Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a $400 DD/DTS Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for a $400 DD/DTS Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-00, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations? I was considering the Pioneer 608 until they discontinued it at
Best Buy. My gf gets a 25% discount there
so I would be more willing to get something
they keep in stock. I know they carry Sony
and Pioneer brands......any other ideas?
Old 05-05-00, 05:34 PM

I have a jvc-888 which isn't that bad has both dts and dd. I got it at hifi.com for 399 w/free shipping. wow my first post at dvd talk.
Old 05-05-00, 07:34 PM
BEC

A yamaha 795a will run $425-$450 from Crazy Eddies. Pointclick may still be giving a 10% reimbursement for CE (CE is not a listed store, but they were still on the reimbursement form).

Best Buy carries the Yamaha 5150/595a - another solid machine. Spec'd at 70 watts by Yamaha, but that is a conservative rating. It's comparable to Pioneer's 85w (at least).

Old 05-05-00, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two of the most popular DD/DTS receivers hands-down, the Sony STR-DE835 and STR-DE935, retail with MSRPs of $400 and $500, respectively. You can find them for mcuh cheaper online - some places sell the 935 for $400 or less.

- David Stein
Old 05-06-00, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the Sony DB line is a better choice over their DE line. Check the reviews over on www.audioreview.com - lots of glowing praise for the DB line, I like my DB930.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-06-00, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the input, people.
One thing: what is the difference between
the DE and DB line of Sony's? I consider myself fairly discriminating (I own some Monster Cable, hehe) but I have other hobbies besides home theater and can't afford something that is too expensive. I'm looking for something with a load of inputs because I have 3 video game systems. What fits the bill? Thanks much.
Old 05-06-00, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The DB line is from Sony's European line of receiver outfitted with US power supplies, for some reason, the Europeans have a higher standard when it comes to receivers.

The DE line is Sony's generic consumer line (Best Buy, Circuit City class of receiver), and like I said, not really up to snuff like the DB and ES (DA) line from Sony.

Regarding inputs, I don't know how you thought you were going to get all the inputs you wanted by going with the Pioneer 608, it'd be tough, by maybe do-able.

If you only hooked up a DVD player, and 3 video game systems, you could get away with the DB930 (hook the video game systems to Video 1, 2, and 3). Video 1 has S-video and composite video inputs, Video 2 only has composite video, Video 3 is the front A/V input with both S-Video and composite inputs.

Then you also have a DVD input and a DSS input, both inputs have S-Video and composite video inputs.

If you check my HT link below, you can find info/specs/pics of the DB930.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Patman (edited May 06, 2000).]
Old 05-07-00, 02:27 AM

I was recommended Onkyo Onkyo TX-DS575
for 374 + shipping at bestpriceaudiovideo.com

can anyone tell me about this recvr.??? and bestpriceaudiovideo

Other palces like crutchfield have it for $499.

thanks in advance!!!!!!
Old 05-07-00, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only drawback to the Onkyo 575 is that it lacks S-video switching. Otherwise, an economical and impressive initial foray into a Dolby Digital/dts A/V receiver.

------------------
Old 05-07-00, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second the notion for the Onkyo 575. As far as I've experienced it's probably the best for your moeny receiver on the market. To me S-Video switching is nothing though, just one less button to push...If you're going for higher end though I'd have to through out this suggestion. Outlaw Audio's 1050 Receiver. Outlaw mopre an amp company than reciever and although I haven't heard this receiver it's specs are hard to pass by. For $599 (factory direct ONLY) you get all this:

6x65 watts 20-20,000 hz (REAL 65 watts per channel, not those 1khz-20khz ratings)
Yes you read right! 6 Channel Surround Sound!
Dolby Digital EX
DTS
Dolby Digital 5.1
Discrete amplifiers
Pre-amp outputs for every channel (add bigger amp later)

To me this looks like an extrordinary deal, considering I heard a little rumor that Digital EX in the near future will only be availible with THX certification, which means no more affordable EX receivers. If you can spare the extra cash I would reccomend this over any other receiver out there right now, but remember, I haven't heard it either though. Although their last receiver the 750 got rave reviews.

Looks damned good to me...
Old 05-07-00, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forgot the link if you or any one else is interested...
www.outlawaudio.com