Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP SETTING UP SYSTEM

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NEED HELP SETTING UP SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-00, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is my first time setting up a system. Also this is the way they are connected right now. OK now i can get a picture from my dvd player but i get no sound.

DVD PLAYER SET UP
The s-video cable runs directly from the dvd player to the tv. the digital audio cable (for sound) runs from dvd to reciever.

CABLE BOX SET UP AND VCR

Coaxel cable from the wall to the input of the box. then the out runs to the vcr input. then the vcr output runs from vcr to the tv.

SPEAKER SET UP
i am only running 3 speakers. the center and right and left. they are plugged in pos and negative just like they should be.

OK WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

------------------
MY DVD'S I like em a lot (@) hot safe sex click here

GO LAKERS

Old 05-22-00, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
now the sound is only coming out the center speaker is this normal for regular tv veiwing.

also the connection for the sub looks like it is only 1 plug. on my sub their are 12 connections for wires, and 2 for rca plugs. how am i going to plug in the sub.

------------------

GO LAKERS

[This message has been edited by damn_skippy (edited May 22, 2000).]
Old 05-22-00, 11:14 AM
Suspended

In your description of how you set up your DVD, you say that you have connected a digital audio cable? By this do you meen a coax or fiber cable? Anyhow if this is what you mean, do you not also have to connect the right and left outs from the DVD player to the receiver also?

On my setup, I have SVHS out, Digital out, and Right and Left out. Works fine.
Old 05-22-00, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your DVD player setup sounds right.... You ONLY need the optical cable from you DVD to your receiver for sound. You should not use the (left/right) rca outputs. If you do use these output then you are not watching your movies in 5.1 dolby Digital.
If the sound is not coming out right it is most likely a setting on you receiver or DVD player that is not right.

Cable/VCr setup sounds good. However depending on the type of TV you have there is a better way... Let me know and I can help you further. Does your TV have multiple Video inputs????

If your TV has RCA audio out.... you can hook these up to another Audio(Video) input on your receiver. This will provide you with the sound from your cable/VCR setup.

Mike
Old 05-22-00, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is the back of my tv.

1 coax input
1 s-video input
5 rca plugs (2 audio inputs, 2 audio outputs,1 video input)

I have the rca cables in the back of the tv. 1 in the video input, red in the audio output, white in the audio output. This is being run into the reciever in the video output. and the audio inputs.

If you have a better way let me know about it
thanks matt

------------------

GO LAKERS

Old 05-22-00, 01:36 PM

All of this is assuming you have a Video input select on your TV.......
You take the cable from the wall and you use a splitter. Take 1 output(from the splitter) and put into your cable box and take the other and put it into the coax input of your TV.
Now from the cable box output you go into the input of the VCR and then you use the RCA outputs(all 3 of them) to go into the back of you TV.
This will alow you to watch one channel and record whatever channel is on your cable box.
By putting the coax into the back of your TV you will be using the tuner on your TV for changing channels. The only drawback is that you will not get any premium channels on your tuner. That's why you have to use the cable box for those channels. But you will get all of the basic channels.

Then you take the 2 audio outputs and put them into your receiver. This will allow you to listen to whatever is displayed on your TV. (except for DVD!)for that you have to change a setting on your receiver...

I hope that helps.............

Is your TV working yet??????

Mike
Old 05-22-00, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yea it all works i guess i just couldn't hear the r/l speakers but i unpluged the center and heard that they were on. thanks for the help. and on my sub i think i will have to get a y cable. no plug is highlighted.

------------------
<center>MY DVD'S I like em a lot (@) hot safe sex click here</center><center>
<font size = +10 color = yellow> GO LAKERS </font size = +10 color + yellow>
Old 05-22-00, 02:25 PM

If you can't hear the r/l speakers you should turn the volume down on the center channel.... this will allow you to turn the main volume control knob up so you can hear the r/l. Don't turn the center volume too far down, because the r/l will drown out the voices coming from the center.....

You gotta get those rear speakers.....

Mike
Old 05-22-00, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have rear speakers. i just need to buy some shelves to make the wife happy.(so it looks pretty )

------------------

GO LAKERS