Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

? on Progressive Scan DVD Players

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

? on Progressive Scan DVD Players

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-00, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to replace my Toshiba 2008. I really love Toshiba, and would like to stick with them if I can.

Here's my must haves:
5/6 disk carousel player
Supports progressive scanning (my TV is the TW40X81 and supports 480P/1080i. - Any comments on a 720P DVD player?)
DTS Sound capable
Component Video/Optical audio outputs

Unfortunately, I don't think Toshiba has this (although I think the 9100 is close, just not a carousel, which is a deal breaker for me.) Anyone have any comments or recommendations of other brands?
Old 05-05-00, 04:05 PM

No one makes a carousel model progressive player to my knowledge.

The Toshiba 5109 or 9100 would both fit the bill otherwise, both do DD5.1 and pass DTS and both have optical as well as digital coax audio out. They also have progressive scan component out, interlaced out, S-video out and composite out. You can get the 5109 for $500 or less. I've got one hooked up to a Toshiba TW56X81 and the picture is outstanding.

Don't think anyone makes a 720P player, since DVD is a 480 line format I'm not sure what the advantage of 720P would be, upconversion from 480 doesn't make a lot of sense. In any case the Toshiba widescreen models wouldn't handle native 720P.
Old 05-05-00, 06:42 PM

Just going to chime in and say that for the most part agree with steve f. [only slightly disagree that 720p could have advantages and I know of at least one 720p player in addition to HTPCs]

I also have the 5109 and think it has a great picture. It is the best bang for the buck right now. However, both the 5109 and the 9100 have been discontinued. Be on the lookout for the 6200 and 9200. They are priced about the same as the earlier models and use a 4:4:4 chip rather than the current 2:2:4.

Whether this will make much difference I don't know. Either the 5109 or the 6200 should make you happy. I wouldn't recommend on going to the 9100/9200 as ,IMHO, it is not worth the extra money.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-07-00, 09:39 PM

When using a very sharp TV display, like a big screen front projection CRT system, 480 scanlines is not enough - you will see black gaps between scanlines! That's where upconversion to 720 can come in, and image enhancement DO exist with some upconverters to make it look better than 480 too. HOWEVER... Your Toshiba does NOT support native 720p, so this is moot anyways...

If a carousel is a dealbreaker, get an external DVDO iScan line doubler instead - $599 or thereabouts. You can hook any settop DVD player to it, even a 200 or 300 disc DVD changer if you wanted to. And you'll get great looking output that is superior to the Toshiba's internal line doubler. The picture will be extremely similiar to a 5109/9100 although the 5109/9100 may do it better because they run in the digital domain, while a line doubler requires an A/D-D/A conversion cycle on the video signal.

Alternatively, build a HTPC and use it as a progressive scan player. HTPC's can playback upconverted in 1-scanline increments (GeForce256 and G400 supports custom computer resolutions). If you use a HTPC with a Toshiba, you will need an Audio Authority VGA-to-YPbPr converter. The best information for Home Theater Computers is located in the HTPC forum at www.avsforum.com . Some people are using HTPC's as progressive scan players with HDTV's including Toshiba HDTV's. Stick to the G400/GeForce256 as they are the only ones that can safely output HDTV-compatible video signal timings.

(Note to other readers: HTPC's = Home Theater PC's)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited May 07, 2000).]
Old 05-08-00, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for all the tips! I may actually just end up waiting until the 480P is available in a carousel (it can't take that long, can it?) Since I currently have a working DVD player that is satisfactory, this will be OK for me. The only problem is my current DVD doesn't support DTS, so I can't listen to a few disks or use my DTS sampler disks #3 and #4.
Old 05-09-00, 01:06 PM

Mark,

I have a DVDO and a Barcodata 800 (so I am limited to a doubler, or so I have been told).

I think the DVDO is awesome for the money. However, it is very very soft for doing broadcast video (tv, sports, etc.). The job it does on DVDs is very acceptable, except for softness at distant shots (closeups are incredible). I have been thinking of trying out the PC approach. Would a PC provide improvements, in the areas described (i.e. improve on softness for broadcast signals and on far shots on DVD), to what I am getting from my DVDO (remembering that my data grade projector will not input greater than 31.5 hz).

Another associated question: is there a video card available that will allow me to adjust the frequency low enough to match the data grade?

Thanks

p.s. have you done side by side a/b comparisons between the dvdo and progressive scan players (many have said they are better than the dvdo and I am encouraged by your comment that the dvdo is superior)?

[This message has been edited by kennyb (edited May 10, 2000).]