Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wu-Tang Clan: Chamber Music --- 6/30

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested.
Old 05-13-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: Wu-Tang Clan: Chamber Music --- 6/30

Throw ya W's up!
Old 05-13-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Fuck yes.
Old 05-13-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got out of Wu a long time ago, but if this record gets some REAL positive buzz I might check it out.
Old 05-13-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if they'll ever reach the pinnacle like they did with Wutang forever, but I'm hopeful.
Old 05-13-09, 07:10 PM

I never actively try to scoff when I hear a new Wu-related announcement, but I still will be reserving my excitement on this one until I hear some of it.

Cuban Lynx is one of my favorite Wu releases, and I have little hope for part 2, due in large part to me seeing his incredibly lackluster live performance. Ghostface was often one of my favorite members until, again, I saw him live. Though he does still put out the strongest studio efforts as of late, even better than Gza in my opinion. Pro Tools was an obvious attempt to please the fanbase, but I think it still fell short. And the advertised selling points, especially the ones blatantly listed in the "Why Buy" section, look like they're doing the same thing: trying to convince the old school fans that the Wu can return to their grimy glory while also attempting to hook bystanders. Do any true Wu Fans care or need to know how much The Wu and/or specifically 8 Diagrams sold and etc.? Where did this ad come from by the way?

I'm not a naysayer by any means, but all of Wu-Tang basically have to re-prove themselves to me. With the exception of Rza they've all been showing their laziness.
Old 05-13-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was really disappointed with 8 Diagrams. I'll give this a spin but I'm not having high hopes.
Old 05-14-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm almost positive this is not a group album. Its most likely leftovers from 8 Diagrams and Cuban Linx. This announcement basically came out of nowhere, without any of the group members mentioning it. They've all been working on their own stuff anyways.
Old 06-26-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RZA says "Chamber Music" is NOT a new Wu-Tang Clan album -- but it's pretty close.

"This is not a Wu-Tang Clan album, but this definitely feels Wu-Tang Clan inspired," explains the hip-hop impresario, who executive produced the June 30 set that features Clan members Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck and U-God working out with guests such as M.O.P., Kool G Rap, Havoc, Az, Tre Williams and more over live music beds played by the New York band the Revelations.

"I think the ('Chamber Music') title is very fitting. This music is totally in the chamber, or in the mind-frame of Wu-Tang like in the ('Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)') days. But it's not a Wu-Tang Clan album. The whole clan's not on this album. But it couldn't be in any other category but Wu-Tang."

RZA credits the "Chamber Music" idea to collaborator and producer Bob Perry, who proposed "an album with Wu-inspired music with you (Wu-Tang) guys spitting all over it and bringing it back to that vintage sound -- without sampling." An extensive search yielded the Revelations, who RZA says "just basically had the vibe" and allowed the album to have a consistent flavor across its 17 tracks. "It was like the old days where I would produce Wu-Tang Clan albums -- one producer, one mind, one sound," RZA notes.

On "Chamber Music" RZA also warmed to the idea of sending tracks around to the different MCs and singers rather than requiring everyone to be in the studio together. "I don't usually like to do that," he explains, "but in this case we were able to do that and get it successfully done. I'd rather have Ghostface right there. I'd rather have Method Man come to the studio. I still like the energy in a room, but in a digital age people are kind of ignoring that."

RZA says he and Ghostface Killah have "talked about" a new Wu-Tang album -- the troupe's first since 2007's "8 Diagrams" -- but haven't made concrete plans yet. "We'll see what life brings," says RZA, who's working on his film directoral debut, "The Man With the Iron Fist," and has a brief appearance in the upcoming Adam Sandler-Seth Rogan comedy "Funny People," as well as some performances on the Rock The Bells tour. "The Wu-Tang saga continues. We continue to just live out this hip-hop legacy and take our artistic challenges to other mediums...and we'll come together when the time is right. It's never an easy task, but I'm always up for that challenge."
Old 06-26-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, Ill give it a shot... With Ghostface and Ins Deck and guests MOP and Kool G Rap kinda hard not to.
Old 06-26-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other than a couple flaws, a great album. I loved 8 Diagrams, but it did lack the classic Rza production, which this album has in bunches. The negatives are: no Meth or Gza (my theory is the more Genius the better) and the fact that minus the skits, there are only 8 real songs on the album, so it's kinda ep length. Those 8 are very good though. The track with Havoc sounds like a Wu/Mobb Deep collaboration from the golden ages of the late 90's.
Old 06-26-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kurupt
Other than a couple flaws, a great album. I loved 8 Diagrams, but it did lack the classic Rza production, which this album has in bunches.
Actually Rza didn't produce anything on the album. I downloaded it and gave it a listen. Not very impressed at all. The album is very boring and very short. There are only 8 songs, none of which have more than two Wu members on a single track. No Gza, Meth or Masta Killa despite the advertisement saying it features the whole clan plus others like Killa Priest. None of the verses are that great and none of the beats are that great. Radiant Jewels is probably the stand out track but the whole project smells like a cash grab.
Old 06-27-09, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Downloaded it 5 minutes ago and I'm about to delete it in another 5 minutes.
Old 06-27-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The U God record Dopium is much much better for a Wu Tang fix in 2009.
Old 06-27-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never been able to stomach too much U-God. He's good for a verse here or there (Black Jesus, Wolves...) but I can't take him for a whole track. While I seem to like this album better than most of you, I'm really looking forward to Cuban Linx 2.

Last edited by kurupt; 06-27-09 at 12:13 PM.