DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Moviestop reserve price policy

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moviestop reserve price policy

Question of the day:
I reserved a copy of Goldfinger blu-ray at Moviestop a few months ago and called the store on release day to see if they were matching Target's sale price of $14.99, which the Moviestop clerk on the phone assured me they were. The store is pretty far from my home so I wasn't able to get up there until just yesterday, but now the manager at Moviestop is insisting that they actually aren't obligated to match Target's price since Goldfinger came out on Tuesday March 24 and the Target sale didn't begin until a few days later, on Sunday March 29. My assumption, of course, is that Moviestop's reserve price policy is that they match prices the week of release -- not just the DAY of release -- but since I can't find the policy actually stated in black and white anywhere (Moviestop doesn't have a website), it's hard to prove my case.
I'm obviously really ticked off about this, and am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing or knows if there is indeed some sort of "official" policy I can refer to.
Old 05-03-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Moviestop reserve price policy

They do match for the week, as long as the low price is nationally advertised. But as you say Target put it on sale that Sunday, which technically makes it a new sales week, different from the release week.

As cool as moviestop is, a lot of stuff they do is by hand. The computer is only going to track your reserve, credit, and their price. They have to look through a book to see other stores prices, and how much their reserve price is, to match it.

Too bad you couldn't get there quicker, with that much time, im sure it makes it harder.

Last edited by stingermck; 05-03-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
They do match for the week, as long as the low price is nationally advertised. But as you say Target put it on sale that Sunday, which technically makes it a new sales week, different from the release week.
Thanks for the feedback. Your explanation makes sense, but I'm still annoyed someone at Moviestop didn't just point this out back when the title was first released.
Old 05-04-09, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Question of the day:
I reserved a copy of Goldfinger blu-ray at Moviestop a few months ago and called the store on release day to see if they were matching Target's sale price of $14.99, which the Moviestop clerk on the phone assured me they were. The store is pretty far from my home so I wasn't able to get up there until just yesterday, but now the manager at Moviestop is insisting that they actually aren't obligated to match Target's price since Goldfinger came out on Tuesday March 24 and the Target sale didn't begin until a few days later, on Sunday March 29. My assumption, of course, is that Moviestop's reserve price policy is that they match prices the week of release -- not just the DAY of release -- but since I can't find the policy actually stated in black and white anywhere (Moviestop doesn't have a website), it's hard to prove my case.
I'm obviously really ticked off about this, and am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing or knows if there is indeed some sort of "official" policy I can refer to.
You expected them to match a price from well over a month ago because you couldn't make it out there?
Old 05-04-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You expected them to match a price from well over a month ago because you couldn't make it out there?
Don't think you read my original post carefully enough. I expected them to honor the commitment they made to me when I called them on the day of release. I made it quite clear at that time that I wasn't likely to be able to get to the store for at least several weeks, and I was assured that wasn't a problem, and that the reserve price would be honored no matter how long it took me to pick up the title.
Old 05-04-09, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Don't think you read my original post carefully enough. I expected them to honor the commitment they made to me when I called them on the day of release. I made it quite clear at that time that I wasn't likely to be able to get to the store for at least several weeks, and I was assured that wasn't a problem, and that the reserve price would be honored no matter how long it took me to pick up the title.
But that was a month ago and who knows if you were talking to a Manager or a general employee. Did they note it on your account? Not sure how the current policy is, but GameStop/EB used to pricematch if you had proof (ad) that was not expired.