Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robin Hood (The Disney Version)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm making my way, more or less chronologically, through the Disney animated features. Re-discovering them, if you will, as an adult. Haven't seen many of these in over 30 years. Just recently watched Robin Hood (The "Most Wanted" dvd edition).

Reading somewhat less-than-stellar reviews of this, I had fairly low expectations... but dang if I didn't have an absolute blast while watching this one! More so than many of its predecessors, in fact.

Any other fans of this one out there?

This one was just plain old fun for me, from start to finish! Loved Peter Ustinov as Prince John. Like Hans Conreid did with Captain Hook, Ustinov really delivered a true "performance" here as the villain. Not easy to do when it's just your voice, but he pulled it off magnificently. And I also really like the supporting characters in this one, from Phil Harris (again!) as Little John to Friar Tuck and the Sherriff of Nottingham. All very memorable and very well done. I can't understand why this one doesn't seem to get the praise it deserves.

My only complaint would be that the ending is a bit abrupt -- we are basically told by the Rooster Minstrel that King Richard had returned and set things right. However.... for those who have the "Most Wanted" dvd edition, there is a terrific bonus feature: an alternate ending. This alternate ending is much better, IMO, and actually shows King Richard returning and arresting his brother Prince John for treason (just moments before Prince John is about to kill a wounded/weakened Robin Hood). I much prefer this alternate ending and I wonder why it wasn't used. Perhaps they thought that it was a bit too dark for the intended younger audiences?

At any rate, this one definitely has replay value for me and deserves to be held in higher esteem, IMO.

Last edited by moonraker; 05-29-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Robin Hood (The Disney Version)

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it being my second favorite Disney animated, just behind Jungle Book, and yes, I feel it is very underrated.
Old 05-29-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There was actually an earlier, live-action Disney film about Robin Hood. Made in 1952, it starred Richard Todd as Robin and Peter Finch as the Sheriff of Nottingham. I don't think I've ever seen it, but I'd sure like to. It was directed by Ken Annakin, who died this past April.

Here's the IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045197/

(Richard Todd's still with us and turns 90 on June 11.)
Old 05-29-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

One of our favorites too. We just have the old edition, but I'd really like to see that alternate ending someday. I even have a couple of the songs on my iPod.
Old 05-29-09, 04:44 PM

This is actually my favorite Disney cartoon, perhaps in a tie with Aladdin. I can't make any claims about it having the "best" anything, but everything really works for me. It's one of the few films from my childhood I'll happily re-watch every couple of years, there are just so many great little characters and moments to be enjoyed.
Old 05-29-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a fun flick.
Old 05-29-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Oodalahlee oodalahlee golly what a day...
Old 05-30-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found it, but it's in Spanish...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0MM9srtzuc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0MM9srtzuc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-30-09, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sheriff of Rottingham: The old man is Locksley.
Prince John: Are you sure? He looks like Mark Twain.
Old 05-30-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I remembered enjoying this as a kid, so when my wife joined Disney Movie Club this was one of our sign-up purchases. I was amazed to discover just how absolutely goofy it is. I found myself literally laughing aloud frequently at how absurd a lot of the movie was. And yet, because the whole thing was meant to be taken that way, it was great. I found that my adult self enjoyed Robin Hood as much as my child self had, even if for different reasons. We have yet to upgrade to the "Most Wanted Edition," though.
Old 05-30-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved this as a kid. Maid Marion's chicken lady-in-waiting was a hoot.

"Every town has its ups and downs. Sometimes up, sometimes down. But not in Nottingham."
Old 05-30-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved it as a kid and still love it today
Old 05-30-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite line:
Prince John: PJ... I like it; put it on my luggage.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RD8dxZY4pQY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&start=453"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RD8dxZY4pQY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&start=453" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

And here it is in... Finnish?

Last edited by shaun3000; 05-31-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-31-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Definitely one of my favorite Disney flicks. I think it is mostly due to the overall story, as I enjoy most robin hood stories is read/watch. Same thing with peter pan.
Old 05-31-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one of my favs, second only to Dumbo....I think the criticism a lot of people have about it is that a lot of the animation is recylced from previous Disney movies, but I don't care, I still love the story and characters!
Old 05-31-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Definitely one of my favorite Disney flicks. I think it is mostly due to the overall story, as I enjoy most robin hood stories is read/watch. Same thing with peter pan.
Totally off-topic, but dude, your signature line still cracks me up! It's even funnier in a thread like this.