Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official 'Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time' Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Official 'Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time' Thread

Well, for six or seven years, I've started the annual thread about whatever the next game in the series is (except last year's Quest For Booty DLC, where the thread was started by someone else). I guess I should start this one as well. I'll include previews and such, starting with this E3. I'll admit even I am getting a little burned out on the sameness of the gameplay; addictive and fun as it is.

Here's the IGN preview:
E3 2009: Hands-on with Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Your favorite weapon-wielding fuzzball returns.
by Ryan Clements
June 3, 2009 - I'll cut straight to the chase: I was a huge fan of Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, so I was more than pumped to get my hands on the next Ratchet game coming from the renowned Insomniac Studios. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time puts you back into the metallic boots of Ratchet, the Lombax hero with a knack for fantastic weapons. Here at E3 in Los Angeles, I had the pleasure of playing through some Crack in Time and testing out some of the new gadgets Ratchet would use in his upcoming adventure. Let's just say that I'm ready to play more.

The story takes place after Clank was abducted by the Zoni at the end of Tools of Destruction. Although you'll play as Clank throughout the game, most of A Crack in Time will feature Ratchet and Clank as separate characters, as opposed to having Clank strapped to Ratchet's back as has been the case in the past.

During my demo yesterday, I was only allowed to play as Ratchet (I should be able to see Clank in action later today), but it's hard to complain when he has so many awesome weapons at his disposal. And what better enemies to test those weapons on than the savage Agorians on planet Lumos.

A Crack in Time plays very much like Tools of Destruction and gameplay elements from the downloadable Quest for Booty are also integrated into the experience. A Crack in Time is still the classic mix of platforming and shooting that fans of the series have come to love and I really appreciate how you can shoot while free running, strafing or in a locked first-person perspective. This flexibility makes A Crack in Time a very smooth game to play and the platforming elements only accentuate the fun.

Ratchet has a pair of hover boots now, which he can use to supplement his double jump or to scoot about the environment quickly. But the real pleasure comes from using the various weapons that Insomniac is known for. The first new item on display was the Sonic Eruptor, which is actually a gun handle with a small alien frog creature attached. A meter is displayed at the top of the screen and the meter continuously fills and empties in a rhythmic fashion. If you pull the trigger when the meter is full, the creature will belt out a mating call that sounds an awful lot like an epic belch. The more accurate your timing, the more powerful the blast. Wicked.

The next weapon for my viewing pleasure was the CryoMine, which (as one might imagine) is a small explosive that freezes enemies in place. But perhaps more vicious is the Plasma Striker, which is a high-powered weapon that reveals enemies weak points. If you nail a weak point with a direct shot, you get an instant kill.

Most of my demo with A Crack in Time was very enjoyable and I also got to see Alister in action. Alister is a fellow Lombax (Gasp!) that uses a double-sided energy wrench to fantastic effect. Alister will work alongside Ratchet to stop the villainous forces at work in the galaxy. He sounds like a swell guy. Perhaps we'll play as him in some bonus levels?

All in all, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time plays well. I was a little disappointed with the visuals (I feel like it didn't look quite as nice as when Tools of Destruction was first released), but as the demo build is only at 85 percent completion, I'll happily wait for more

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Videos:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_iRPmraIBc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_iRPmraIBc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2vx9ulX8Js&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2vx9ulX8Js&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Decker; 06-03-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official 'Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time' Thread

[Lost] Can't wait! [/Lost]
Old 06-03-09, 06:13 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
(except last year's Quest For Booty DLC, where the thread was started by someone else).
That was me.

I'll be pre-ordering this one. R&C is one of those games where I'll drop everything and play-through start to finish as soon as it arrives.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 06-03-09 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I really hope the game lets you eventually play with Clank. Quest for Booty just didn't feel right without him.
Old 06-03-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I really hope the game lets you eventually play with Clank. Quest for Booty just didn't feel right without him.
Yeah, the entire game I was hitting the double-jump, but no hover. I can't count how many times I forgot I didn't have clank, and fell to my death expecting to hover oh-so-gently to the other side of a gap.
Old 06-03-09, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Yeah, the entire game I was hitting the double-jump, but no hover. I can't count how many times I forgot I didn't have clank, and fell to my death expecting to hover oh-so-gently to the other side of a gap.
Ding-Ding-Ding. I had the same problem. I'm so used to my little buddy, the game sorta sucked without him.

This will be R&C's "Search For Spock" -- he'll be absent for a large chunk, but you know you'll HAVE to meet up with him eventually.
Old 06-03-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 06-04-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The gameplay videos didn't really show me much that was different from what I played in Future/QFB. I've enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank games, and I like the characters and story, but I would really like to see them deviate a little more from the formula.
Old 06-04-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I am seriously hoping for some newness this time around. It's a quality series, but playing through R&CF was just painfully familiar.
Old 06-04-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Looks like the same game I played two years ago... but that's okay. I loved Future. It was my first R&C game so the franchise hasn't worn out its welcome with me yet.

With that on the table, I hated Clank when I played Future. I was glad I didn't have to deal with him in Quest for Booty. I certainly wouldn't be upset if you don't save him until the end of this game.
Old 06-04-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Future. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm going to have to download QFB before then.
Old 06-04-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just played through Tools of Destruction for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and am now going through it a second time. What a great game. I don't think I'll get Quest for Booty based on the reviews, but will definitely get Crack in Time.
Old 06-04-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Although you'll play as Clank throughout the game, most of A Crack in Time will feature Ratchet and Clank as separate characters, as opposed to having Clank strapped to Ratchet's back as has been the case in the past.
Booo!!!

The sections in the previous games where you had to play them separately were the weakest sections of those games, and also why Quest for Booty was such a disappointment. And now they're saying they'll be separated for a majority of the game? Boooo!!!!!
Old 06-04-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Booo!!!

The sections in the previous games where you had to play them separately were the weakest sections of those games, and also why Quest for Booty was such a disappointment. And now they're saying they'll be separated for a majority of the game? Boooo!!!!!
At least they gave Ratchet a pair of hover boots to make up for the lack of Clank. I wonder what they'll do to compensate during the Clank-centric levels.
Old 06-04-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A must buy for me - I love the games!
Old 06-04-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Must buy here too. I've loved everything in the series, with the expection of "Deadlocked".
Old 06-04-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks like the same game I played two years ago... but that's okay. I loved Future. It was my first R&C game so the franchise hasn't worn out its welcome with me yet.

With that on the table, I hated Clank when I played Future. I was glad I didn't have to deal with him in Quest for Booty. I certainly wouldn't be upset if you don't save him until the end of this game.
You should pick up the ps2 trilogy. The first one is very different compared to the sequels but they're all still fun games. "Up your arsenal" Is still my favorite R&C game.
Old 06-15-09, 11:02 AM

I love Ratchet and Clank. Bought all of the PS2 games and it was the main reason for me buying the PS3. I bought Tools of Destruction before I got my PS3 and also imported the Quest for Booty disc (not available in the US).

Will definitely be picking up A Crack In Time when it's out! Those and the God of War games are 'must haves' for me.

--Rick
Old 06-15-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone is looking for a cheap R&C:FTOD, Amazon has it for $30 now.
Old 06-16-09, 10:41 PM

Game Informer has a detailed preview in the new issue. By far the most interesting stuff is about using time as a gameplay element for the first time.

Throughout the series, fans have always gotten a kick out of the dedicated Clank levels and A Crack In Time is no exception; messing with time is now his central mechanic. "Clank will have to solve puzzles by using recordings of himself to get through various puzzles." Algeire tells us "The challenge comes in tiiming the other recordings correctly, and then re-recording the Clanks as you get into the tougher puzzles. It sounds complicated when I describe it, but is actually really fun and intuitive to play. It's one of the new features we're most excited by here in the office."
They also reveal that there is new space combat and exploration sections that are freely explored with hidden collectables and upgrades. Also they say that ground levels are far more open than before allowing players to choose their own path in less linear gmaeplay, like the Sargasso level in "Tools" or the Merdegraw area in "Booty", with a goal of having larger levels that encourage exploration and experimentation.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. We'll see how those Clank levels play out, but if they're ending up like Braid puzzles, they could be a cool change of pace for the series.
Old 06-16-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Ugh, sounds much more like that horrible fucking Blinx game than Braid.
Old 06-16-09, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Ugh, sounds much more like that horrible fucking Blinx game than Braid.
Oh god, I hope not. I can't imagine Insomniac putting out anything that bad. I think the Clank levels needed more variety - the Lemmings thing only goes so far. I hope this new gameplay style will be interesting and fun, but I guess we'll see soon enough...
Old 06-16-09, 11:29 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

They also reveal that there is new space combat
I always hated the space combat levels. Never felt like they belonged in the game. It's like a FPS with driving levels.
Old 07-02-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pre-order bonuses:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...order-goodies/
Old 07-02-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TLwizard
So do you get all that stuff if you pre-order or do you have to pick one? It's not exactly clear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.