Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any DVD players that will play PAL(reg 4) videos on NTSC TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any DVD players that will play PAL(reg 4) videos on NTSC TV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-00, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to be able to get aussie footy dvds to play...Is there such a puppy?

Old 05-12-00, 06:32 AM
EAV

Try the Raite AVPhile 715, it does a great job on all of my PAL disks (Region 2 and Region 4).
Old 05-12-00, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that the one where macrovision was able to be disabled???

If I do this, I want a top notch quality player for US stuff too, since it will be swapped out with my sony 330 in my HT and I have a pretty nice HT setup
Old 05-12-00, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Apex 600A will play them, but no one would call it a high-quality player, although you can disable the macrovision on mine (that's going to change in future models). I don't think that you will find a high-end player that will do the PAL conversion to NTSC out-of-the-box, but maybe I'm wrong?

I've resigned to the fact that in the future I will want two DVD players, the one I've got that plays EVERYTHING, and someday one that plays region 1 REALLY WELL. Hopefully, it can be a disc-changer too, so I can eventually swap out the multi-CD player in my system.
Old 05-12-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kunert,

I have an email into supremevideo.com. They sell some name brand multi region players. I would love it if they had a Sony that would do the job...That way I can use pointclick for a discount.
Old 05-12-00, 10:30 PM

Try this place..Sony is one of the brands
they carry. http://www.codefreedvd.com/

Old 05-15-00, 03:22 PM

Yes, but the key here is PAL video on an NTSC only TV.. The only way you could do it with a -player only- is either the Raite or Apex players.. Neither of which are stellar performers or comparable to the Sony 330 in terms of picture quality and reliability..

You could also buy a player that is able to output NTSC or PAL but you would need to also buy a PAL to NTSC converter.. They are not worth it in my opinion and the quality is actually worse than the conversion in the Apex. I tested the best of the best (the tenlabs TR-11) and there were poor comb filter artifacts galore!

I would stick with NTSC if I were you... PAL is just too messy to deal with in the US...

--mike
Old 05-15-00, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks leemik, unfortunately that is what I am finding. Though supreme does have some multiregion sony players.

I guess my aussie rules will have to stay on hold...

Need to get a player since the cd player laser just burned out this weekend too...
Old 05-16-00, 03:34 AM

The other thing you should note is the apex often buggers up 1.85 anamorphic discs. Instead of displaying in their 1.85 ratio, instead stretched to pan and scan type image. Very annoying...the solution? A 60 Dollar Hollywood Plus card and a region free dvdrom..not the best of solutions, but hey it works.
Old 05-18-00, 12:57 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Furious:
The other thing you should note is the apex often buggers up 1.85 anamorphic discs. Instead of displaying in their 1.85 ratio, instead stretched to pan and scan type image. Very annoying...the solution? A 60 Dollar Hollywood Plus card and a region free dvdrom..not the best of solutions, but hey it works. <HR>

where can you get that card, or any other detail would be appreciated, i have a seperate dvd player, but wanted to set up my pc for disks from other regions, and this looks like the best option, rather than buying a second dvd player like apex or something.

------------------
Nihilo Sanctum Estne
Is Nothing Sacred
Old 05-18-00, 02:03 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sammanet:
where can you get that card, or any other detail would be appreciated<HR>

You should be able to get this card from most local computer shops (the small ones usually have it).

Check out http://www.sigmadesigns.com/ for more info.

Cheers,
Patrick