Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony DB8/930, DE935, or DA333?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony DB8/930, DE935, or DA333?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-00, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am upgrading my couple years old DE915 in order to take advantage of DTS capability, but cannot decide between the three. They are all in the same ballpark price-wise (well, the DA333 is a little more expensive, but it is an ES after all).

Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-00, 11:35 PM

Stay away from the DE line, the DB line is a little cheaper than the ES line as you mention, however I believe the ES line has a five year warranty in the US---its only 3 years in Canada. I bought the 333 last year and I love it. The remote is a bit of a pain, but otherwise I haven't had a problem with it. A word of warning about the remote---if you change batteries in it, remove and replace them one at a time. My son, dropped the remote, all the batteries fell out and I had to re-program the remote--you don't want to do that if you don't have to.
Old 05-17-00, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just bought the Sony 333ES. Patman was very helpful in helping me decide. And I actually got it for the same price as the DB930. I got it for $450 locally at a shop.
Old 05-17-00, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BrianK, So how do you like the ES333?

I don't think it matters if you take out the batteries one at a time or all at once, once you take one out, you've broken the current path anyhow.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-17-00, 02:26 AM

Patman,
So far I love, it's gone past all expectations (and yes the blue light is unexplainably COOL!). From the two receivers that I had before this, the Sony is much clearer. PLENTY of inputs for me. And DTS rocks! However I haven't been able to watch as many movies as I usually do due to the time of the year (I'm a part-time student, full time work, have finals, my girlfriend is graduating college this weekend, going to Las Vegas in two weeks, etc, well you get the idea). So I haven't tested as much as I want. Plus I still haven't received my Toshiba TW40x81 (supposedly any day now!) and I'm sorta waiting to enjoy everything at once. But thanks again for suggesting the 333ES, I really couldn't be happier for the price and I already know that I can recommend it to others.
Old 05-17-00, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only aspect that is slightly annoying with the 333ES is that it takes about 2-3 seconds for DTS or DD to kick in. Other than that it is a pretty well rounded receiver for average HT. Lots of features without the high cost of high end line receivers. Great bang for the buck that will last you several years.
Old 05-17-00, 03:57 AM

Thanks for all of your help everyone! I've been a browser on this site for quite a while and just now decided to join in. It's good to see a lot of friendly response.

About the receivers, I know that the 333ES is a little lower on the power (80 X 5 I think) than the 930DB(110 X 5)--but then again it's all about the QUALITY of the power isn't it? How loud do I possibly need to go?

Is the 333ES a warmer sounding amp or what??

Or should I just wait for the new models to come out and see what changes they have made?
Old 05-17-00, 03:34 PM

While I can't compare it to the DB930 I think my 333ES sounds great. And as for lower power, my living room is a decent size and I can't imagine turning it up more than half way. A quarter of power is what I call "normal" for me. If I want it LOUD for a loud movie it would never be over half. So the 80 vs 110 I thought was a factor when I was looking but now realize it doesn't matter in my case as it sounds like it wouldn't in yours either.
As for the new models if you feel like waiting you might want to. I'd be tempted to get the new "grey" look if I had waited but knew that I can't wait for anything.
Old 05-17-00, 10:24 PM

Thanks briank,

I have the same problem with waiting, so I think I will probably go with the 333 if I can find a good deal for one.