Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone having problems with Amazon Visa lately?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having problems with their amazon.com Visa card.

Last month, I was massively under-credited on points (roughly 1300 or so less than I should have gotten). I pay all my bills, etc. on this card so I can accumulate rewards quickly, and typically get one or more certificates per month.

I called them and they gave me a "courtesy adjustment" of 500 points and change...still too low (and not a courtesy either...I earned those points, plus more still due me. I'm still trying to get this resolved).

Now this month's statement closed on Thursday and NO new points were credited at all. I go online and see that the points redemption center is undergoing maintenance from Thursday 5/14 until Sunday 5/17 and point redemption is unavailable.

The optimist in me says that maybe there have been other problems with the system and that they are trying to fix them. The pessimist says something is fishy.

NOTE: I don't have the standard amazon Visa; I have something called an amazon Visa Rewards card. I got a notice in the mail late last year indicating I could upgrade and receive additional points, including a three-month window where my points would be doubled. During this period, I placed every charge I could imagine on this card instead of one of my other ones (including a family vacation), and accumulated enough points for 23 amazon gift certs during the three months.

Could they be trying to slow down my redemptions? I wonder...
Old 05-16-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Anyone having problems with Amazon Visa lately?

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Just wanted to see if anyone else is having problems with their amazon.com Visa card.

Last month, I was massively under-credited on points (roughly 1300 or so less than I should have gotten). I pay all my bills, etc. on this card so I can accumulate rewards quickly, and typically get one or more certificates per month.

I called them and they gave me a "courtesy adjustment" of 500 points and change...still too low (and not a courtesy either...I earned those points, plus more still due me. I'm still trying to get this resolved).

Now this month's statement closed on Thursday and NO new points were credited at all. I go online and see that the points redemption center is undergoing maintenance from Thursday 5/14 until Sunday 5/17 and point redemption is unavailable.

The optimist in me says that maybe there have been other problems with the system and that they are trying to fix them. The pessimist says something is fishy.

NOTE: I don't have the standard amazon Visa; I have something called an amazon Visa Rewards card. I got a notice in the mail late last year indicating I could upgrade and receive additional points, including a three-month window where my points would be doubled. During this period, I placed every charge I could imagine on this card instead of one of my other ones (including a family vacation), and accumulated enough points for 23 amazon gift certs during the three months.

Could they be trying to slow down my redemptions? I wonder...
I received a few ceritificates for purchases about two months ago but haven't received anything since. I know I pay quite a few bills including all of our groceries as well as a lot other expenses go on it. I know I should have received at least one in the last few months and so far nothing. I, too have been thinking about this the past few days and your post raises some concern for me. I wonder what is going on?
Old 05-16-09, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to double check but I don't think anything has been wrong w/ mine.
Old 05-18-09, 06:07 AM

Actually I don't have any problem with them so far.
Old 05-18-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, their "maintenance" period is over and still I haven't been credited with anything for the statement that closed last week, and the balance from last month is still wrong, so I made another call to customer service.

They worked it out and said that I am owed a total of 5,074 points total for last month and this month, which sounds about right based on my rough calculations.

I'll be watching for the adjustment(s) to my account.

If anyone else is not receiving their gift certs on schedule, don't let it slide. Give customer service a call. I did ask them why I wasn't credited with points again this month, a question they promptly deflected. I hope that next month I don't have to go through this again.
Old 05-20-09, 12:46 AM

I haven't noticed any problems with mine but I'll keep a closer eye on it in light of your experience. I usually earn about 5 or 6 gift certs per year.
Old 05-21-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I've missed out on a couple certificates too, I've been meaning to call for months... pisses me off. If they don't offer to send me at least one I'm going to cancel...that's the whole point of having it!
Old 05-24-09, 04:07 PM

I checked mine and no more points in the last month. I guess you can only accrue 60000 pts in a year. I will be using another card. Thanks OP
Old 05-24-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schbee
I checked mine and no more points in the last month. I guess you can only accrue 60000 pts in a year. I will be using another card. Thanks OP
thems a lot of points in a year:

60,000 points = $60,000 worth of purchases anywhere
60,000 points = $20,000 worth of purchases from amazon

but that sucks anyway. thanks for the heads up
Old 06-04-09, 11:52 AM

The only problem I had with the Amazon Visa was Chase jecking up my rate from %10% to 14%. I told them where they aoulc shove their rate increase and cancelled my card. Keep your eye out it is probably happeneing to everyone in advance of the new credit card reforms.
Old 03-18-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I received a letter last wk saying they'd found some reward points that had expired (more like I never got credit for them imo) and they were going to add it to my point total during the next period. I checked today and I had about 13,000 points I was not expecting - giving me over 15,000. I couldn't order the $150 in gift certificates fast enough!