Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Free Comic Book Day 2009, Saturday, May 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Free Comic Book Day 2009, Saturday, May 2

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

I almost missed this even though I used to be on their auto-mailer.
Old 05-02-09, 06:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2009, Saturday, May 2

I work every other weekend, and this makes 4 or 5 years in a row that I work (7a to 7p so I miss it) on FCBD.

Anyone know of an online store that lets you buy a pack of all the freebies?
Old 05-02-09, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

I almost missed this even though I used to be on their auto-mailer.
Thank You for your post or I would have forgot and missed out!
Bookery Fantasy in Fairborn, OH is giving away a small bag of freebie comics while supplies last. In my bag, I got DC Kids Maga Sampler/Shonen Jump Special/Sonic Evolution of a Hero/Avengers/Blackest Night/Star Wars the Clone Wars. Also, on the outside of each bag is a $2.00 off coupon that can be used "across the street" at the Bookery discounted comic book store. I walked over there, picked up the Silver Age Tomahawk #93(Gorilla cover!) and got that for free since it was priced at $2.00. Here is there website for exact location of the B&M store(click on Hours&Contact info button) for people in the Dayton, OH area- http://www.bookeryfantasy.com/
Old 05-02-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up about 40 free comics, and purchased 8 graphic novel/omnibus type books today. Wow, that's a lot...
Old 05-02-09, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made it to the 2 closest to me (40 min drive) got the regular FCBD books and at the other store got several of their overstock comics where they put a 0¢ price tag on all the books, it's a good way to check out the books. I think I got about 30-40 free books today. I did support the stores bought 3 hardbacks and some Mag size sheets, would have gotten an Omnibus but they only had one and it was one I had and it was 40% off. One of the shops also have free pizza there, and Storm Troopers/Tuskin Raiders/Vader and Iron Man

There's a couple of online places you can check out. TFAW.com is giving out 3 this weekend with any order. And Monday or Tuesday morning is they have any left from their regular subscribers milehighcomics.com will have some to give away.
Old 05-02-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went, but all the local stores were asses about this. You could have 1 free comic and any extras were a dollar each. I didn't even bother picking up a free comic and definitely didn't buy anything. In previous years you could have a copy of each and I also bought trades to give them some business but not this year. I'll buy Walking Dead from Borders instead.
Old 05-03-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Limit of three at my LCS so I got Clone Wars, Avengers, and Darkest Night. Don't really have a problem with the limit since there was a lot more traffic in the store than at any other time (not that I go that often). I guess I'd know this is if I bought floppies but they are promoting a bunch of "After Watchmen" titles for the millions of people who saw Watchmen and aren't comic fans already :eyeroll:. Identity Crisis, The Joker, and Red Son were a few in the ad, and Identity Crisis was one of FCBD books (probably a chapter, I'm guessing). They were also selling back issues at 50% off and everything else at 20% off so I got one back issue and a few trades to support. I'm kicking myself though for putting one back that apparently now is OOP--may go back for it even at full price. Still supporting the store, right?
Old 05-03-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

I took my son to the best local comic store around us and they were completely cleared out. We got there around noon and they said that there were actually people standing in line waiting for them to open this morning. The manager also said that he ordered 50% more this year than last and he had major holes in the shelves in just the first hour. Guess that is what you get when you don't put a limit on anything.

What's weird is I have taken my son the last two years before and we meandered into the shop around 2:00pm or later and there was still tons of free comics to be had. There was only an Avengers comic and an OZ sketch comic left so I grabbed him an Avengers one and we went to the 50 cent section. He's only 5 so we just grabbed a couple of Transformers, Space Ghost and stuff.

These guys are super cool at this shop so they just gave us the few 50 cent ones we picked up and the couple of brand new issues he wanted were around 35 or 40% off which was nice. They also had a drawing of some various prizes and my wife & I each ended up winning a Saw doll (the little creepy dude with swirls on his cheeks and a black suit on...I have no idea what his name is). Since we won two, some teenager looked really disappointed he didn't win anything so I gave him one of ours...especially since I am not a huge fan of the Saw films anyway.

My son was excited to get pix with several of the people dressed up there. Chewie, Green Arrow, Spider-man, a Clone Trooper, Supergirl & Princess Leia.

So all in all, it was a good visit but sucked he didn't get any of the freebie kiddie comics they usually carry. I and the manager just didn't understand why there seemed to be such a larger interest this year. He seemed genuinely puzzled. Maybe people really want anything free in this economy.
Old 05-03-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think the reason I was able to get so many different free ones is because I was buying some anthology comic books at the same time and there was hardly any traffic locally at my comic book shops at all. Pretty sad turnout. I purchased all of them in store instead of online just to make sure I helped support these local businesses.
Old 05-13-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've never gone to Free Comic Book Day before. Mostly, this is because I live in the Louisville area and there's another annual event on the first Saturday in May and I never wanted any free comic badly enough to deal with Derby Day traffic.

Anyway, my Crohn's was cooperating this year and my wife decided we'd chance it, thinking that most of the traffic would die down by noon and not pick back up until after six. We got to my favorite comic shop (The Great Escape) around 2:30 and we were out of there a little after 3:00. They had no formal restrictions, but asked that you only take something if you really wanted it. We snagged one each of probably twenty different titles, including some to give to kids in the family.

Plus, I finally bought The Collected Strangers in Paradise, Volume One used for $3.99. I decided that would be my "Indie Title I Always Heard Was Good but Never Spent the Money or Took the Time to Read" that I would finally read this year. So far, I'm digging it.
Old 05-14-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
...We got to my favorite comic shop (The Great Escape) ...
We passed through your way and landed up hitting three of these places in our journeys. They are pretty neat stores! I liked the one in Nashville best though (I think on, or just off of, Broadway).

My comic store was *packed* most of the day (surprisingly). I was the tenth person in line, and the first ten got some extra freebies (nothing overly exciting, but still..). It was cool though to see lots of kids there, which is a rare site in a comic store these days.