Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Crazy invalid payment message from Amazon

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-29-09, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the following message from Amazon:

<quote>We have not received a valid method of payment and thus are cancelling your order ... Please note you will need to place a new order for the item(s) you wished to purchase.</quote>

The crazy part is it is for an MP3 album download (which downloaded and I've been listening to).

It was on my Discover card (no problems with my card) and I have another outstanding order (for a DVD) which shows as still active on my account page.

Has anyone else gotten this? So was my download free?
Old 04-29-09, 06:47 AM

Re: Crazy invalid payment message from Amazon

Originally Posted by RandyM
I just got the following message from Amazon:

<quote>We have not received a valid method of payment and thus are cancelling your order ... Please note you will need to place a new order for the item(s) you wished to purchase.</quote>

The crazy part is it is for an MP3 album download (which downloaded and I've been listening to).

It was on my Discover card (no problems with my card) and I have another outstanding order (for a DVD) which shows as still active on my account page.

Has anyone else gotten this? So was my download free?

Make sure ir's not a phoney message (spam). I got one from PayPal (but it wasn't) saying my card had expired and to provide updated info. The crooks use all the right logos and graphics so it really looks legit so you have to be leery.

James
Old 04-29-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

That was my first thought as well, James. If you log-in to Amazon and don't see this message anywhere, then it's safe to ignore it.
Old 04-29-09, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what happens when you use the Discover Card!
Old 04-29-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dx23
That is what happens when you use the Discover Card!
hey! imho, discover card is a good all-around decent credit card for the normal basic stuff of life. if they havent changed it yet, its a full 1% back on all purchases with no limit and no expiration. 5% back on special categories that change every quarter. you can take the cash or increase the cash back ordering giftcards from select merchants (take the cash). plus excellent customer service from my experience.

so, why not try one out today?
Old 05-02-09, 06:26 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Noticed Amazon has a new payment page setup. I have over $30 in amazon gc balance and my order is only $23.xx. It says I need to select a valid payment option. GC radio button is selected, but I can't continue. Anyone else having this problem? What do I need to do?
Old 05-03-09, 10:37 AM

OP: You may want to contact amazon by phone, or not and take the freebie. Wait for amazon to process your DVD order, and see if you get the same message. You might want to consider the first message spam/phishing if you don't get any messages when you log into your account.

Phone toll-free in the US and Canada: (800) 201-7575 or (866) 216-1072
International: (206) 346-2992 or (206)-266-2992

Originally Posted by JB7
Noticed Amazon has a new payment page setup. I have over $30 in amazon gc balance and my order is only $23.xx. It says I need to select a valid payment option. GC radio button is selected, but I can't continue. Anyone else having this problem? What do I need to do?
Note, I don't know how Amazon.com's gift card system works, but you may need to buy something that is valued at or more than $30. This is likely not the case, but just a guess.
Old 05-03-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 05-03-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Uhhh, you got Phished.

Immediately change your password to Amazon. Call Discover and report your card Lost/Stolen and have a new card sent and do the same with any other cards as well.

If you've logged into your Amazon account--which it sounds like you did--so did the person on the other end and now has your credit card info. I can't remember if your 3-digit code shows up, but they might try to change the shipping addresses.

And finally, take careful notice on your email address notifications for shipments.

Hopefully, you can still log in and take these measures. If you have not logged into your account, then you don't need to worry because your info was not transmitted when you logged in. But if you have logged in and used that link to do it, you have to action immediately.

So for now:

1) Change your Amazon username and password

2) Call Discover and request a new card

3) Call any other credit card companies who's cards are also on your Amazon account

4) Monitor ANY activity on your Amazon account such as shipping destinations and different email addresses for notifications.

P.S. Your download was NOT free.

P.S.S. Do you still have the original email you got from "Amazon"? You should have an option where it shows all the details of the email (in Gmail for example it's "show details" in the upper-right hand side of the email message). This will tell you exactly where the email came from. And it won't be from Amazon's servers, I can assure you.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-03-09 at 02:26 PM.