Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

connecting receiver to subwoofer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

connecting receiver to subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-00, 08:00 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
receiver is Kenwood VR-307, subwoofer is...well, don't know yet, but i know the ones i see have the red and white inputs. the vr-307 has the one subwoofer out. so, is the connection a standard Y-Audio cable with RCA ends or is there a special subwoofer cable? Thanks!

--HN
Old 05-09-00, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I don't know anything about your receiver, but I think the way you hook a sub up will depend on the receiver and the sub (is the sub powered with its own amp?).

When I had my old pro-logic receiver, I hooked my sub up through the amp in the receiver with the front left and right speakers using speaker cable running between them.

Now with a dolby digital receiver, I use the line level rca jack output from the receiver to a y-adapter and into the L & R RCA inputs on the sub.
Old 05-10-00, 08:34 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
that second option sounds about right. so it is just a standard Y-adaptor with rca ends, correct?

--HN
Old 05-10-00, 02:29 PM

yes, that's how I have mine hooked up
Old 05-10-00, 02:30 PM

My DD receiver has a separate subwoofer output. The instructions with the sub I have told me to just connect the subwoofer output to the left channel input on the sub. One cable, no adapter. Easy, and sounds great.
Old 05-10-00, 02:50 PM

Kelric,
I tried this same connection as my sub instructions said the same thing. The instructions also listed trying a y adapter to run the signal to both inputs in the sub as an option.
So I tried it, and the sub will kick on in auto mode at a lower volume with both hooked up through y adapter. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'll take it.
Old 05-10-00, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

The two connections are just connected in the inside. This is for connecting l/r and then connecting to the sats for high pass filtering (it least on most subs). so just hook the rca from the reciever to either input and you will be fine.