Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which song does Britney rip off in "If U Seek Amy?"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehBgQeVKFQ

The beginning beat is sampled/ripped off a techno(?) song that they play at sports stadiums. Anyone know the name of that song?

Last edited by JTH182; 04-22-09 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-22-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Re: Which song does Britney rip off in "If U Seek Amy?"

Sounds like a generic beat to me.

Shitty song by the way. Has she released a decent song off this album yet? She needs to buy better songwriters with her money.
Old 04-22-09, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Shitty song by the way. Has she released a decent song off this album yet? She needs to buy better songwriters with her money.
But it's controversial! That trumps good any day of the week.
Old 04-22-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

West End Girls.
Old 04-22-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

April Wine "If you see Kay" Get it? "If" = F, "You" = U, "See" = C, "Kay" = K. Looks like Britney had the same Idea... Hardy Har....
Old 04-22-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
April Wine "If you see Kay" Get it? "If" = F, "You" = U, "See" = C, "Kay" = K. Looks like Britney had the same Idea... Hardy Har....
Thanks for explaining it to us.
Old 04-22-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Well, you do listen to Britney. I just read the thread title...
Old 04-22-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're probably thinking of that godawful (IMHO) Gary Glitter song, "Rock and Roll Part 2:"

Old 04-22-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
You're probably thinking of that godawful (IMHO) Gary Glitter song, "Rock and Roll Part 2:"
No.
Old 04-22-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a generic beat to me.

oh come on. I know it's easy to bash Britney because of who she is, but to be objective, she's putting the best pop music out she's ever recorded. Womanizer, If U Seek Amy, Circus, etc... are all good dance/pop songs and probably the best music she's ever made. I have never liked her, but if you just accept she's a pop singer and not some artist, the last two albums are probably the best work she's ever released. Of course, people who hate Madonna and Kylie because they don't sound like Iron Maiden need not investigate, but if you love a good fun dance-pop record and thought that Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head was a modern day pop masterpiece, I don't see how Brit's recent stuff can go wrong. Much much better than the crap she was doing years ago IMO.
Old 04-24-09, 11:20 AM

west and girls........
Old 04-24-09, 11:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds nothing like West End Girls (or West and Girls, for that matter).
Old 04-24-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds closer to "Get Ready For This" by 2 Unlimited.
Old 04-24-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Of course, people who hate Madonna and Kylie because they don't sound like Iron Maiden need not investigate,

You rang?
Old 04-24-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
oh come on. I know it's easy to bash Britney because of who she is, but to be objective, she's putting the best pop music out she's ever recorded. Womanizer, If U Seek Amy, Circus, etc... are all good dance/pop songs and probably the best music she's ever made. I have never liked her, but if you just accept she's a pop singer and not some artist, the last two albums are probably the best work she's ever released. Of course, people who hate Madonna and Kylie because they don't sound like Iron Maiden need not investigate, but if you love a good fun dance-pop record and thought that Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head was a modern day pop masterpiece, I don't see how Brit's recent stuff can go wrong. Much much better than the crap she was doing years ago IMO.
I completely disagree. I'm not fan of hers but at least "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and "Oops I did It Again" were catchy. These songs just plain suck. Womanizer is the same fucking word repeated ad nauseum. If U Seek Amy is dull. Circus is the only one of the three you mentioned that has a little life and is a little catchy.

I'm a sucker for a good catchy pop song and will listen to a lot of crap even if it is catchy. These songs are bad. But looking over her "Greatest Hits" cd on Amazon, most of her stuff is pretty bad. At least a lot of Christina Aguilera's hits were tolerable.

I just chalk up her song popularity to something I just don't "get"...like Miley Cyrus.
Old 04-24-09, 01:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These songs just plain suck. Womanizer is the same fucking word repeated ad nauseum. If U Seek Amy is dull. Circus is the only one of the three you mentioned that has a little life and is a little catchy.
I agree with this. I've heard the whole album and in my opinion there are far better pop tracks on there than Womanizer and If U Seek Amy. These two tracks sound like they were designed just to sell ringtones.
Old 04-24-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Womanizer and Circus are pretty good, and the most catchy stuff she's done since Oops I did it again and Stronger or whatever.
Old 04-25-09, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
You forgot the "Me" after "K"

All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to
"If" = F, "You" = U, "See" = C, "Kay" = K, "Me"
Old 04-25-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I completely disagree. I'm not fan of hers but at least "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and "Oops I did It Again" were catchy. These songs just plain suck. Womanizer is the same fucking word repeated ad nauseum. If U Seek Amy is dull. Circus is the only one of the three you mentioned that has a little life and is a little catchy.

I'm a sucker for a good catchy pop song and will listen to a lot of crap even if it is catchy. These songs are bad. But looking over her "Greatest Hits" cd on Amazon, most of her stuff is pretty bad. At least a lot of Christina Aguilera's hits were tolerable.

I just chalk up her song popularity to something I just don't "get"...like Miley Cyrus.
Baby and Oops were catchy songs yes, but both songs just screamed "teen pop", the type of music nobody over 13 would be caught dead listening to. Now she's going for a more adult dance/pop vein, stuff that gets played in dance clubs, etc... similar to Kylie or Madonna or Lady Gaga. Toxic is about the oldest Britney song that someone who likes that type of music and is over 13 can actually listen to without embarassment as if you're listening to Miley Cyrus or something.

With If U Seek Amy, I didn't care for it at first, but when I realized what she was saying, I thought it was freaking genius that Britney found a way to get "F U C K Me" on the airwaves, and the song is catchy too when you realize what she's really singing about, not about looking for a girl named Amy
Old 04-25-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the problem with these "artists." They have some success with catchy teen-pop songs and then think they have to "grow" as a artist which means making crummy non-catchy songs that deal only with fucking (or a social issue) but in more explicit terms.

A catchy song is a catchy song whether labeled teeny-bopper or not. And the sales go thru the roof because more than just teeny-boppers buy those songs. These new songs...not so much. (as obvious sales show in comparison to her early stuff).

Give me the teeny-bopper catchy stuff any day. I am not ashamed.
Old 04-25-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the problem with these "artists." They have some success with catchy teen-pop songs and then think they have to "grow" as a artist which means making crummy non-catchy songs that deal only with fucking (or a social issue) but in more explicit terms.

A catchy song is a catchy song whether labeled teeny-bopper or not. And the sales go thru the roof because more than just teeny-boppers buy those songs. These new songs...not so much. (as obvious sales show in comparison to her early stuff).

Give me the teeny-bopper catchy stuff any day. I am not ashamed.
If U Seek Amy is NOT catchy? Then why did suddenly "love me, hate me, say what you think about me, all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy" suddenly get stuck in my head a few weeks ago when I was waiting for a table at Olive Garden? The song is totally catchy, a catchy song is one that gets stuck in your head even when you don't want it to. A non-catchy song is one you'd be hard-pressed to remember how it goes five minutes after listening to it.

Anyways, you can't use the downfall in Britney's sales to just her... EVERYONE'S SALES ARE DOWN!!! 1.5 million is very successful in 2009 considering the state of the economy and especially the record industry. Even U2 hasn't yet broken 1 million in the states and they were a sure thing to do that (they will, it's just taking it's time getting there). Okay, 1.5 million isn't so hot to what Britney was selling in 1999-2001, but what people aren't talking about is how Beyonce is the reigning queen of pop in America, and her album is considered a smash hit for selling 2 million... 2 million is great for today's standards, but it's 1/4th what she was selling 10 years ago with Destiny's Child. So if Britney's "slumming" for only selling 1.5 million (which is more than double what her last album sold), why isn't Beyonce?
Old 04-25-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh...to each his own.

You do make a good point about sales across the industry. But I truly believe Ms. Spears sells records more due to her wacky life and media love/hate affair with her than quality of music. But that's nothing new in that industry, is it?
Old 04-26-09, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you don't get it,
of course they suck.!
Old 04-26-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Womanizer is pure genius. Saying the word Womanizer over and over and over again. I could have never thought of that...
Old 04-26-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yes, Womanizer is pure genius. Saying the word Womanizer over and over and over again. I could have never thought of that...
Apparently you didn't!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.