Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Fast and Furious -- 1 and 2-disc releases -- July 28, 2009

Artwork:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...d-furious.html

Some of the Extras:

"Under The Hood: Muscle Cars & Imports", "High Octane Action: The Stunts", "Shooting the Big Rig Heist", "Driving School With Vin Diesel", an original short film "Los Bandoleros", a digital copy, and more. The Blu-ray release will include all of that, plus additional U-Control features including a virtual car garage.
Is the short film the one reportedly directed by Diesel that shows what happened to Dom and Letty after the 1st film?
Old 05-18-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fast and Furious -- 1 and 2-disc releases -- July 28, 2009

I would have picked this up, but because of the glaring "IV" at the bottom of the spine, no dice.

I know studios want you to feel like you have to get every one, but I'll be damned if I'm picking up Tokyo Drift to complete the collection.
Old 05-18-09, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I would have picked this up, but because of the glaring "IV" at the bottom of the spine, no dice.

I know studios want you to feel like you have to get every one, but I'll be damned if I'm picking up Tokyo Drift to complete the collection.
So you refuse to buy a DVD because of 2 letters on the spine?

Went to see this in the theatre and enjoyed it much more then I expected I would, I'm sold on this.
Old 05-18-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corey31
So you refuse to buy a DVD because of 2 letters on the spine?

Went to see this in the theatre and enjoyed it much more then I expected I would, I'm sold on this.
Yes. I'm tired of studios try to enforce that it's a collection on buyers. We know it's a sequel, so why put the "IV" if only to make sure you also buy I, II, and III?

I can be a completist myself, and since I have no interest in owning the third movie, I would hate to have I, II, and IV up there, and I'm not going to buy Tokyo Drift to complete a collection.
Old 05-18-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Uh, WOW!
Old 05-18-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh this pisses me off. I have 1-3 but not the newer 2-disc versions. So obviously if I buy this one (with crappy artwork) then it throws everything off. I could buy them in BD but don't really want to.
Old 05-18-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't own any of them and probably never will, but I do like that they made this artwork match the recently re-released versions of the other three films.
Old 05-18-09, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Artwork:

Some of the Extras:

Is the short film the one reportedly directed by Diesel that shows what happened to Dom and Letty after the 1st film?
I was wondering about this, I assumed it was just the first scene in the film where they steal the gas trucks.
Old 05-18-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes. I'm tired of studios try to enforce that it's a collection on buyers. We know it's a sequel, so why put the "IV" if only to make sure you also buy I, II, and III?

I can be a completist myself, and since I have no interest in owning the third movie, I would hate to have I, II, and IV up there, and I'm not going to buy Tokyo Drift to complete a collection.
So you refuse to buy it because you can't control yourself not to buy Tokyo Drift just because of what a spine says?
Old 05-19-09, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
So you refuse to buy it because you can't control yourself not to buy Tokyo Drift just because of what a spine says?
No, I can control myself. As I said, I'd just hate to have I, II, and IV and know that the collection would be visibly "incomplete."

It's my choice. Some people like to think about what DVDs they buy.
Old 06-04-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Ugh this pisses me off. I have 1-3 but not the newer 2-disc versions. So obviously if I buy this one (with crappy artwork) then it throws everything off. I could buy them in BD but don't really want to.
DVDActive has posted new 1-disc artwork and final specs:

Assuming this 1-disc artwork is final, I'll definitely be picking up the 1-disc. Not only will it match my previous non-2-disc releases, but I don't really need the special features on the 2-disc for this movie nor do I need yet another useless garbage digital copy. Gag reel is really about all I care for. I may consider upgrading all to BD if the price is right in the future but not now.

Last edited by pridesticks06; 06-04-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I can control myself. As I said, I'd just hate to have I, II, and IV and know that the collection would be visibly "incomplete."

It's my choice. Some people like to think about what DVDs they buy.
No offense, but I find it pretty OCD to pass up on buying a movie you enjoy just because of a Roman numeral on the spine, when the movie should be the primary reason you're wanting to purchase it. You may want to get that checked out...
Old 06-05-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
No offense, but I find it pretty OCD to pass up on buying a movie you enjoy just because of a Roman numeral on the spine, when the movie should be the primary reason you're wanting to purchase it. You may want to get that checked out...
It's not OCD, it's a personal preference. As I said before, I don't want a series that says "I," "II, and "IV," because on my shelf it would look incomplete. I can prevent myself from buying Tokyo Drift, so like pridestick, I would opt for the 1-disc, which does not say "hey, you need to buy three more discs" on the spine.

As for me being checked out, I hardly think anyone on a DVD message board (including myself) should be handing out mental health advice to others.
Old 06-05-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I like the one disc artwork. That stupid red border makes the two disc art look like shit. I will probably get the two disc though, as I enjoyed the first two films. Ive got a nice 6 disc case with two spots open for this one, so the cover will get tossed. I just hope the second disc isnt going to be only that useless digital copy crap that they have been doing lately.
Old 06-05-09, 03:40 PM

It's not OCD, it's a personal preference. As I said before, I don't want a series that says "I," "II, and "IV," because on my shelf it would look incomplete. I can prevent myself from buying Tokyo Drift, so like pridestick, I would opt for the 1-disc, which does not say "hey, you need to buy three more discs" on the spine.

As for me being checked out, I hardly think anyone on a DVD message board (including myself) should be handing out mental health advice to others.
Nar, it is pretty seriously OCD
Old 06-05-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to take seriously the pilings-on of someone who uses the word "nar."
Old 06-05-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm not going to take seriously the pilings-on of someone who uses the word "nar."
Okay I have a question. You keep saying how you refuse to get Tokyo Drift. Did you see it and hate it? You do know that part of Fast and Furious ties into Tokyo Drift?
Old 06-05-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay I have a question. You keep saying how you refuse to get Tokyo Drift. Did you see it and hate it? You do know that part of Fast and Furious ties into Tokyo Drift?
Yes, I know that Fast & Furious ties into Tokyo Drift, but that's only though a line of dialogue and a character, nothing plot-wise.

I didn't hate it, I thought it was okay. The first movie was a pretty good Point Break rip-off, the first sequel had good car chases, but the third was just...eh. I think the fact that it felt more like a DTV spinoff than a sequel is what hurt it for me, but on its own it's not a bad movie.

I'm not a completist when it comes to movie franchises, so I won't buy the third just because of if its namesake.
Old 06-07-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Nar" isnt even a word in the English language.

Yes, I know that Fast & Furious ties into Tokyo Drift, but that's only though a line of dialogue and a character, nothing plot-wise.

I didn't hate it, I thought it was okay. The first movie was a pretty good Point Break rip-off, the first sequel had good car chases, but the third was just...eh. I think the fact that it felt more like a DTV spinoff than a sequel is what hurt it for me, but on its own it's not a bad movie.

I'm not a completist when it comes to movie franchises, so I won't buy the third just because of if its namesake.
I really liked the first movie. I also enjoyed the second. I own both. Never saw the third, nor had any real desire to. I don't own the third film. I will most likely get the fourth when it comes out, but I feel no need to get the third to complete the series. Isnt the 4th movie actually set in between 2 fast and tokyo drift? So my trilogy will end with the third installment.
Old 06-07-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Isnt the 4th movie actually set in between 2 fast and tokyo drift? So my trilogy will end with the third installment.
Yeah, it is 1-2-4, which makes for a great trilogy imo. Tokyo drift is just horrendous. I own it but I can't ever remember watching it. I've watched the first one a lot though and I'm sure I'll watch the 4th one too. I really can't blame anyone for not wanting the third and not buying it.

Last edited by pridesticks06; 06-07-09 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-07-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is hilarious, and makes me happy that I buy movies because I like the movies, and not because of whether or not there's an insignia on the spine.

= J
Old 06-07-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
This thread is hilarious, and makes me happy that I buy movies because I like the movies, and not because of whether or not there's an insignia on the spine.

= J
I do like the movie, but I'm entitled to not want to buy it for a particular reason.

Plenty of people on this board go to Best Buy every Tuesday to pick up five or six of the new releases to add to their collection of 5,000, plenty of people go out and buy every store exclusive of Iron Man and The Dark Knight, plenty of people buy sequels to complete the series, and you know what? Even though that may not be what I do, I never question it. I never say "why buy a movie you haven't even seen?" or "why do you need six different versions of Iron Man?" You know why? To each his own. And it would be nice if people would respect other's opinions on a matter as trivial as this.

But it's my fault, for expecting a mature response, as opposed to the one I got.
Old 06-08-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...To each his own. And it would be nice if people would respect other's opinions on a matter as trivial as this.

But it's my fault, for expecting a mature response, as opposed to the one I got.
nah, keep up the good fight. i do weird crap too and know it. its all about that land of the free and pursuit of happiness thing
Old 06-08-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like it matches the new rereleases. Got to see this for free when friend bought the other three version for the digital copies (I didn't even ask). Was about as good as one could expect from this sort of thing.

Spoiler:
Junk, but fairly entertaining. The biggest problem is that it totally blows it by killing off a major (and top-billed) character in the first ten minutes, completely wasting tons of potential, and most of all it play its aces up front. The first two set pieces-the truck-jacking and the race against traffic were easily the best in the movie. The tunnels stuff was too cramped, and most of the other non-car action scenes were unspectacular. It is hilarious to see Vin take a bullet in the shoulder and just scowl though. He doesn't really do much of anything in this one other than scowl and blink, if even that. Hopefully they can get Rob Cohen back on board to make the ACTUAL sequel after ten years and three other films, but I doubt it.
The homoeroticism quotient was also hilariously high. There were some might fine automobiles on display though.

Last edited by nemein; 06-10-09 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-09-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do like the movie, but I'm entitled to not want to buy it for a particular reason.

Plenty of people on this board go to Best Buy every Tuesday to pick up five or six of the new releases to add to their collection of 5,000, plenty of people go out and buy every store exclusive of Iron Man and The Dark Knight, plenty of people buy sequels to complete the series, and you know what? Even though that may not be what I do, I never question it. I never say "why buy a movie you haven't even seen?" or "why do you need six different versions of Iron Man?" You know why? To each his own. And it would be nice if people would respect other's opinions on a matter as trivial as this.

I think your position is completely understandable. If I really wanted the movie, and that "IV" bothered me enough, I would just get a new cover for the dvd. Plenty of those available online. I personally think that some of the people that get every single edition of a movie that comes out, are either a little off or have way too much disposable income, but if that is what they choose to spend their money on then so be it. As far as people respecting other's opinions, well the internet in general is not the place for that, with some forums being worse than others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.