Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best DD/DTS Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-00, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been considering the Nakamichi AV-10 and Marantz SR-18. Are there better ones available, and if so, worth the price difference. Secondly, how future-proof are these? I already got burned once when I was less informed and bought a Pro Logic receiver (which I'm still using) a couple months before DD came out--don't want to repeat this mistake.
Old 05-03-00, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're concerned about future-proofing, go buy a Denon 4800 or a Yamaha RVX1 (may be RXV1), they are pretty much state of the art DD/dts receiver with 7 channels of outputs (the Denon requires extra amp channels if you go with 7 channels), or there's also the Harman Kardon 7000.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-03-00, 12:22 PM

I personally think that any reciever will be "outdated" by the end of the year once dvd audio finally gets out. Just make sure the receiver has dolby digital,dts, and 5.1 inputs to accept outboard decoders and you'll be future proof. (The recievers mentioned all meet this requirement.)

If you post in the www.audioreview.com forum you should get an idea of what the latest and greatest reciever out there is.
Old 05-03-00, 12:23 PM

I have bought 2 recievers in the last 3 or four years (Marantz SR-96 and Pioneer Elite VSX-27TX.) Each of these was around $1500 and at the time I thought I was getting something that would be upgradeable (5.1 channel direct in, preouts, etc.) I finally got smart and bought the Lexicon DC-2. Its price is around $3000 fully loaded and it does not come with amplification. If you have a main in input for five channels on your current reciever this would work. The real advantage to Lexicon is that if a new technology come out, such as EX you simply take your unit in for an upgrade at a very reasonable cost (especially when you consider the cost of buying a new AV receiver every couple of years as new technology emerges.
Old 05-03-00, 12:42 PM
pmf

Besides the forementioned Denon & Yamaha, Onkyo is coming out with their new flagship receiver TX-DS989 in May. This machine has 7 channels of amplification and the capacity for software download anticipating the upcoming DVD-audio. There is a brief comment on the receiver in the current issue of Widescreen Review. The upcoming Marantz (14, I think) may also have a 7 channel amp. and people are speculating Denon's new model going that route just to keep up.

PF
Old 05-03-00, 01:29 PM

If you want the best the Onkyo TX-DS989 is looking like it. For all the details on it and also to download the full brochure click here-
http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...formationforum

Spero D.

Old 05-04-00, 01:25 AM
Cool New Member

You might if you want to wait take a look at the HK avr 9000. Both 7.1, THX and EX surround.
Old 05-04-00, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking for a good price try www.liquidprice.com I got my sony 555ES 2-day shipped for 600.00. I know its about 8 months old but I couldn't find it for under 1000.00 any where in the valley of the sun (Phoenix, AZ)
Old 05-05-00, 12:05 AM

Thanks so much for the replies, the Onkyo TX-DS 989 is looking like the mack daddy for the time being. Looks like I'll be holding out for this one.
Old 05-05-00, 02:53 AM

While we're on the topic of DTS, how is the setup different than for DD 5.1? How many speakers/channels do you need? And what/how exactly sounds better than DD? Do you need special connections to the receiver? I got a receiver with DTS decoder but whenever I play the DTS soundtrack I hear nothing. Do I need optical digital connections or is analog enough?
Old 05-05-00, 08:37 AM

I think Doug917 nailed it on the head.Get a good prepro that can be upgraded.That way you can also get a superior outboard amplifier.
Old 05-05-00, 04:39 PM
pmf

The_fox:

DTS is also 5.1 like DD except that DTS uses a lower compression rate hence may have a slight edge in fidelity but most people think the difference lies more in the encoding process.

In order to play DTS you need a DVD player that can pass the DTS bitstream (should have a DTS logo on the faceplate) to a receiver that can decode the DTS digital signal. Unless you happen to have one of the Panny or Pioneer players with built in DTS decoders then all you need is six channels of analog input from the player to the receiver for amplification.

PF
Old 05-05-00, 08:00 PM

Doug917:

People just love receivers and it's hard to break that mentality and go buy a pre/pro, mainly because the initial costs are higher.
But I agree with you. If you don't want to get burned, buy a pre/pro that is upgradeable (not all of them are). I got an Acurus ACT3 and I just love it.

I think the "flagship receiver war" is kinda silly. DD receiver. DD/THX receiver. DD/DTS. DD/DTS/THX. DD/DTS/THX/HDCD. DD/DTS/THX/HDCD/bipole or dipole surround option and 6ch inputs. Now throw in DD EX and DTS6.1. Either Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz will hold the crown for six months, and then somebody else can do more for less.
Old 05-05-00, 08:09 PM

here's a question, I recently bought a jvc-888 and did not want to hook up the rear speakers because I was moving. When I attempted to play apollo 13 with the dts version there was absolutely no sound. I called jvc and asked if I needed to hook up all 5 speakers and sub? He said yes I did, is this true? I can play everything with dd without any problems, ok thanks for any help

[This message has been edited by tavarua88 (edited May 05, 2000).]
Old 05-06-00, 08:31 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by pmf:
The_fox:

Unless you happen to have one of the Panny or Pioneer players with built in DTS decoders then all you need is six channels of analog input from the player to the receiver for amplification.

PF
<HR>

Thanks. I have a Pioneer DV-525 with analog inputs to a Pioneer receiver with decoder but I did not get any sound. I'll try to play with it a bit. For now I only have one DTS movie, so it is not a big deal yet.
Old 05-07-00, 01:35 AM
pmf

The_fox:

According to S&V's DVD players guide your DV-525 should be able to pass the DTS bitstream. If your Pioneer receiver has both DD & DTS decoding capability (there should also be a DTS logo on the faceplate) the only problem I can think of is in your DVD player's setup menu.

PF
Old 05-07-00, 03:32 AM
pmf

The_fox:

After reading your post I kinda wonder why are you using the ANALOG connections b/w your DVD player & the receiver. Are you sure you are getting DD5.1 with this setup since the DV-525 does not have a built in decoder? For DVD players w/o decoders you have to use either the coaxial or optical connections to deliver the digital signal to the receiver to be decoded before you can get either DD or DTS 5.1 sound.

PF
Old 05-07-00, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of those receivers I would chose the Marantz. I currently own the Marantz SR-96 and wish it was a SR-18, although Marantz is famous for not incorporating upgradability into their machines. As far as future compatibility goes I too would look for seperate amps and a nice pre-pro. It'll cost a little more but like they say, it's 100% future proof. Lexicon processors are also of some of the best on the market. If you seriously like Marantz as well you can't go wrong with 6 MA-500's or MA-600's (amps) to power your system. I used to own a pair of MA-500's to power my speakers and I loved them. Beautiful sound, and you can't get more upgradable then mono-blocks ($150 each used), 6 of those for $900 is probably the BEST amp deal on the market. Combine that with a decent pre/pro and you've got an incredible system.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-00, 03:50 PM

pmf:

I didn't know that. The thing is I am still saving to buy more speakers, for now I only have 2, so I only have stereo sound anyway. I was curious about comparing DD stereo with DTS stereo, but at this point it probably doesn't make much of a difference. I think I'll look more into it once I will have all the speakers I need