the picture quality and reliability are first rate. Plus it plays
CD-R.

As far as decoders go, it's one of those features (like surround sound or midnight mode )that depends your receiver's abilities.
W/a good receiver, these DVD features may be moot. Perhaps, these DVD features will let you save a few $$, by letting you get a more bare bones receiver. But it seems to be a growing trend that even cheap receivers have decoders, surround modes, and dynamic compression.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 22, 2000).]