Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is going on with Half-life 2: Episode 3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything at all about Episode 3 since last summer.

It cracks me up that the original reason Valve wanted to do episodic games instead of making a full-fledged Half-life 3 is because they could develop the three episodes much more quickly. The original Half-life came out in 1998 and it took them six years to make Half-life 2 which came out in 2004. Instead of making a Half-life 3 which they claimed would take another six years, they decided to make three episodes to wrap up all the loose ends and finish off the story. Well here it is five years later, and we are still waiting on the third episode. At this rate, they could have almost been done with a full-fledged Half-life 3.

Anyway, they really need to hurry up and get Episode 3 out because the Source Engine is definitely showing its age. Most of the kiddies will probably refuse to play it because it is too "ugly" and doesn't look like the Unreal Engine 3.
Old 04-27-09, 11:07 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What is going on with Half-life 2: Episode 3?

I love Valve. The have made nothing but great games over the last 10 years. Half Life 2 might be one of the greatest video game experiences I can ever remember. It was a game that my wife actually wanted to watch me play, and hit me on an emotional level that only RPG games usually do. They still make great games with the recent Left 4 Dead being an example. So it is with great difficulty I say this.

Just about every interview I have read, and reports I have seen on Valve shows a level of arrogance above most companies. Don't get me wrong, they have a right more than most to brag. Valve does great work. The problem is when a company reaches a certain level of success they feel they don't need to play to their audience. Smaller companies, or companies that might hit or miss will do everything they can to keep the customer informed. Valve, and rightly so, does not feel the need or desire to do this. They seem to always trickle out information when they see fit, especially when it comes to Half Life. They did release info on Left 4 Dead, but Half Life is their baby, and they know people will buy it no matter what.

So their official answer, though not a quote, is probably "You will get it when it is ready, and that will be when we feel like it, now leave us alone"

I understand a certain level of mystery, and I certainly don't want them to hit us with spoilers and such, but a bit of info would not hurt. They just act like "Hey you will get it when we are ready, you know it will be worth it."
Old 04-28-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
"Hey you will get it when we are ready, you know it will be worth it."
And it will be. Therefore I'll continue to wait patiently
Old 04-28-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. It's not like they haven't released anything lately. The Orange Box, that had Episode 2, also included Portal and TF2, and they have been working on those since released.
Same with L4D, and they just released a free DLC.
So yeah, they'll release Episode 3 when it's ready and it'll be worthy.

Funny thing, I have The Orange Box in PC and Xbox 360 and haven't been able to finish Episode 2 yet.
Old 04-28-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Anyway, they really need to hurry up and get Episode 3 out because the Source Engine is definitely showing its age. Most of the kiddies will probably refuse to play it because it is too "ugly" and doesn't look like the Unreal Engine 3.
They're not getting rid of Source anytime soon. It's a very easy engine to modify. They'll just keep tweaking it to their current needs.

As for Episode 3. They were very up front that their would be a bigger time between Eps 2 and 3 than 1 and 2. I imagine it'll have even more chapters than 2 as well. They've also acknowledged that episodic content as we know it doesn't mesh with how Valve works. Sure they could've released all of them at once as Half-life 3, but we would've had to wait 6 years, we've all ready played the first 2 parts of the game.
Old 04-28-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I've seen lately was some artwork for it at SXSW Interactive... I'm sure that they're hard at work behind the scenes however.
Old 03-07-12, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 03-09-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

At this point, I think an episode 3 would probably be a major disappointment. The whole idea was that they could deliver them faster than a full sequel, but obviously we're past that now. For them to come out with another episode, and then another long wait would almost be an insult. At this point, I really hope they're just going to move on to Half-Life 3.

An exception would be if they do something where they release the episode as a lead-in to HL3 within a year, sort of like what they're doing for Arrested Development (also infamous for teasing fans).
Old 03-10-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're getting both Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and DOTA 2 from Valve this year.

I'm assuming if anything is coming out in 2013, we may see it at E3. It could be Half Life 3 ...

... or Left 4 Dead 3.
... or Portal 3.
... or Team Fortress 3.
... or DOTA 3.

Old 03-10-12, 09:11 AM

So if Half life 2 came out in 2004, then that means it's been about 8 years now. This is a really long time in between games. I'm suprised we don't have more news yet.
Old 03-10-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gabe is not naive... I bet he's got at least a handful of people working on it now.

If I had to make bets... E3 we'll hear... something? Maybe? Last year they didn't have to with imminent Portal 2 release.
Old 03-10-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by House
So if Half life 2 came out in 2004, then that means it's been about 8 years now. This is a really long time in between games. I'm suprised we don't have more news yet.
Yeah, but Episode 2 came out in what, 2007?
Old 03-10-12, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Yeah, but Episode 2 came out in what, 2007?
Episode 1 was 2006, Episode 2 was 2007, and Episode 3 was supposed to have come out in 2008.

Valve said there will not be an actual Half-Life 3. The three annually released episodes comprised together would essentially be the third game to finish out the Half-Life story.