Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How can I get a replacement disc for a dvd set?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the complete Dr. Quinn set for my parents for Christmas during last November's DeepDiscount sale. They've been watching it all year, and just this weekend, my dad tells me that the set is missing disc 28. I've contacted DeepDiscount, and they said that there is absolutely nothing that they will do after 30 days. I also contacted the company that makes the set (A&E), and they said the same thing. I then asked them if I could buy the disc that they neglected to include in the set, and they said no.

I realize that I could probably just buy another set and return this one, but that feels unethical to me, and I'd be nervous that once I open a set, I'd never get my money back anyway and be stuck with two sets. Is there another way to get the disc?
Old 06-04-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: How can I get a replacement disc for a dvd set?

Originally Posted by dnstapes
I bought the complete Dr. Quinn set for my parents for Christmas during last November's DeepDiscount sale. They've been watching it all year, and just this weekend, my dad tells me that the set is missing disc 28. I've contacted DeepDiscount, and they said that there is absolutely nothing that they will do after 30 days. I also contacted the company that makes the set (A&E), and they said the same thing. I then asked them if I could buy the disc that they neglected to include in the set, and they said no.

I realize that I could probably just buy another set and return this one, but that feels unethical to me, and I'd be nervous that once I open a set, I'd never get my money back anyway and be stuck with two sets. Is there another way to get the disc?
This is a tricky situation. Keep in mind that most defective dvds returned to
retailers ultimately get returned to the distributor for credit. At this point the only thing you could do is buy another set and return the defective set on the new receipt. The thing is that most places wont take back an open dvd set and give you money back, so you are probably gonna have to settle for credit. They most likely will want to exchange the set for the same thing. Perhaps if you buy the last one at a store, they will agree to give you credit. Or you could buy it from amazon.
Old 06-04-09, 06:39 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

If you only need to buy one season to replace disc 28. Buy it from a store and return one that is defective replace defective one and sell extra one on ebay.
Old 06-04-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I would suggest continuing to follow up with A&E. Perhaps a 2nd call would yield a different result. I had a similar experience where I had 2 of the same discs within a set, but missing one. I called several times and I was always transferred around and ended up with someone's voicemail. Finally wrote a letter, and within a week I had a brand new copy of the entire set at my doorstep.