Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Defunct Rock Bands to Revisit

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps one of the greatest tragedies in the music world is a band that has broken up, and their great music lost or forgotten. I dedicate this thread to such bands. Their music should be revisited and enjoyed by a new generation. Here's a few on my list:

Big Wreck -

This band made a brief splash in the 90s with the single, "The Oaf". Big Wreck featured one of the most unique vocalists. His voice is so rich, and their music is deep with great guitar effects. Their music is just so layered that you never get tired of listening to the songs. Highly recommend their "In Loving Memory Of..." release.

Savatage

While technically still a band, fans have not seen a true Savatage album in years. The band has pretty much morphed into the successful Trans Siberian Orchestra, and fans of TSO would enjoy exploring the roots in Savatage albums. I really enjoyed the heck out of the early 90s releases like Edge of Thorns and Handful of Rain. Savatage carried on while Nirvana killed the guitar solo. lol

Anyone wanna add to the list here?
Old 05-20-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Defunct Rock Bands to Revisit

one time I saw Kings X at a club in NYC, forgot who opened up for them
Old 05-20-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Faith No More - just way ahead of their time. Angel Dust is one of the finest metal records I've ever heard.
Old 05-20-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dudes-

King's X hasn't broken up. They're not so high profile, but they're still cranking out some rockin' tunes.

Also, Faith No More is more once again. They're doing a European tour this summer and hopefully hopefully hopefully they'll rock the colonies this fall.

I'll add the obligatory nod to Soundgarden. Tight band all around.
Old 05-20-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
one time I saw Kings X at a club in NYC, forgot who opened up for them
King's X is my all time favorite. They released a new album last year, one of their best ever. You can find the video to "Pray" on youtube.

Galactic Cowboys may have opened for them, another defunct band. They were good friends with King's X. Like King'sX , GC featured crushing hard riffs with beautiful Beatles type harmonies. On their debut alum, they have one stretch of music that lasts over 20 minutes!
Old 05-20-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep, King's X are still around. Their first 8 albums (Out Of The Silent Planet to Mr. Bulbous) are all good to excellent, but the last 4 (Manic Moonlight to XV) have all been pretty bad. I think their main problem is that they have so many solo projects and outside projects with other bands now, that the songwriting gets spread around too much and none of it is really very good. There is only so much good stuff, and when you have to write for 3 or 4 projects instead of just one, they all suffer.
Old 05-20-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Not sure if they count, but I enjoyed the temple of dog record.
Old 05-20-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yep, King's X are still around. Their first 8 albums (Out Of The Silent Planet to Mr. Bulbous) are all good to excellent, but the last 4 (Manic Moonlight to XV) have all been pretty bad. I think their main problem is that they have so many solo projects and outside projects with other bands now, that the songwriting gets spread around too much and none of it is really very good. There is only so much good stuff, and when you have to write for 3 or 4 projects instead of just one, they all suffer.
I agree in general that their early stuff is better than their later stuff, but I don't think their late stuff is all bad. Some good stuff on XV- jeffbase mentions "Pray", "Blue" is good, as is "Alright" and "Go tell somebody". Frankly, I'm just glad their still around- I'd love to catch them in concert someday if the wind is blowing just right.
Old 05-20-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was a huge fan of King's X in the late 80s/early 90s, love their first 4 albums, but kinda stopped following the band right around 92/93... based on some of the talk here I'm gonna take a look at some of the albums after that. Great band.

Apropos of nothing regarding their music, but I just read on Wiki that Doug Pinnick came out of the closet in 1998... I wonder how this affected their sizable Christian audience?

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-20-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-20-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I was a huge fan of King's X in the late 80s/early 90s, love their first 4 albums, but kinda stopped following the band right around 92/93... based on some of the talk here I'm gonna take a look at some of the albums after that. Great band.

Apropos of nothing regarding their music, but I just read on Wiki that Doug Pinnick came out of the closet in 1998... I wonder how this affected their sizable Christian audience?
The fallout was pretty immediate. Their cds were no longer sold in Christian stores. It was a stretch in the first place to call them a Christian band. The only real link was vague spiritual lyrics and a Bible verse in the linear notes.

I would definitely recommend checking out their other releases. They also released a two cd live album. Ear Candy is one of my favorite. Welcome Home is the weakest IMO. Very short and not that catchy.
Old 05-20-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Whatever happened to Tora Tora?
Old 05-20-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saigon Kick. Their first album to this day is still in my regular play rotation.

Same with WildSide. Under the Influence is such a great album start to finish. If only they had arrived on the hair metal scene a few years earlier they may have been big.
Old 05-20-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser

Definitely check Dogman and Ear Candy. Tapehead is a personal favorite of mine as well.
Old 05-20-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Badlands
Old 05-20-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Acroma

God did I love this album for a few years. After a while you can overplay an album. They were a mix of Tool and Live, with some grunge elements thrown in. Lyrics occasionally strayed into self-pitying, woe is me territory best left to that baby in Stained. But overall, it was a very promising debut. Some nice use of odd times and some very memorable songs.

Typical victim of the decade. No radio, no MTV, no label support, no tour. They released an album that went nowhere and were dropped, and gave up in support. A real shame.

Last edited by Traxan; 05-20-09 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 05:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Big Black. They only released two studio albums (Atomizer and Songs About Fucking), but they're brilliant. Future indie producer Steve Albini was the lead singer/guitarist for the band.

Also, DNA. They were a No Wave avant garde trio from New York in the late 70's/early 80's. They recorded one album (compiled with outtakes and alternate tracks on the CD DNA on DNA), and in 1993 one live album got released as well. Despite this meager output, they're one of the most interesting bands to have come out of the No Wave movement.
Old 05-21-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Elastica! God damn that first album was absolute perfection. It's so sad they imploded and barely did another album. Which you should never listen to. Absolute garbage.
Old 05-22-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Whatever happened to Tora Tora?
they are done but they did reunite one time at Rocklahoma last year
Old 05-22-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Triumph... they did 2 festivals last year and were planning a new tour, but everything fell through
Old 05-26-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
King's X is my all time favorite. They released a new album last year, one of their best ever. You can find the video to "Pray" on youtube.

Galactic Cowboys may have opened for them, another defunct band. They were good friends with King's X. Like King'sX , GC featured crushing hard riffs with beautiful Beatles type harmonies. On their debut alum, they have one stretch of music that lasts over 20 minutes!

remember now, it was Saigon Kick

i was in the front row that show and it was standing room only. one of the roadies gave me the set list from the show and i kept it a few years hoping they were going to hit it really big.
Old 05-26-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Sugarplastic

Witness (uk)

Failure