Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX 360: Component or VGA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XBOX 360: Component or VGA?

Quick question as I have an older model of the 360.

I just bought a Sharp AQUOS 46" (LC46D65U) HDTV today and plan on hooking it up in my bedroom with my 360 this weekend.

Since I don't have a 360 capable of HDMI, which is the better way to go? Do I just keep on sticking with component (like I am currently doing on my old school Sony 36" HDTV from seven years ago) or do I make the upgrade to VGA (which the Sharp is capable of doing)?

On a side-note, I also have the XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on; if that makes any difference (besides it being a waste of $50 two years ago).
Old 05-21-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: XBOX 360: Component or VGA?

I don't think you can hook up the 360 via VGA. I could be wrong but I thought it was component or HDMI only.

Nevermind. I'm wrong.

And after doing some researching.. I think I'm gonna get this cable. Seems cheaper than buying an HDMI 360.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 05-21-09 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Edited to reflect new information...

Your television supports 1080p over component, however, the XBox 360 system only allows games & downloaded/streamed video to be output at 1080p over component. HD DVD is locked at 1080i and DVDs will not be upconverted, they will be displayed at 480p.

The highest resolution you TV can support over VGA is 1600x1200 so its not full HD over VGA.

The best option would be component since the TV would not accept the 1900x1200 signal from the XBox VGA cable.

Last edited by emachine12; 05-21-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-29-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so I bought VGA cables based on reviews from other sites. Although, I should've came here because after a couple hours of using VGA I had to switch. I messed with calibration as much as I could but couldn't get it to look good.
Old 05-30-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Quick question as I have an older model of the 360.

I just bought a Sharp AQUOS 46" (LC46D65U) HDTV today and plan on hooking it up in my bedroom with my 360 this weekend.

Since I don't have a 360 capable of HDMI, which is the better way to go? Do I just keep on sticking with component (like I am currently doing on my old school Sony 36" HDTV from seven years ago) or do I make the upgrade to VGA (which the Sharp is capable of doing)?

On a side-note, I also have the XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on; if that makes any difference (besides it being a waste of $50 two years ago).
you're best bet if you can afford it would to be go out and get a new arcade unit that has the new chipset and hdmi. that way you've got 1080p and both the internal and HD drive upconvert standard dvds. plus they run sooo much cooler.

if that isn't an option for you go with the component cable, but you're not doing yourself any favors by keeping that older version xbox around if you want the best looking picture.