Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP! NHT 1.5 or Supertwo?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP! NHT 1.5 or Supertwo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-00, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi guys,my friend from oklahoma is going to sell me his NHT supertwo(used as front for 1 month) for $490 or NHT 1.5(used as rear) for $390.i am going to get these later :

marantz sr-8000
NHT superone/zero (as rear).
supercenter/audiocenter
velodyne CT 120

so,should i buy NHT 1.5 or Supertwo?i think supertwo come with built-in sub woofer which is not good enough.would it be a waste if i use velodyne ct 120 as my sub?

i do not have chance to audition these speakers since i live in a very small town.

i would be grateful eternally if someone could give me some advice

[This message has been edited by tyloh25 (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 10:44 PM

The super2's are basically a super one with an additinal downward firing 6" bass drive, so it would probably be a better match for the superone/zero in the rear. From what I understand the 1.5 is a better speaker overall, and the bass will be adequate since you plan to add a powered sub.

Check out www.audioreview.com for speaker reviews of both.
Old 05-03-00, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 1.5's need a stand, which if you don't already have one, may cost the difference in the price of the 2 speakers. Something to consider at least.
Old 05-06-00, 01:03 AM

I don't think the 1.5's are magnetically shielded, so you may need to be careful how close you place them to your tv.
Old 05-07-00, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.5's if you're going to listen to more music than movies, and go with the super two's otherwise.

The 1.5's are part of the angled geometry series of NHT which will really sound sweet for music or one person for HT. They direct the image to the center of the listening position meaning people sitting to the sides or off center won't get nearly as good imaging as the person in the middle. Which is why the two's are better for HT. They'll spread out the sound a lot more, they'll also fill out the bottom end a little better until you have time to get that sub in there. No matter how big your speakers are it's ALWAYS good to have a sub for home theater. My mains are full range and I still need a sub to throw that boom in when explosions hit and planes crash. It just gets you into the movie more. Music, I don't need a sub.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-00, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You also may want to see if you can talk him down a bit on the Super Two's if you go with them. I often see the NHT 2.5i's go for around $600 on Audio Review and Audiogon, which is a much better speaker.