Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Norway's epic action/war flick MAX MANUS on UK PAL DVD/blu-ray soon!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting for this one for a while - Norway's MAX MANUS is coming out on UK PAL DVD and blu-ray early June:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id...d-in-june.html

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbK4WTQFf9U
Old 05-21-09, 02:10 AM

Re: Norway's epic action/war flick MAX MANUS on UK PAL DVD/blu-ray soon!

Thanks for the tip on this one. Looks great.

If you pass by Oslo do not miss the resistance museum. This country of 5M people gave a very hard time to the Nazis.
Those Vikings have all the reasons to be extremly proud of their country.

http://www.mil.no/felles/nhm/start/eng/exhibition/

Last edited by O=&=O; 05-21-09 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 08:29 AM

Max Manus is a good solid movie, with great performances from all involved. Only gripe I have is that it doesn't push any boundaries story-wise. But it looks and sounds absolutely great! They really managed to get a lot out of the budget for this. Even though it's the most expensive Norwegian movie ever, the budget was well below 10 million US$. Makes me wonder how something like Paul Blart can have a budget of 26 mill....
The release of Max Manus on dvd/blu ray is actually slightly earlier in the UK than here in Norway, but I'm guessing the extras will be fewer on the UK version.

The release is also a bit bittersweet, as the writer (and the one man who really fought to get this movie made) Thomas Nordseth-Tiller died recently. He was only 28 years old, and this was his first(!) script. One can only dream of what he could have achieved later. A truly great loss to the Norwegian movie-community.

As you might have guessed, I've pre-ordered this movie quite a while ago
Old 05-21-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Run,
Does the norwegian dvd have english subtitles and when is that dvd coming out?
Old 05-21-09, 09:01 AM

The dvd/blu is coming out june 17th, but unfortunatly doesn't have any english subtitles (only the scandinavian languages)
Old 06-18-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got my UK PAL DVD of MAX MANUS. Definitely the best Norwegian film I've ever seen! It's basically Norway's BLACK BOOK (only that Black Book was still ten times better).

The actor playing Max Manus is a pretty interesting one - he's like a cross between Paul Bettany, Steve Buscemi and Mads Mikkelsen.

The DVD quality is very good and it's got a great 45 minute documentary about the movie and the real Max Manus.

FILM: 8
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 9
Old 08-17-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUMP

Got the chance to give this a viewing. Lead performer Aksel Hennie (UNO) as Max Manus most certainly - especially because of the style of his haircut - had images of Steve Buscemi flashing to mind.

As to the film, it was a decent watch and I'd grade it out at average or maybe a bit above that...but I'd kind of hoped for better. I thought the performances were okay but nothing particularly memorable. The storytelling was rather episodic...you're in Finland, then Norway, then Sweden, then Scotland, and back to Sweden, and Norway, and back to Sweden, Scotland, Norway, etc....and the dates - via on-screen text - keep changing 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945. I just never got any real sense of the man Max Manus. Nor did I get any sense of the ebb and flow of the war and its effect on our characters as the story progressed...it was sort of flat throughout without a build-up of momentum, tension, paranoia, dread, etc. Though the film runs 113 minutes (via the UK DVD), I think it really needed much more time to get below the surface of things, flesh out the characters, and add some connective tissue between all the jumping around. Even the runtime they had wasn't necessarily used to the film's best advantage...for example, there is a female character (the same actress who also played the blonde girl from FRITT VILT) who plays a secretary working for the Germans. They expend a fair amount of screen time to her character, and ultimately nothing really comes of it and she is forgotten later in the film. I didn't feel there was any significance to her role, besides being a box-office draw so the film would have a hot blonde chick (like BLACK BOOK). MAX MANUS is definitely in the mold of the 1977 Paul Verhoeven/Rutger Hauer movie SOLDIER OF ORANGE. That being the case, I thought SOLDIER OF ORANGE - done over thirty years ago - was a much better film. I'll be reaching for ARMY OF SHADOWS, SOLDIER OF ORANGE, and BLACK BOOK far sooner than I choose to revisit MAX MANUS....no shame in that of course as those three films are very tough competition...but still MAX MANUS should have been better than what it was, aka FRITT VILT was a better entry in the slasher genre than MAX MANUS was in its genre.
Old 08-18-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
BUMP

MAX MANUS is definitely in the mold of the 1977 Paul Verhoeven/Rutger Hauer movie SOLDIER OF ORANGE. That being the case, I thought SOLDIER OF ORANGE - done over thirty years ago - was a much better film. I'll be reaching for ARMY OF SHADOWS, SOLDIER OF ORANGE, and BLACK BOOK far sooner than I choose to revisit MAX MANUS....
Yeah, Max Manus is basically a "good film to watch once" film. I can definitely watch Black Book over and over again. (Note to WW2 filmmakers - have your protagonists be "hot actresses", instead of starring "creepy dudes").
Old 08-19-09, 09:42 AM
Banned

Too bad. Kind of wanted the check this one out but I've got a huge backlog of titles to catch up on.