Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there ever be a new edition of Fierce Creatures?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-12-09, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the film is making the rounds on HBO as of late and revisiting the film reminded me just how funny the film was. Sure, it's still not quite up there to the level of A Fish Called Wanda, but it's just crazy emough to make you laugh the whole way through. I would buy the DVD if only

A. It was findable
and
B. It was in OAR

And wouldn't you know it, it's neither. The only way to get it right now is as a letterboxed digital copy for the iPod from the iTunes store (which I bowed down and bought, BTW). I know the film was never a success at the box office, but it needs a decent home video release on either DVD or Blu-Ray. In fact, I would love for it to be a special edition. I could see Universal putting some terrific stuff on it, like the film's original finale (which was scrapped and reshot after audiences hated it), a John Cleese commentary, the film's trailers and TV Spots, and maybe even a commentary with the directors of the film, detailing some of the film's troubled production history.

Anyone else waiting for a decent edition of this film? Even a bare-bones affair with just the trailer would be fine. It just needs to be in widescreen and 5.1 sound. Anyone else interested?
Old 06-12-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Will there ever be a new edition of Fierce Creatures?

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
So the film is making the rounds on HBO as of late and revisiting the film reminded me just how funny the film was. Sure, it's still not quite up there to the level of A Fish Called Wanda, but it's just crazy emough to make you laugh the whole way through. I would buy the DVD if only

A. It was findable
and
B. It was in OAR

And wouldn't you know it, it's neither. The only way to get it right now is as a letterboxed digital copy for the iPod from the iTunes store (which I bowed down and bought, BTW). I know the film was never a success at the box office, but it needs a decent home video release on either DVD or Blu-Ray. In fact, I would love for it to be a special edition. I could see Universal putting some terrific stuff on it, like the film's original finale (which was scrapped and reshot after audiences hated it), a John Cleese commentary, the film's trailers and TV Spots, and maybe even a commentary with the directors of the film, detailing some of the film's troubled production history.

Anyone else waiting for a decent edition of this film? Even a bare-bones affair with just the trailer would be fine. It just needs to be in widescreen and 5.1 sound. Anyone else interested?
I made a thread about how Universal remastered several of its titles for Franchise Collections. Unfortunately, I don't think Cleese has made enough movies for Universal for Fierce Creatures to be a likely candidate, and regardless, the push to make double, triple, and quadruple feature sets seems to have calmed way down in the meantime. But this seems to be the route to hope for: It resulted in several films, including Twins and Kindergarten Cop, Leave it to Beaver, Beethoven, Sudden Death and more finally arriving in WS.

Personally, I'd like to see Fierce Creatures and Death Becomes Her (I Wanna Hold Your Hand/1941/Death Becomes Her?) appear in one of these sets but as I said, I don't know how likely that is to happen.